I had to mail a package UPS recently and found out that there's a UPS/copy center inside of all Office Depots, which is already at Gulfgate.

Yep, they all have them. We were once supposed to get "Fedex Drop boxes" but it never materialized. They are buidling a FEDEX Kinkos across from the OD on OST and Kirby.

Really? A BEST BUY!? That's awsome news. They maybe moving there sooner, cause they began moving dirt and have steaks in the ground.

Thanks, musicman.

I'm not doubting it (almeda is getting deserted)but i'll have to see it first. It's been rumored for years. A CVS/Walgreens would be nice in the area too. Nearest one is on griggs and 75. They're kinda runned down.

I'm not doubting it (almeda is getting deserted)but i'll have to see it first. It's been rumored for years. A CVS/Walgreens would be nice in the area too. Nearest one is on griggs and 75. They're kinda runned down.

i asked the manager there a few months ago and that's what he told me. sounded like it had already been in the work for quite a while.

What is runned down about the CVS and Walgreens? the CVS is relatively new as is the Walgreens. I can see if you were talking about the old Walgreens, but that's been gone for yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just driving around the Gulfgate addition which looked more substantial than just a Best Buy. I spoke with Wulfe & Co person handling it. She confirmed that Best Buy will be opening May 7th. I then inquired about the other retailers. She said that there will be more retail space but currently negotiations are in work with several.

Edited by musicman

OMG! Surf the web and there is no telling what kind of stuff you can find. I grew up in the Southeast side of Houston and can remember Gulfgate mall in its glory years. I can actually remember the "shopping center" before they enclosed it and it became one the first if not the first "malls" in the country. Someone asked about the Fed Mart that was across Woodridge from Gulfgate but how many of you remember the store Globe, which was there before Fed Mart? Also there was a Weingartens grocery as part of the mall at the corner of Woodridge and what is now the 610 feeder. As a kid I lived on Arnim which is one street past 610 off Woodridge. I remember when they opened the theatre at Gulgate because we were sitting at home watching it on TV and I remember being fasinated that what I was seeing on TV was going on like a block away from my house. My dentist was in the basement of the mall and the stairs were located on the wing that went towards the movie theatre, near the Newmans store. Newmans had a basement as well and thats where the toys were. Kids remember this sort of thing. There was also a great bakery/sandwich shop right next to the bank in the mall called Mize's. I actually drove through the tunnels under the mall when I took drivers ed in high school. Our instructor wanted to know what was there so he told me to drive down the ramp. There were three entrance/exits to the system. One was at the Joskee's/Dillards lower portion, one was along 610/Holmes Road across from the movie theatre, and one was next to Weingartens by the bank.

A good friend of mines brother actually crashed through the front window of Joskee's one time. We used to ride our bikes to the mall and get going real fast on the hill between where the bowling alley entrance was and the lower level of Joskees. when you got to the bottom you had to turn really fast to avoid the plate glass windows at Joskee's. Well he tried but was going to fast and crashed right through the window.

This will be a great location for a movie theater, not a 24, or 30 screens. I'm talking about maybe Alamo Drafthouse, a Movie Tavern, or Star Cinema Grill.

Demographics of the neighborhood wouldnt support such a venture....but it would be awesome to have something a little different in the hood.

Demographics of the neighborhood wouldnt support such a venture....but it would be awesome to have something a little different in the hood.

I actually would have to disagree. The restaurants in the area do well, esp if the food is good. The food would HAVE to be good for the venture to be a success.

well what I meant was, not sure people have enough expendable money for things like that...last time I went it ended up being like 60.00 for 2 people and most in my hood have more than 2 per household and dont get out to much because of that.

Apparently you haven't been to "donerakis..." :)(It's not cheap and always packed)Pappas isn't cheap either... (same not cheap but packed)BTW HCC is expanding the church on Rustic and 75th is almost leveled. The are is "Starbucks Material though.

Edited by foxmulder

Oh I have been to Donarakis..twice..thought the first time was a fluke. I heard one of the best quotes ever from the mgr there....he asked what I thought about the place and told him my margarita tasted like it had no tequila in it. His response was ...oh everyone says that here, its cause we use smooth tequila and you dont taste it...pffff whatever. They get freeway traffic, so ya if easily accesable (sp?) I guess anything could work.

To expand the topic a little:

I've been out and about exceptionally late as of the past few weeks and I've noticed that the various food establishments across the city are absolutely PACKED all week long. I'm talking stuff along 290, 249, Katy, S.W and 45.

Driving home, I always see 888 and the variety of other places near gulfgate totally packed. While the demographics in that area maybe considered working class, but I think there is enough of a variety of people/incomes that it's possible to support a major chain theater, along with an Alamo for the adults.

Didn't know if anyone was privy to what, if anything, will be added to Gulfgate. There is still the huge empty land between 610 and Donaraki.

Also there appears to be some kind of construction action in the parking lot in front of the Marshalls.

Best Buy is under construction at Gulfgate behind HEB

To expand the topic a little:

I've been out and about exceptionally late as of the past few weeks and I've noticed that the various food establishments across the city are absolutely PACKED all week long. I'm talking stuff along 290, 249, Katy, S.W and 45.

Driving home, I always see 888 and the variety of other places near gulfgate totally packed. While the demographics in that area maybe considered working class, but I think there is enough of a variety of people/incomes that it's possible to support a major chain theater, along with an Alamo for the adults.

I'd definitely patronize an Alamo Drafthouse at Gulfgate! Right now we go to the Edwards in Greenway Plaza. It's easy to get to, but I dislike having to pay to park to go to the movies. It is a nice theater, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is a building that looks very similar to that at Spur 5 and IH45. Its off on the northbound feeder and has old glowing signs for exotic car makes like TVR and Lancia. They havent imported Lancia's to the US since the 70's and im not sure if their even around anymore.

I drove by there this weekend and the roof has caved in. If I remember right that was an MG Dealership originally and then a Checker Dealership.

Frizzell Pontiac GMC Renault was on the west side of Woodridge, off the corner with 610 was a gas station, Frizzell and then Globe.

joe

Edited by texianjoe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I was at the Almeda Best Buy and overheard the manager mention that they will be open another year. Of course i asked what about after that? He replied that their new location will be at Gulfgate Mall. They will be open Oct 2007.

He said they are going where the pile of dirt stands now (behind HEB, Marshall's etc.)

I happened to pass by Gulfgate, and did take a look at the new Best Buy building - from what it looks like, it seems to be opening SOON as opposed to October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here noticed the service quality at our Lowes has gone downhill...not sure if its just me or not. In the past I was always greeted and at least 3 people would ask if they could help. Now you cant find any help, the store is dirty and its just a real negative experience. Yesterday I was in line with about 100$ of building supplies, there was a super long line, and 4 employees off to the side (on break?) just having a great time playing grab ass with each other. I was so pissed I just left my stuff and went home. There was a great manager there and not sure where he went....damn its 8 am and now I have to drive to Lowes on 610 just to buy a damn window. (I refuse to go to home depot...that place is horrible). I would love to pay a little more for a nicer store...any suggestions?

my move from the gulfgate area must have been pretty close to the managerial move -- i hadn't experienced the now-crappiness at gulfgate, and the meyerland location has always seemed to be decent

it's unfortunate for gulfgate, though, since the home depot is so bad

Edited by sevfiv

home depot has too many contractor types with inadequate ck out for those purchases...on thing they are trying is a traveling ck out that someone scans all your items then swipes a card to add your info. When you reach the cashier you just hand the card, swipe it and pay. Unfortunetly the guy using the ck out needed alot more training, and the ck out person took forever to double ck everything..ahhhh progress...

The former employees that get the boot from Home Depot/Gulfgate usually get a new job at this Lowe's, that explains the pathetic service.

I dashed in and out of there (Lowe's) the other day and it appeared like a ghost town. I seldom go as they are way over-priced.

I hate to even start talking about that specific Home Depot. I loathe it. I go all the way to Fairmont Parkway or Fuqua locations as they are more professional and dont treat you as trash. Musicman was right go online contact main offices and let it all out! Nothing will change if you dont voice your opinion.

Personally, I hate that Home Depot more than Lowes. Razzy award for poor service.

• 2 months later...

Someone posted about the italian deli in Almeda Mall, that was Samperi's and they had a brick arch facade. I loved the smell of that place! They were right in the middle of the commons where the Christmas train would be assembled each year and where recitals and events would be held. I worked at the JC Penney in Almeda mall back in the 80s before its decline, and grew up in the area, I loved that mall!

Gulfgate, wow, I remember that too. Not the details you folks recall, but I do remember Joske's and the diner in the Walgreens.

I also remember the diner and the aquariums in the Woolworth's at Almeda mall.

• 3 weeks later...
Someone posted about the italian deli in Almeda Mall, that was Samperi's and they had a brick arch facade. I loved the smell of that place! They were right in the middle of the commons where the Christmas train would be assembled each year and where recitals and events would be held. I worked at the JC Penney in Almeda mall back in the 80s before its decline, and grew up in the area, I loved that mall!

Gulfgate, wow, I remember that too. Not the details you folks recall, but I do remember Joske's and the diner in the Walgreens.

I also remember the diner and the aquariums in the Woolworth's at Almeda mall.

Yes, Parkdale Mall over here used to have a Walgreen's with a diner and a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Both are now gone. There's a Fuddrucker's hamburger restaurant in the parking lot.

In front of the Gulfgate HEB there's a pad site with some activity. After being out of town for a couple of weeks, I noticed a large temporary canopy had appeared and several pieces of equipment were under it, trying to move the wet gumbo dirt. Anyone know what's going on?

i noticed it a couple of weeks ago too. they must be serious to bring in a tent to keep the rain out so they can work. i was assuming it was a restaurant of some sorts.

M01A0098.jpg

In front of the Gulfgate HEB there's a pad site with some activity. After being out of town for a couple of weeks, I noticed a large temporary canopy had appeared and several pieces of equipment were under it, trying to move the wet gumbo dirt. Anyone know what's going on?

HEB Manager told me it was going to be another bank. More gridlock, gotta love it. :)

Guest danax
HEB Manager told me it was going to be another bank. More gridlock, gotta love it. :)

Or, it might relieve the current bank based traffic on Woodridge. More banks for the same amount of people.

The latest addition on the Woodridge side is The Children's Place. This definitely is only a meat and potatoes shopping center at this point.

The latest addition on the Woodridge side is The Children's Place. This definitely is only a meat and potatoes shopping center at this point.

i think the best buy was a step in the right direction, not so sure about another bank though. at least it is progress for gulfgate area.

i think the best buy was a step in the right direction, not so sure about another bank though. at least it is progress for gulfgate area.

Now if only they could start pushing some of that progress over on Lawndale/Dismuke/Wayside corridor.

There is plenty of empty space there just waiting for new development. I envision (or dream rather) of seeing numerous fast foods ala; Dairy Queen, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, Golden Corral, etc there. The area around the Post Office on Lawndale is perfect for all of these establishments.

I know back the Twilight Zone.

Guest danax
Now if only they could start pushing some of that progress over on Lawndale/Dismuke/Wayside corridor.

There is plenty of empty space there just waiting for new development. I envision (or dream rather) of seeing numerous fast foods ala; Dairy Queen, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, Golden Corral, etc there. The area around the Post Office on Lawndale is perfect for all of these establishments.

Vert, your "dream" sounds like a feeder road nightmare to me :mellow: . I know abandoned businesses, taco trucks, ice houses and quickee marts are less than thrilling, but let's hope for something better than a junk food paradise. But then again, with that school going in nearby you might be right. <_<

If only it could be a replacement for the tiny Bank of America on the loop 610 corner across from Gulfgate! They do huge business in that branch - just try to get in their parking lot on a Friday! Once inside, there's at least a 20-minute wait. There are some banking chores that can't be done online or at ATM's.

• The title was changed to Gulfgate Center Mall Developments