Just bought a new computer, with Windows 8 operating system.

So tell me what you hate about Windows 8!

Gee, where to start...

How about this one: If you want to create a new text file, you used to be able to right click on a folder, in the pop-up menu click "new", and in the next pop-up menu click your desired file type and enter the name.  But no more!  Microsoft, in all their wisdom has decided that this was too easy.  You get only one "new" option now: "Folder".  If you want to create anything other than another folder, well, tough noogies.

Now you have to click to highlight a folder, then go to up to the taskbar "ribbon" at the top, click "home" and "new item".  Yeah, that's it, a text file is now a "new item". 

What idiot thought up this change?

Your turn.  Go.

post-7596-0-33989800-1402110842_thumb.jp

Believe it or not, the current windows 8 -- I think it's called Windows 8.1 with update -- is way better than the "original" Windows 8.  

We tested Windows 8 at work when it was first released and it was a mess - my boss (CIO) tried using it for a week before he told me to get rid of it (he actually used much more explicit wording)....it would have required training for all our employees and just didn't work well. The touch-centric interface they tried to force on you was terrible for a desktop (what used to be called Metro) who in their right mind would want to use a touch-screen computer all day at work.  We found no reason to migrate from our current Windows 7 platforms which works great.  It appeared Microsoft was ready to abandon the corporate world when they released Windows 8 - the tight integration with Windows Live (try figuring out how to log in with a non-Windows Live ID), removing the Start menu, the retraining of staff that would be required, etc...  They have remedied some of these things with subsequent updates (the pseudo-start menu) but not enough for our company to consider upgrading.  We even order new PCs/Laptops with Windows 7 "downgrades"

Since the latest update has arrived, I have migrated my machine and my boss' machine (I convinced him to try it again) to "Windows 8.1 with update" and are not having too many issues, just some re-learning - once you get things set up after installing all your programs so you don't have to go to the  old "Metro" side of things, it isn't too bad - still no plans to upgrade anyone else though

With regards to adding a new text document, yep it's gone (who knows why they decide these things), but you can add things to the New... menu if you want, by editing the registry (ugh):  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140333

Rumors are the next update - Windows 8.2 ? - will bring back even more of the things people are complaining about (Start menu, better support for mouse and keyboard users)

I love Windows 7 (64 bit) so have no plans to change on my primary computer.  However, not to long ago I bought a small Asus notebook for taking on trips and it came with Windows 8. I was totally frustrated with it at first but with the update to 8.1 it's gotten better. I do like the touchscreen option since trackpads on notebooks and laptops never work that well.  I primarily use it just for email and internet anyway. One thing I hate is Windows 8 forces you to use a password. 

Yep, don't like the touch screen stuff.  For one thing, it just leaves greasy smudges all over your screen, and then you have to clean it all the time.  Why wave my hands all around, when I can just wiggle a mouse a few fractions of an inch. 

How about the new document viewers?  For example, click a pdf file an the file viewer opens.  Lo and behold, there is no longer that "x" in the upper right corner that we've always used to exit the document.  So how in the heck do you get this thing off your screen now?  You have to go google the internet to find out that Alt-F4 is how you exit.  Excuse me?  What idiot took away the friggin "x"?

Attached: pdf file display of an IRS form.  Yep, that's all the viewer gives you?  See any control buttons anywhere?  You get a plus and minus sign, and a scroll bar - that's it! How to exit when ready?  Nope, no clue given.  Need to do anything else?  Tough noogies! 

post-7596-0-63391500-1402194817_thumb.jp

Yep, don't like the touch screen stuff.  For one thing, it just leaves greasy smudges all over your screen, and then you have to clean it all the time.  Why wave my hands all around, when I can just wiggle a mouse a few fractions of an inch. 

How about the new document viewers?  For example, click a pdf file an the file viewer opens.  Lo and behold, there is no longer that "x" in the upper right corner that we've always used to exit the document.  So how in the heck do you get this thing off your screen now?  You have to go google the internet to find out that Alt-F4 is how you exit.  Excuse me?  What idiot took away the friggin "x"?

Attached: pdf file display of an IRS form.  Yep, that's all the viewer gives you?  See any control buttons anywhere?  You get a plus and minus sign, and a scroll bar - that's it! How to exit when ready?  Nope, no clue given.  Need to do anything else?  Tough noogies! 

I can't tell for sure from your screen print, but you may not have the latest 8.1 update - it gives you a hidden bar across the tops of the full-screen (what used to be called Metro) apps with an "X" in the upper right hand corner.  Take your mouse to the top of the window and it should appear

If you don't have the update, you have to drag the window down to the bottom of the screen from the top edge (if you don't use the keyboard shortcut you mentioned)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-close-app

You would think someone at Microsoft would realize that if you have to create a video to show people how to do something as simple as closing an app, you might have a problem with your interface.

I find the touchscreen is most useful when viewing a pdf (and being able to change the size/orientation by touching the screen.) It's also quite useful when you are showing something to multiple people without a projector.

I hate that, too. That's why I downloaded Sumatra PDF viewer. It allows you to view PDFs and still have the "x" in the upper right corner to exit the document.

I hate that, too. That's why I downloaded Sumatra PDF viewer. It allows you to view PDFs and still have the "x" in the upper right corner to exit the document.

I'll have to check that one out, haven't used it -- we use Foxit Reader at my company unless there is a requirement for the old standby Adobe Reader 

I have Win8.1 on my work laptop and I do see the right-click options. I never had to edit the registry or do anything funky.

menu_zps0527208e.jpg

Coming from a Windows 7/Mac OS background, I was frustrated with Windows 8 when I first received it on a new laptop. The thing that really turned me around was using a Windows 8 tablet for awhile. Then it all started to make sense. At its core, it's a faster/better OS than Windows 7, at least once you get over the interface changes. 

I have Win8.1 on my work laptop and I do see the right-click options. I never had to edit the registry or do anything funky.

Interesting.....I just checked my 3 machines running 8.1 here at work, 2 of them don't have the right-click options, but the 3rd one does....they were all clean installs (not upgraded from Win7) and very similarly configured....

With regards to adding a new text document, yep it's gone (who knows why they decide these things), but you can add things to the New... menu if you want, by editing the registry (ugh):  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140333

Oh man, I hate messing with the registry.  It seems like every time I do that, something gets seriously screwed up.  And even though I take a registry backup, then the registry restore will fail for some reason and I'm stuck with a serious problem.  I try to avoid doing anything with the registry at just about any cost... 

I can't tell for sure from your screen print, but you may not have the latest 8.1 update - it gives you a hidden bar across the tops of the full-screen (what used to be called Metro) apps with an "X" in the upper right hand corner.  Take your mouse to the top of the window and it should appear.

Thanks for that tip!  I have a ribbon appear with the "x" when the viewer first opens, but then it disappears about two seconds later.  And I couldn't figure out how to get it back.  Your tip of moving the cursor up there makes it re-appear.  That's much better!  How the heck are new Windows 8 users supposed to know that trick though?

Some of the employees in my office have laptops with win8, and there are a few servers with 2012, of course the software we use is supported on both win8 and 2012, so I have to know my way around.

It's not a bad OS, really, it just takes some getting used to, some things are easier to access, some things are harder. Overall, it's a more consistent interface.

Not even close to the worst MS OS, I think that one is nearing 20 years since it was released (win95a).

Archived