Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

Speaking of a loooooong time ago, at some point my mom worked at Gulfgate Mall, and always told me about a tunnel system under the mall. It was designed so that trucks could pull in underground and unload into the stores `basements`. It was also a designated bomb/fallout shelter. Does anyone know if these tunnels are still there? During the construction I never saw excavation down very far.

It's hard to believe Almeda Mall is going the way of Gulgate Mall. It used to be a nice mall but perhaps it has seen its time. You can always tell the near demise of a mall in direct proportion to the number of shoe stores it has. My family use to frequent both Gulfgate and Almeda Malls; consequently, I have many memories of both but I'm afraid that pretty soon that may be all that's left. Anyway, there is Gulfgate Center which sits atop what used to be Gulfgate Mall so that somewhat cushions the sadness of it all. Anyone remember the Weingartens (grocery store) that used to be located adjacent to Gulfgate?

As for the earlier post, I do remember the carousel. Watched all the classics in that cinema: Jaws, Star Wars, Superman. Then crossed the bridge over 610 for lunch and Picadillies (I think that's the correct spelling) Cafeteria. They used to have an underground bowling alley too.

I also thought about what might fit into the vacant lot which is the subject of this post. They could turn it into a park area with a pavillion where outdoor performances are staged. Then maybe not, no one in their right minds from Houston would spend more than five minutes outdoors in the weather we have there.

LOL! Where is the carousel? I think they finally tore that place down about 10 years ago.

Anyway, we used to ride our bikes to the mall on Sundays. Sakowitz had guard dogs running the floor that you could see through the doors.

I think Picadilly's was the last place standing.

Gulfgate and Almeda Mall were the most memorable during Christmas time but that's probably the case with most malls. It's kind of scary but I still have dreams about the Joskes Department Store with those pickle green tiles and it's three floor levels. Does anyone remember the Walgreens with the cafeteria inside. Now this is really going back, but does anyone remeber the Fed Mart across from Gulfgate Mall. Presently the Lowes Home Improvement Store is there.

Anyone have any other pics? I'm waxing nostalgic.

Things I remember in or near Gulfgate circa 70s - early 90s:

Roy Rogers Restaurant

Frizell Pontiac GMC

Service Merchandise

Santa's Train

Leopold Price & Rolly

Joskes was always hot.

Spanky's

Brisquit House

Dillards' basement

Craig's

Walgreen's

Music Store? (same one was in Almeda)

Picadilly

Air Force Recruiting

Russell Stovers

Almeda:

Italian deli - like a Spec's - even sold pizza crust you could cook

The fountain in the middle

Baskin Robbins

The old Jewish lady in Foley's watches.

Cool Christmas selection at Foleys'

Gulfgate and Almeda Mall were the most memorable during Christmas time but that's probably the case with most malls.  It's kind of scary but I still have dreams about the Joskes Department Store with those pickle green tiles and it's three floor levels.  Does anyone remember the Walgreens with the cafeteria inside.  Now this is really going back, but does anyone remeber the Fed Mart across from Gulfgate Mall.  Presently the Lowes Home Improvement Store is there. 

Anyone have any other pics?  I'm waxing nostalgic.

Awesome pictures. I remember passing the Carrousel many times as a kid in the back of my parents car getting on and off of 45 from Reveille. Is it me or did the Carrousel building stand longer than the motel. I seem to remember it being there alone and in use for a short period. Then one day it was gone.

I remember Fed Mart. I was there one afternoon after school shopping with my mom and a really bad storm came through while we were there. We were at the checkout lanes then suddenly the lights went out, I heard people scream and the sliding doors flew open. I remember as I looked toward the doors there was a guy walking out and seeing him as if he were trying to keep his balance and hold on to his bags. You could see the trees across the parking lot just swaying like crazy and the rain blowing every which way. He runs back in and yells "Its a tornado!". Everyone around hits the floor. Very scary. I must have been about 9 or 10 when that happened.

Speaking of a loooooong time ago, at some point my mom worked at Gulfgate Mall, and always told me about a tunnel system under the mall. It was designed so that trucks could pull in underground and unload into the stores `basements`. It was also a designated bomb/fallout shelter. Does anyone know if these tunnels are still there? During the construction I never saw excavation down very far.

I remember there being a driveway coming out from underneath the mall that curved out onto the 610 frontage road before Woodridge. It sat just under the elevated walkway.

After the mall was demolished if you looked over from 45 you could see that there was something down there. I could make out what looked like a wall that had not yet been knocked down. I wished that I could have got close enough to see what it actually was.

(Update)

I passed by there the other day. the concrete right side wall from the exit of the underground garage was still there to the left of the walkway over 610. You can see it coming up from the ground. They just added a ramp to the walkway on the Gulfgate side. I guess its going to be used for the Transit Center

Guest danax

Frizell Pontiac GMC

Was that by chance over by where the Transit Center is going up, by the 610/45 western interchange? The reason I ask is I was walking over there while waiting for my car to be fixed, while they were starting on the transit center, as there were remnants of, after some pondering, what appeared to be an old car dealership. There was a circular concrete platform that had some scraps of old, multi-colored 40s-50s tile work, which I imagined to be the showroom floor.

I do remember the diner/soda shop inside the Walgreens. I also remember the Ferrell's Ice Cream parlor in Almeda.

I'm really enjoying the all the pictures and the store listings. I live in the area now, but grew up in Pasadena before there was a mall there. So we shopped at Gulfgate & Almeda.

I really hope something positive happens in Almeda. My Civic Club president said she heard that Ed Wulfe was looking at it for a renovation similar to Meyerland/Gulfgate. I pray it's true. But I don't know where she got this information or if it's just hopeful thoughts on her part.

Was that by chance over by where the Transit Center is going up, by the 610/45 western interchange? The reason I ask is I was walking over there while waiting for my car to be fixed, while they were starting on the transit center, as there were remnants of, after some pondering, what appeared to be an old car dealership. There was a circular concrete platform that had some scraps of old, multi-colored 40s-50s tile work, which I imagined to be the showroom floor.

Where is that located? A couple of years ago all that remained of the Carrousel Motel on Reveille was the concrete flooring, including the circular building.

They're not there anymore. I used to work at the Kenny Shoes there when I was in high school. When I wasnt looking up customer's skirts, I did venture down into the basement once or twice. It looked like a huge parking garage. And yes, it was a loading dock for the stores in the mall. :)

Gulfgate and Almeda Mall were the most memorable during Christmas time but that's probably the case with most malls.  It's kind of scary but I still have dreams about the Joskes Department Store with those pickle green tiles and it's three floor levels.  Does anyone remember the Walgreens with the cafeteria inside.  Now this is really going back, but does anyone remeber the Fed Mart across from Gulfgate Mall.  Presently the Lowes Home Improvement Store is there. 

Anyone have any other pics?  I'm waxing nostalgic.

I do remember the walgreens with the gill inside and the Federated across the way. Man I was must have been 5 years old... ugh/

Roy Rogers Restaurant

Frizell Pontiac GMC

Service Merchandise

Santa's Train

Leopold Price & Rolly

Joskes was always hot.

Spanky's

Brisquit House

Dillards' basement

Craig's

Walgreen's

Music Store? (same one was in Almeda)

Picadilly

Air Force Recruiting

Russell Stovers

Almeda:

Italian deli - like a Spec's - even sold pizza crust you could cook

The fountain in the middle

Baskin Robbins

The old Jewish lady in Foley's watches.

Cool Christmas selection at Foleys'

Only Spanky's remains. In fact we had pizza there not too long ago. It's a happening place. :)

The circular platform was from the old Carrousel Motel.

I believe Frizell was over off of 45 before Woodridge. Where the Home Depot is now.

Anybody remember Joe Conti Chevrolet? Wher was that? I vaguely remember a commercial for that dealer... it had a very poorly animated indian beating a drum at the end singing "Joe Conti Chevrolet, Joe Conti Chevrolet..."

It's hard to believe Almeda Mall is going the way of Gulgate Mall.  It used to be a nice mall but perhaps it has seen its time.  You can always tell the near demise of a mall in direct proportion to the number of shoe stores it has.  My family use to frequent both Gulfgate and Almeda Malls; consequently, I have many memories of both but I'm afraid that pretty soon that may be all that's left.  Anyway, there is Gulfgate Center which sits atop what used to be Gulfgate Mall so that somewhat cushions the sadness of it all.  Anyone remember the Weingartens (grocery store) that used to be located adjacent to Gulfgate?

As for the earlier post, I do remember the carousel.  Watched all the classics in that cinema: Jaws, Star Wars, Superman.  Then crossed the bridge over 610 for lunch and Picadillies (I think that's the correct spelling) Cafeteria.  They used to have an underground bowling alley too.

I also thought about what might fit into the vacant lot which is the subject of this post.  They could turn it into a park area with a pavillion where outdoor performances are staged.  Then maybe not, no one in their right minds from Houston would spend more than five minutes outdoors in the weather we have there.

I remember going bowling there with family there as a kid.

I wondered about the bowling alley around the time before they demolished the mall. Wishing there was someway I could go in there. I wondered what was down there and what it looked like now, was it still in use for something (storage maybe) and if the alley was still intact down there.

Anyone know when they finally closed it. I want to say the late 80s. I remember going to Gulfgate one night (sometime in 1985) and seeing people going in and out of there.

Almeda should just be torn down and have the land sold off unless it can be turned into a Meyerland or Gulfgate.

It may be too close to Gulfgate to be renovated.

Hell no. Too many fond memories of Almeda mall to want to see it go and maybe another instant neighborhood go up on that land. I was really bummed to see the old Almeda 9 East theater had been torn down and something was already going up.

Guest danax
Where is that located?  A couple of years ago all that remained of the Carrousel Motel on Reveille was the concrete flooring, including the circular building.

Sorry, Subdude. I was going to respond a couple of days ago but forgot until djrage just reminded me. The Carrousel Motel picture did look like the rounded concrete slab that I saw, but Reveille threw me off. Then I checked and Reveille does end right there at the S. Loop so yes, it certainly was the old motel lobby.

Then I checked and Reveille does end right there at the S. Loop so yes, it certainly was the old motel lobby.

definitely the old carousel motel. that was really the place to be back in its day. lots of wedding receptions etc. not sure when it was built but definitely before 1963 according to my mom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buried in a press release from Metro is the following line:

"Ed Wulfe of Wulfe & Co. to unveil upcoming redevelopment plans for Gulfgate area."

The date listed is tomorrow, the 5th of August, 2005.

Anyone know what's up?