Retail Center At 4721 N. Main St.

s3mh

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1929-buy-five-redevelop-five-sell-one-million/

This is the old strip center with Cappellini's.  Sounds like they will clear out some old tenants from the article, but have not heard anything beyond the vague hints in the link.  With four big apartment complexes coming and lots of renovations and new construction in the area, it looks like is time for the retail "other shoe" to drop.  

• Like 1

What four big apartment complexes? On N Main?

Kinda weird that they bought this shopping center. It isn't really that bad. The motel next door between this shopping center and Spanish Flowers needs to be torn down. It used to have a prostitution ring going on there back in the 70s and 80s.

The motel next door between this shopping center and Spanish Flowers needs to be torn down. It used to have a prostitution ring going on there back in the 70s and 80s.

Disagree. The Admiral Motel's an exemplar of the area's local charm. I'm not aware of any prostitution rings going on there now, and would be sad to see it plowed under in favor of more featureless redevelopment.

• Like 1

Disagree. The Admiral Motel's an exemplar of the area's local charm. I'm not aware of any prostitution rings going on there now, and would be sad to see it plowed under in favor of more featureless redevelopment.

It's true that there used to be prostitution there in the early 80's. I dont know about now though. The 'ladies' used to walk the street late at night and talk to my friends and I while we rode our bikes. I do think this place need's to go or be remodeled. I really hope there isnt a huge apartment complex going up there. I do feel that its going to start working its way down Main to 45. 

What four big apartment complexes? On N Main?

I think the comment was about Heights retail in general, not just N. Main.

There are large multi-family projects either in process or planned for:

- Yale b/w 6th and 7th

- Yale b/w 5th and 6th

- Watson & Usener (Skylane site)

- 24th and Nicholson

Over 1000 units combined.

I think the comment was about Heights retail in general, not just N. Main.

There are large multi-family projects either in process or planned for:

- Yale b/w 6th and 7th

- Yale b/w 5th and 6th

- Watson & Usener (Skylane site)

- 24th and Nicholson

Over 1000 units combined.

Correct.  Of course, the net would be 800ish with the demo of Skylane. 

It has its charm, but is the neighborhood (Tampico Heights) ready for boutique hotels?

I think so... there is lack of available hotel space in the near vacinity.  I would want to see a bit more development along Main first but I still think it would do well. 

He just wants the vintage neon for himself, lol! Edited by Purpledevil

Correct.  Of course, the net would be 800ish with the demo of Skylane. 

I would have thought that given the size of the replacement, Usener would be a net increase in total units.

I haven't seen the newest plans for 5th and Yale, or any plans for 24th and Nicholson, but both could be in the 300+ range, and 6th and Yale is ~350.  I'd still guess net it's >1000.

I would have thought that given the size of the replacement, Usener would be a net increase in total units.

I haven't seen the newest plans for 5th and Yale, or any plans for 24th and Nicholson, but both could be in the 300+ range, and 6th and Yale is ~350.  I'd still guess net it's >1000.

You are right.  Skylane always looks bigger up on that little hill than it really is.  I think it only had 76 units.  So, a net increase of 200 units (Elan Heights is supposed to be 276 units).

TC's development does look like it will be over 600 units, possibly 700.  The JLB development is a real wild card.  They tend to go with 4-6 story complexes, but have done bigger ones.  I would expect at least 250 units. 

Whether it is 800 or 1000, that is a lot of people coming into the area, which will be a big driver for demand for retail. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

It does look dated but it works for me. Maybe because I'm old school. The Heights Place is eclectic and I can't wait to see how the complete renovations will come together once all the new tenants move in.

All in all, I actually like it too. I like retro looking designs sometimes... I'll definitely check this place out especially since it's down the street from me on N Main.

• 8 months later...

I wonder if there is such a thing as too much success when opening a restaurant?  Every time I went to FC early on, it was packed. I thought it was going to be packed all the time with all the big critical acclaim and did not see it as a place to go for a week night meal.  Or maybe the Location was a bit too ambitious (Most Houstonians probably do not think of a nice night out and N Main in the same sentence).  I hope this won't keep restaurantuers from doing interesting things in the Heights.  There are only so many $16 plates of shrimp and grits to go around.  

• Like 1

Big loss for the houston food scene, I always enjoyed my meals there and concept was unlike anything I've seen here or elsewhere. That said I had my bday dinner there 2 months ago (on Wednesday granted) but the place was barely half full. I'd like to think that the location presented some problems but it did seemingly do well the first couple of months. 

Id like to think they will revisit the concept in a more main and main location but I doubt it. 

Agree about listening to the guests. Each time we went in we were a little less impressed. Got rid of the happy hour instantly. Portions got smaller every time. We use to be able to order a couple dishes and be full but each time we went it seemed like another dish was needed. When you pay $36 for a half chicken that is the same size as a normal chicken breast it kinda makes you sad inside. Everything tasted great but when they opened I and others were hoping for a more casual place for frequent meals. It ended up being a more tapas style $100 date night place.