Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

That has been remoured for years! I heard it when i worked at Office Depot in 2002! The office depot on edgebrook won't be there much longer.

It would be a shame to lose that particular Office Depot. Every time I've been in there it's been busy.

The only other office supply store in this general area that I'm aware of is the one on Telephone Road. It gets my vote as the least customer-friendly store in the East End. The one - and might I say the final - time I went in there, the sourpuss saleswoman was extremely rude to a group of men who were speaking among themselves in an East Indian or Pakistani language; they were obviously trying to find some file folders of a particular type. As a second-generation American living in a culturally diverse community, I deeply resented her attitude and left without buying anything.

It would be a shame to lose that particular Office Depot. Every time I've been in there it's been busy.

It's not closing down completly, That store and several others like the Wilcrest store are relocating. I hear near the old office max fot that store though. Which store are you talking about? There is OD on woodridge and "city office supply" behind it.

• 1 month later...
I don't know if this is new news but i noticed that a building permit was issued for a Fed Ex/Kinko's at Gulfgate.

1420 Gulgate Center Mall to be exact.

I had to mail a package UPS recently and found out that there's a UPS/copy center inside of all Office Depots, which is already at Gulfgate.

I had to mail a package UPS recently and found out that there's a UPS/copy center inside of all Office Depots, which is already at Gulfgate.

Yep, they all have them. We were once supposed to get "Fedex Drop boxes" but it never materialized. They are buidling a FEDEX Kinkos across from the OD on OST and Kirby.

Really? A BEST BUY!? That's awsome news. They maybe moving there sooner, cause they began moving dirt and have steaks in the ground.

Thanks, musicman.

I'm not doubting it (almeda is getting deserted)but i'll have to see it first. It's been rumored for years. A CVS/Walgreens would be nice in the area too. Nearest one is on griggs and 75. They're kinda runned down.

I'm not doubting it (almeda is getting deserted)but i'll have to see it first. It's been rumored for years. A CVS/Walgreens would be nice in the area too. Nearest one is on griggs and 75. They're kinda runned down.

i asked the manager there a few months ago and that's what he told me. sounded like it had already been in the work for quite a while.

What is runned down about the CVS and Walgreens? the CVS is relatively new as is the Walgreens. I can see if you were talking about the old Walgreens, but that's been gone for yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just driving around the Gulfgate addition which looked more substantial than just a Best Buy. I spoke with Wulfe & Co person handling it. She confirmed that Best Buy will be opening May 7th. I then inquired about the other retailers. She said that there will be more retail space but currently negotiations are in work with several.

Edited by musicman

OMG! Surf the web and there is no telling what kind of stuff you can find. I grew up in the Southeast side of Houston and can remember Gulfgate mall in its glory years. I can actually remember the "shopping center" before they enclosed it and it became one the first if not the first "malls" in the country. Someone asked about the Fed Mart that was across Woodridge from Gulfgate but how many of you remember the store Globe, which was there before Fed Mart? Also there was a Weingartens grocery as part of the mall at the corner of Woodridge and what is now the 610 feeder. As a kid I lived on Arnim which is one street past 610 off Woodridge. I remember when they opened the theatre at Gulgate because we were sitting at home watching it on TV and I remember being fasinated that what I was seeing on TV was going on like a block away from my house. My dentist was in the basement of the mall and the stairs were located on the wing that went towards the movie theatre, near the Newmans store. Newmans had a basement as well and thats where the toys were. Kids remember this sort of thing. There was also a great bakery/sandwich shop right next to the bank in the mall called Mize's. I actually drove through the tunnels under the mall when I took drivers ed in high school. Our instructor wanted to know what was there so he told me to drive down the ramp. There were three entrance/exits to the system. One was at the Joskee's/Dillards lower portion, one was along 610/Holmes Road across from the movie theatre, and one was next to Weingartens by the bank.

A good friend of mines brother actually crashed through the front window of Joskee's one time. We used to ride our bikes to the mall and get going real fast on the hill between where the bowling alley entrance was and the lower level of Joskees. when you got to the bottom you had to turn really fast to avoid the plate glass windows at Joskee's. Well he tried but was going to fast and crashed right through the window.

This will be a great location for a movie theater, not a 24, or 30 screens. I'm talking about maybe Alamo Drafthouse, a Movie Tavern, or Star Cinema Grill.

Demographics of the neighborhood wouldnt support such a venture....but it would be awesome to have something a little different in the hood.

Demographics of the neighborhood wouldnt support such a venture....but it would be awesome to have something a little different in the hood.

I actually would have to disagree. The restaurants in the area do well, esp if the food is good. The food would HAVE to be good for the venture to be a success.

well what I meant was, not sure people have enough expendable money for things like that...last time I went it ended up being like 60.00 for 2 people and most in my hood have more than 2 per household and dont get out to much because of that.

well what I meant was, not sure people have enough expendable money for things like that...last time I went it ended up being like 60.00 for 2 people and most in my hood have more than 2 per household and dont get out to much because of that.

Apparently you haven't been to "donerakis..." :)(It's not cheap and always packed)Pappas isn't cheap either... (same not cheap but packed)BTW HCC is expanding the church on Rustic and 75th is almost leveled. The are is "Starbucks Material though.

Edited by foxmulder

Oh I have been to Donarakis..twice..thought the first time was a fluke. I heard one of the best quotes ever from the mgr there....he asked what I thought about the place and told him my margarita tasted like it had no tequila in it. His response was ...oh everyone says that here, its cause we use smooth tequila and you dont taste it...pffff whatever. They get freeway traffic, so ya if easily accesable (sp?) I guess anything could work.

To expand the topic a little:

I've been out and about exceptionally late as of the past few weeks and I've noticed that the various food establishments across the city are absolutely PACKED all week long. I'm talking stuff along 290, 249, Katy, S.W and 45.

Driving home, I always see 888 and the variety of other places near gulfgate totally packed. While the demographics in that area maybe considered working class, but I think there is enough of a variety of people/incomes that it's possible to support a major chain theater, along with an Alamo for the adults.

Didn't know if anyone was privy to what, if anything, will be added to Gulfgate. There is still the huge empty land between 610 and Donaraki.

Also there appears to be some kind of construction action in the parking lot in front of the Marshalls.

Best Buy is under construction at Gulfgate behind HEB

To expand the topic a little:

I've been out and about exceptionally late as of the past few weeks and I've noticed that the various food establishments across the city are absolutely PACKED all week long. I'm talking stuff along 290, 249, Katy, S.W and 45.

Driving home, I always see 888 and the variety of other places near gulfgate totally packed. While the demographics in that area maybe considered working class, but I think there is enough of a variety of people/incomes that it's possible to support a major chain theater, along with an Alamo for the adults.

I'd definitely patronize an Alamo Drafthouse at Gulfgate! Right now we go to the Edwards in Greenway Plaza. It's easy to get to, but I dislike having to pay to park to go to the movies. It is a nice theater, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is a building that looks very similar to that at Spur 5 and IH45. Its off on the northbound feeder and has old glowing signs for exotic car makes like TVR and Lancia. They havent imported Lancia's to the US since the 70's and im not sure if their even around anymore.

I drove by there this weekend and the roof has caved in. If I remember right that was an MG Dealership originally and then a Checker Dealership.

Frizzell Pontiac GMC Renault was on the west side of Woodridge, off the corner with 610 was a gas station, Frizzell and then Globe.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

• 1 month later...