Tell DC we want Rail

Federal funds for any local project are a winner if your state/locality is a net taker. We are net payers in to the federal treasury. To the extent we participate in the fun, we're not taking "our slice of the pie", we're making everyone's slice bigger that we or someone in the future will have to pay for. If you have a project that benefits Houston, sell it to Houstonians and we can fund it, don't hide it in something coming out of DC. I'm mildly opposed to the idea, but warming to its necessity if we want to be able to move around at all, by car or otherwise in 20 years. Raise the funds locally and increase the accountability.

Loop 610 connects the second largest port in the United States to a highway that spans from one ocean to another. That's not exactly in the same realm of national economic interest as shuttling Galleria shoppers to a bar before heading back home, but clearing the highways of their cars may be at some point.   

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of broad strokes being painted: "Culberson doesn't understand mass transit" is one, but I honestly don't think METRO does all that well either (for reasons, see my post on page 1). "Culberson is anti-rail" is another extremely popular one, he just doesn't run street running light rail on Richmond...an important difference, which is irrelevant if you're blinded by love of light rail and the All-Important Original Plan, but it's a difference none the less.

Of course, politicians are supposed to be painted in broad strokes: you can stack those things (anti-whatever, think of your own examples) to make deliciously easy to hate.

There are lots of broad strokes being painted: "Culberson doesn't understand mass transit" is one, but I honestly don't think METRO does all that well either (for reasons, see my post on page 1). "Culberson is anti-rail" is another extremely popular one, he just doesn't run street running light rail on Richmond...an important difference, which is irrelevant if you're blinded by love of light rail and the All-Important Original Plan, but it's a difference none the less.

Of course, politicians are supposed to be painted in broad strokes: you can stack those things (anti-whatever, think of your own examples) to make deliciously easy to hate.

Culberson doesn't want rail on Richmond period.  Doesn't matter if it's street running, elevated or submerged.  This isn't necessarily because he's opposed to rail, but obviously some very "important" people to Culberson are opposed, so of course he will be as well.  It's not about what's best for Houston, it's about politics. 

Personally I think that the best east-west rail route would be a subway line down Westheimer, all the way out to Beltway 8, but whatever.  The closest Houston came to having a robust transit system was the 80s.  It's been all downhill from there. 

And BTW, I agree with you about METRO not knowing much about transit either.  It's all very frustrating. 

I told Culberson what a idiot he is to block funding for METRO, and other cities will receive the Federal money.  I would love to walk a few blocks and get on the University Line.  Go to NRG stadium, midtown, downtown,  Galleria and not have to drive with this traffic.  They must do something to Richmond before it sinks in the ground.  It is so awful!  We also need a light rail line to Fort Bend county and down Washington to 290 to connect with commuter rail.  We need to get him out of office!

Call it broad brush strokes if you wish, but I also remember Culberson being adamantly against any sort of rail use of the Katy Freeway, in favor of having that giant expanse of concrete, including feeder roads so wide as to be a hazard in some circumstances.  The latest dustup also included blocking rail funds for Post Oak, the net result of which is apparently the BRT.  Taken together, that constitutes the sum total of rail projects proposed for his district.  I don't doubt that his contributing constituency is the one he listens to (not to be conflated with the actual voters - it's a district where Satan could probably run as an R and be elected).  That constituency may well include some anti rail vested interest (though it escapes me who that would be on economic grounds).  

Having run across him professionally a few times before he was elected to Congress, I will only say that I was not impressed by any demonstration of deep thought, great brilliance, or vast wisdom on his part.

I honestly think that both of those were valid in a way...Katy Freeway has frontage roads that do seem a bit too wide in parts, some extra ROW would've been nice, but rail down Katy Freeway would've been an enormous project (no way that they just would've left the MKT intact under any circumstances), and the only reason the frontage roads seem too wide is that they're three lanes normally (which isn't especially unusual) and widen out near intersections to provide dedicated right/left turn lanes. [EDIT: The placement of the entrances/exits is another issue entirely]

As for Uptown, BRT really is the better choice considering METRO's plans and methodology.

I can understand Houstonians' frustrations toward Culberson, and whether he's actually thought through these types of things logically with it is rather ambiguous at best, but I can't fault those decisions.

Culberson doesn't want rail on Richmond period.  Doesn't matter if it's street running, elevated or submerged.  This isn't necessarily because he's opposed to rail, but obviously some very "important" people to Culberson are opposed, so of course he will be as well.  It's not about what's best for Houston, it's about politics. 

Personally I think that the best east-west rail route would be a subway line down Westheimer, all the way out to Beltway 8, but whatever.  The closest Houston came to having a robust transit system was the 80s.  It's been all downhill from there. 

And BTW, I agree with you about METRO not knowing much about transit either.  It's all very frustrating. 

Culberson's objection is ridiculous on so many levels. He stands for limited Fed government, yet he uses the power of the feds to deny a local government entity the right to execute the will of the people. The rights of few outweighing the will of many. Man, that doesn't sound like democracy to me.

His big and most vocal objection is rail on Richmond. However, in his district the rail is on Richmond from Shephard to Edloe. That's it. A total distance of 1.4 miles. That represents less than 12% of the whole distance. 

He also raises the issue that METRO can't afford it. To this I might agree. METRO isn't run well at all. They are the Murphy's law of local governance. This is / may be true. But if this is the case, how on earth could we get fed $ if the agency is so backwards and poor? Maybe more effort should be taken to revise the grant / fed $ allotment process than to just blacklist a local government agency. 

And what makes all this even more comical is that he's doubling down when he's already won! Metro will lose out on 20% of the 1% sales tax revenue until 2025. That 20 % will go to building roads and not provide transportation. METRO has also released a revised bus system! A system that is efficient and provides more reliable service for the same amount of $. It's literally what Culberson / Republicans has been asking government to do: Live w/in its means and provide better outcomes. Does he not realize that he's won? Does he even know that METRO released a new bus system layout? Has he ever taken a bus? 

This is the most idiotic statement ever. You do know that those hwy's you travel are FEDERAL highways. Meaning that they are hwy's which facilitate interstate commerce meaning it's completely ok for states to get funding to repair them. Like I said if were to build a High speed rail from say Houston to New Orleans then I would be all for it because it's constitutionally sound and is the correct use of Congress. One's that are State hwy's like 59 or 288 are suppose to be funded by the state of Texas.

Go read a book before you try to slid in such a foolish and nonsensical reply...

edit: had to reply what you said about I10 as well. You do know that I10 is the most traveled Highway in the United States right? It's also the busiest highway in terms of commercial goods traveled by semi. Your ignorance is truly shocking lol.

Expanding the highway in houston benefits people living in houston. If you're going to make an argument be consistent and not hypocritical.

They are federal highways but in cities the majority of users don't use them outside their state on 99% of their trips. The whole concept of interstate highways was bastardized when they were plowed through the middle of cities due to short sighted congressmen (hm that sounds familiar even now)

Okaaaaaaaaay, guess I'll ask again.

Does anyone know what was in the transportation bill that the House passed this week? Any money for light rail?

How dare you want to talk about something substantial! Wouldn't you rather rehash the same tired topic over and over again?

yes, let's keep it on topic.  i have not checked the recent transportation bill for light rail funding. last i heard, nothing was in the pipeline for future rail; although i haven't been following it closely.  

@Triton: Let's see, increased tolls on existing roads, new tolls for heavily congested roads, higher taxes on companies, and a threat of a veto from Mr. Obama over not including the $302 billion in new spending he wants for highway and rail programs.

That could accurately describe many politicians on both sides.

True, but there are a select few politicians who would go through the length he just went through to stop a project that was voted on and approved. 

http://www.houstontomorrow.org/commentary/story/ted-poe/

"Mr. Speaker, today I rise to introduce an amendment to strike section 165 from the underlying bill. Section 165 states that no funds in this or any other act may be available for light or heavy rail projects in Houston, Texas if the route goes through Richmond or down Post Oak Boulevard. This language is contrary to the will of the voters of Harris County Texas and should not be included in this Federal Government appropriations bill."

I am posting via my phone so I wasn't able to put that in the proper qoutation format. Anyways, that was spoken on the floor by Ted Poe today. It is my understanding that the bill still needs to be approved by the senate and the president so hopefully there will be an ability to change the language.

Huh, I didn't know Ted Poe was a Republican. This does kind of change things. You see, I was under the assumption that the people that wanted rail down Richmond were the anti-highway, left-wing types (not that those types of people are not part of the anti-Culberson crew, they most definitely are). 

It's just too bad I really don't like METRO and their light rail plans to begin with. It's kind of like the posters wanting both sides of the Ashby high rise debacle to lose...

[\quote] It is my understanding that the bill still needs to be approved by the senate and the president so hopefully there will be an ability to change the language.

Don't forget that if the language changes in the Senate, the bill moves back to the House to get reconciled.

Kind of surprising that Ted Poe of all people is trying to stick up for the light rail.  

I am not a huge fan of light rail either, but the language specifically says "light or heavy rail," and that I have issue with.  

[\quote] It is my understanding that the bill still needs to be approved by the senate and the president so hopefully there will be an ability to change the language.

Don't forget that if the language changes in the Senate, the bill moves back to the House to get reconciled.

Good point...perhaps I should have said that it would/might create some sort of dialogue.

Good point...perhaps I should have said that it would/might create some sort of dialogue.

Do you honestly see either of the Senators from Texas calling for a change in language to allow rail on the University corridor?

Ted Poe may have been a publicity hound as a state district judge, but he did at least conduct a survey on this issue.

Responsiveness to constituents - wow, what a concept.

Ted Poe may have been a publicity hound as a state district judge, but he did at least conduct a survey on this issue.

Responsiveness to constituents - wow, what a concept.

I know for a fact culberson was flooded with emails of support for the university rail but he chose to ignore them.

Do you honestly see either of the Senators from Texas calling for a change in language to allow rail on the University corridor?

Cool so the will of the voters is meaningless as long as this moronic congressman is alive

Cool so the will of the voters is meaningless as long as this moronic congressman is alive

That would make for a rather strange interview.

"Sir, why did you assassinate Congressman John Culberson?"

"Well, you see, I'm a big fan of light rail..."

Archived