Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

I was at the Almeda Best Buy and overheard the manager mention that they will be open another year. Of course i asked what about after that? He replied that their new location will be at Gulfgate Mall. They will be open Oct 2007.

He said they are going where the pile of dirt stands now (behind HEB, Marshall's etc.)

I happened to pass by Gulfgate, and did take a look at the new Best Buy building - from what it looks like, it seems to be opening SOON as opposed to October.

I happened to pass by Gulfgate, and did take a look at the new Best Buy building - from what it looks like, it seems to be opening SOON as opposed to October.

early may was last i heard (7th)

Edited by musicman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here noticed the service quality at our Lowes has gone downhill...not sure if its just me or not. In the past I was always greeted and at least 3 people would ask if they could help. Now you cant find any help, the store is dirty and its just a real negative experience. Yesterday I was in line with about 100$ of building supplies, there was a super long line, and 4 employees off to the side (on break?) just having a great time playing grab ass with each other. I was so pissed I just left my stuff and went home. There was a great manager there and not sure where he went....damn its 8 am and now I have to drive to Lowes on 610 just to buy a damn window. (I refuse to go to home depot...that place is horrible). I would love to pay a little more for a nicer store...any suggestions?

my move from the gulfgate area must have been pretty close to the managerial move -- i hadn't experienced the now-crappiness at gulfgate, and the meyerland location has always seemed to be decent

it's unfortunate for gulfgate, though, since the home depot is so bad

Edited by sevfiv

home depot has too many contractor types with inadequate ck out for those purchases...on thing they are trying is a traveling ck out that someone scans all your items then swipes a card to add your info. When you reach the cashier you just hand the card, swipe it and pay. Unfortunetly the guy using the ck out needed alot more training, and the ck out person took forever to double ck everything..ahhhh progress...

The former employees that get the boot from Home Depot/Gulfgate usually get a new job at this Lowe's, that explains the pathetic service.

I dashed in and out of there (Lowe's) the other day and it appeared like a ghost town. I seldom go as they are way over-priced.

I hate to even start talking about that specific Home Depot. I loathe it. I go all the way to Fairmont Parkway or Fuqua locations as they are more professional and dont treat you as trash. Musicman was right go online contact main offices and let it all out! Nothing will change if you dont voice your opinion.

Personally, I hate that Home Depot more than Lowes. Razzy award for poor service.

• 2 months later...

Someone posted about the italian deli in Almeda Mall, that was Samperi's and they had a brick arch facade. I loved the smell of that place! They were right in the middle of the commons where the Christmas train would be assembled each year and where recitals and events would be held. I worked at the JC Penney in Almeda mall back in the 80s before its decline, and grew up in the area, I loved that mall!

Gulfgate, wow, I remember that too. Not the details you folks recall, but I do remember Joske's and the diner in the Walgreens.

I also remember the diner and the aquariums in the Woolworth's at Almeda mall.

• 3 weeks later...
Someone posted about the italian deli in Almeda Mall, that was Samperi's and they had a brick arch facade. I loved the smell of that place! They were right in the middle of the commons where the Christmas train would be assembled each year and where recitals and events would be held. I worked at the JC Penney in Almeda mall back in the 80s before its decline, and grew up in the area, I loved that mall!

Gulfgate, wow, I remember that too. Not the details you folks recall, but I do remember Joske's and the diner in the Walgreens.

I also remember the diner and the aquariums in the Woolworth's at Almeda mall.

Yes, Parkdale Mall over here used to have a Walgreen's with a diner and a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Both are now gone. There's a Fuddrucker's hamburger restaurant in the parking lot.

In front of the Gulfgate HEB there's a pad site with some activity. After being out of town for a couple of weeks, I noticed a large temporary canopy had appeared and several pieces of equipment were under it, trying to move the wet gumbo dirt. Anyone know what's going on?

i noticed it a couple of weeks ago too. they must be serious to bring in a tent to keep the rain out so they can work. i was assuming it was a restaurant of some sorts.

M01A0098.jpg

In front of the Gulfgate HEB there's a pad site with some activity. After being out of town for a couple of weeks, I noticed a large temporary canopy had appeared and several pieces of equipment were under it, trying to move the wet gumbo dirt. Anyone know what's going on?

HEB Manager told me it was going to be another bank. More gridlock, gotta love it. :)

Guest danax
HEB Manager told me it was going to be another bank. More gridlock, gotta love it. :)

Or, it might relieve the current bank based traffic on Woodridge. More banks for the same amount of people.

The latest addition on the Woodridge side is The Children's Place. This definitely is only a meat and potatoes shopping center at this point.

The latest addition on the Woodridge side is The Children's Place. This definitely is only a meat and potatoes shopping center at this point.

i think the best buy was a step in the right direction, not so sure about another bank though. at least it is progress for gulfgate area.

i think the best buy was a step in the right direction, not so sure about another bank though. at least it is progress for gulfgate area.

Now if only they could start pushing some of that progress over on Lawndale/Dismuke/Wayside corridor.

There is plenty of empty space there just waiting for new development. I envision (or dream rather) of seeing numerous fast foods ala; Dairy Queen, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, Golden Corral, etc there. The area around the Post Office on Lawndale is perfect for all of these establishments.

I know back the Twilight Zone.

Guest danax
Now if only they could start pushing some of that progress over on Lawndale/Dismuke/Wayside corridor.

There is plenty of empty space there just waiting for new development. I envision (or dream rather) of seeing numerous fast foods ala; Dairy Queen, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, Golden Corral, etc there. The area around the Post Office on Lawndale is perfect for all of these establishments.

Vert, your "dream" sounds like a feeder road nightmare to me :mellow: . I know abandoned businesses, taco trucks, ice houses and quickee marts are less than thrilling, but let's hope for something better than a junk food paradise. But then again, with that school going in nearby you might be right. <_<

If only it could be a replacement for the tiny Bank of America on the loop 610 corner across from Gulfgate! They do huge business in that branch - just try to get in their parking lot on a Friday! Once inside, there's at least a 20-minute wait. There are some banking chores that can't be done online or at ATM's.