Union Pacific Railroad Settegast Yard At 6800 Kirkpatrick Blvd.

Tower26

Houston is growing in all directions and in every aspect . One aspect is major demand in market  retail . Rail is in a very high demand around the state and country. With BNSF Bayport to the south and KCS Sugarland to the southwest and future expansion of the ship channel. UP located central northeast of the city and a several blocks from downtown in Fifth Ward has the potential to increase its intermodal capacity . Englewood being a East/West Ramp yard and Settegast being a flat North/South yard both are capable of increase in intermodal traffic and development .In a given scenario , if UP chose a yard for intermodal development , would it be Settegast or Englewood or both for intermodal expansion? 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that if Metro is considering a corridor for a northeast corridor , this would probably be a good lightrail segment reaching Deerbrook being that it's already a major railhub . It would probably be elevated as an express to Bush IAH and Deerbrook . The reason why I mentioned this area as many times as I visited this area for trainwatching . I could vision  what the vacinity could be. Great for warehousing and intermodal jobs . Liberty Rd. has alot of building space and industrial parks with I-610 , McCarty(Truckers Ave.), Pierce Staging Yard nearby . It would create many jobs and take the strain off the port especially since there will be future traffic from Brazil . It could help clean up and make Fifth Ward valuable including the Settegast community .

Tower26, you have to be the ultimate rail enthusiast. I read what you posted twice before I could get a grip on what you propose. I don't know if you expand either one of the two yards you mention, honestly. You've got the Lloyd Yard north of Rankin there, that to me, would be the prime candidate for intermodal expansion. It could literally become "the gateway to the Gulf" with trains coming in from all throughout the north. It would have to be widened, and maybe even lengthened to accommodate the increased stock rolling in, but there's not a whole heck of a lot built in the way of it making such an expansion to Lloyd. That line, if memory serves, would direct connect clear to the ship channel as well.

Just a thought. I'm sure there'd be opposition to further expansion of Lloyd from the area surroundIng, and may even be prevented from further expansion due to airport space.

Yes , that is possible Lloyd would be a good candidate being a direct connection to Davis and Settegast . Davis would make a good northern auto ramp because of the autorack traffic along the Hardy corridor which takes some of the strain off of the port as far as distribution of vehicles.Settegast is directly connected to the Turnin Basin to the south via Englewood doubletracked . Yep , the airport would probably block expansion because of the runway. It's just a given scenario . As the city is growing with the near completion of Grand Parkway and a huge influx of people moving here yearly,you probably would expect a huge increase in business and retail which would mean a demand in distribution. This would help the city and create jobs. This would help prevent congestion of lines in and out of the city.

• The title was changed to Union Pacific Railroad Settegast Yard At 6800 Kirkpatrick Blvd.

Archived