Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

Buried in a press release from Metro is the following line:

"Ed Wulfe of Wulfe & Co. to unveil upcoming redevelopment plans for Gulfgate area."

The date listed is tomorrow, the 5th of August, 2005.

Anyone know what's up?

Maybe we can find out what they are building right now in front of Marshall's. i still haven't seen a sign for what is going in. anyone know?

• 1 month later...

Topic consolidated into already existing topic.

They're getting closer to being finished so we should know something fairly soon. It looks like there will be bathrooms in the backs, hinting that.....it could be anything. A couple of locals I've spoken to are still hoping for a gym but it doesn't look like there any locker rooms.

Topic consolidated into already existing topic.

They're getting closer to being finished so we should know something fairly soon. It looks like there will be bathrooms in the backs, hinting that.....it could be anything. A couple of locals I've spoken to are still hoping for a gym but it doesn't look like there any locker rooms.

That area needs a bank. There are only four others within a block or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Its gonna be a Hooters. . .

I know you're just pulling our leg, 77017. I went by last weekend and the building is all glass panels with 2 doors on each side. Looks a little too corporate for a Hooters. Another bank possibly but so much glass? First thought would be a gym. Also, there is a newly-installed 4 cab taxi stand in front along Woodridge, which I would guess has little to do, location wise, with this new building.

• 2 weeks later...
Hell no. Too many fond memories of Almeda mall to want to see it go and maybe another instant neighborhood go up on that land. I was really bummed to see the old Almeda 9 East theater had been torn down and something was already going up.

Houston has so many malls that I wouldn't know which one to go to if I were to drive over there. But almost everyone I've talked to make it sound like the Galleria is the best one.

OK 2 doors per side, could this be a matress store like the one on West./Shep. The restroom area is really small, like it is intended for 2 or 3 employees. Many doors to get around the product, but no double doors for larger items. Product would have to large enough that there would not be theft out the side doors (like there is any theft on EastSide ha). I know it doesn`t make sense but I am going to guess a matress store

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone remember what the name of the church that was at Woodridge and Winkler Dr?

It was in the corner of the Gulfgate parking lot. It was a big brick building with a tall white steeple.

I lived in the apartments across the street from there (Gulfgate Village Apts) passed by it a million times, never went inside, I went to a Lutheran school five days a week and then to the 1st Baptist with my Grandma on Sundays. I never had time to go to any other church. I guess I did have my Saturdays open, I'm a slacker.

Does anyone remember what the name of the church that was at Woodridge and Winkler Dr?

It was in the corner of the Gulfgate parking lot. It was a big brick building with a tall white steeple.

I lived in the apartments across the street from there (Gulfgate Village Apts) passed by it a million times, never went inside, I went to a Lutheran school five days a week and then to the 1st Baptist with my Grandma on Sundays. I never had time to go to any other church. I guess I did have my Saturdays open, I'm a slacker.

My memory tells me Woodridge Baptist.

This site - www.woodridge.org - click "History" - indicates the congregation sold its property merged with a church in Kingwood that took the Woodridge name.

Although this article indicates it was sold to an African-American church I also have a hazy memory of it being the home for "Houston Church" - a ministry of evangelist Phil Arms. This may have even been at a time when Woodridge still owned the building - with Houston Church meeting in the large section and the remnant of Woodridge meeting in a smaller space on property.

I stand ready to be corrected! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
All I know is more retail space. But no clue who is leasing.

There is activity in a corner spot of the new retail building. But I didn't get close enough to see a sign of the new tenant.

There is a Panda Express going up across the street in the Lowes parking lot.

Guest danax
There is activity in a corner spot of the new retail building. But I didn't get close enough to see a sign of the new tenant.

I saw last night there's some generic window filler on one side but the For Lease sign is still there on that empty building. Panda Express will be a good addition.

Carrousel Motel

Carrousel.jpg

There is a building that looks very similar to that at Spur 5 and IH45. Its off on the northbound feeder and has old glowing signs for exotic car makes like TVR and Lancia. They havent imported Lancia's to the US since the 70's and im not sure if their even around anymore.

Say what you want about Gulfgate, but it has been a boon to the area. How much of an impact do you all think it will have longterm on the area's demographics? I could see a higher income demographic moving in over time (and this demographic need not be white, black or what have you but still of higher average income).

Then another question: why isn't there a similar development in an area like Riverside Terrace? Crime concerns? The income is certainly there.

Then another question: why isn't there a similar development in an area like Riverside Terrace? Crime concerns? The income is certainly there.

It could be because Gulfgate can easily serve Riverside Terrace. Gulfgate is about a 5 minute drive down OST from Riverside Terrace. The OST route is just as fast as taking the South Loop, but much more scenic (MacGregor Park, Brays Bayou, Gragg Park).

There's also no room for this kind of development near Riverside Terrace, other than on OST...but OST doesn't get the kind of traffic as the intersection of South Loop and the Gulf Freeway. The intersection of OST and Scott is undergoing a bit of a "boom" as it is, though. Our HEB is getting a gas station! There are also a number of new commercial strip centers along both Scott and OST.

It also looks to me like something's in the works on Scott Street down in South Union. All the old dilapidated strip centers are for sale right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more growth in that area soon...already a new apartment complex at Scott and Corder, and many new single family homes going up around the area.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

• 3 weeks later...
The space that has been leased in the new retail building at Gulfgate will be a Payless Shoes. Their paperwork is posted in the window. Ho-hum.

Uggh. Well no matter the price of gas, it is worth the trip to the DSW at Baybrook.

rps - I don't think Payless has Highlights anymore. They were to Klassy for Star Jones. :)

Living near the Gulfgate area for a number of years, I do remember the Walgreens, Joskes, the bowling alley underground and all the great stores around it.

I remember reading an article not too long ago on the development of Gulfgate, and how the area's buying power is a bit underestimated because of the preference to cash to credit.

Someone made a comment on how higher-income families will start to move in the area, which I believe is true. My family still lives in the East End, and that effect is starting to show in the neighborhoods. I call it the ripple effect - higher income families are starting to buy up the properties around the East End (starting closest to downtown) and will move their way outward. Gulfgate is a very good option as it's really close by. I just wish there would be some kind of major redevelopment project around Harrisburg and Wayside - that area needs a much needed facelift.

• 5 months later...

I was at the Almeda Best Buy and overheard the manager mention that they will be open another year. Of course i asked what about after that? He replied that their new location will be at Gulfgate Mall. They will be open Oct 2007.

He said they are going where the pile of dirt stands now (behind HEB, Marshall's etc.)

I was at the Almeda Best Buy and overheard the manager mention that they will be open another year. Of course i asked what about after that? He replied that their new location will be at Gulfgate Mall. They will be open Oct 2007.

He said they are going where the pile of dirt stands now (behind HEB, Marshall's etc.)

That has been remoured for years! I heard it when i worked at Office Depot in 2002! The office depot on edgebrook won't be there much longer.