KP Plaza: Mixed-Use Development At Beltway 8 & Beechnut St.

Urbannizer

I thought this was the Park8 site, but it looks like this project is a little further south? *edit* It will be on the SE corner of the Belt and Beechnut.

Residential Tower: 20-floors

Hotel: 15-floors

http://www.credgroup.com/images/New%20KP/Master.jpg

http://www.credgroup.com/projects_us.html

The site for the proposed Chinatown hotel is located within a 15-acre mixed-used KP Plaza development at the southeast quadrant of Beechnut Street and Beltway 8. Other probable uses within the development include restaurants, retail and residential. The hotel is located one exit from the heart of the Chinatown District and is also near the Westchase District, and international District. The picture below shows the current rendering of the development.

The project includes an upscale hotel about 250 rooms, and 120 high-rise residential units, and 35,000 square feet of retail space with a pad site for a premier restaurant.  CRED group acquired the land since early 21st century, and the land, which is made up by two parcels, has a total aggregated size of 13.8 acres. A detention pond serves the site has been built and licensed by City of Houston.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh! That's not mixed-use -.- Developer has no idea what mixed use really is. Not to mention I already don't care about this because each building is literally surrounded by parking. What a disappointment :/

Surrounded by parking?  Really?

While it does have parking around it, I wouldn't say quite as dramatically as you.  Perhaps a better critique would be "this is in a bad location."  I do agree that the retail component is a bit of a stretch, but at least this developer is trying something a little different.

I like the towers - fairly bold design for such a suburban area, particularly for this city.

Surrounded by parking?  Really?

While it does have parking around it, I wouldn't say quite as dramatically as you.  Perhaps a better critique would be "this is in a bad location."  I do agree that the retail component is a bit of a stretch, but at least this developer is trying something a little different.

I like the towers - fairly bold design for such a suburban area, particularly for this city.

While it isn't a walmart, home depot or target sea of parking lots it still follows the typical suburban parking model. I will say that this is a very odd location for this and while I want suburbs to start create small midrise cores to help create their own centers for their communities, I think that this is a bit overboard. I know we don't have zoning but this is just odd with those towers. I do like the look of them both though. I....I'm just not feeling this one. I think it's a wasted opportunity to do something unique. I guess it's better than more strip malls, but it looks like we will be in this awkward stage of "how do you really create a pedestrian first suburban (or urban) environment" instead of a car centric one. Car's will always be important in this city and development will of course reflect that, but their should be a balanced relationship between pedestrian space and car dominant space.

.....also known as 2000 to 2014.........?

yeah....that statement made me seem really old......and I'm only 24 xD

I agree that this project could have done more, however we don't know if this is a phased project and the intent is to eventually upgrade by expanding outward and then replacing the low-rise structures with bigger buildings at some point.  It seems this company wants to create a "district" all of its own with an Asian centric demographic at its core.  Could work and it could eventually be a fairly interesting - though entirely modern area.  Or, it could be a failure?  CRED is a Chinese company right?

*Entirely moden "China Town" or whatever you want to call this part of Houston?  Since many cities have "China Towns" but they are usually an older area with buildings from the early wave of settlement from Asia.

While it isn't a walmart, home depot or target sea of parking lots it still follows the typical suburban parking model. I will say that this is a very odd location for this and while I want suburbs to start create small midrise cores to help create their own centers for their communities, I think that this is a bit overboard. I know we don't have zoning but this is just odd with those towers. I do like the look of them both though. I....I'm just not feeling this one. I think it's a wasted opportunity to do something unique. I guess it's better than more strip malls, but it looks like we will be in this awkward stage of "how do you really create a pedestrian first suburban (or urban) environment" instead of a car centric one. Car's will always be important in this city and development will of course reflect that, but their should be a balanced relationship between pedestrian space and car dominant space.

yeah....that statement made me seem really old......and I'm only 24 xD

Why does this matter? It's in Westchase. If they wanted to build denser and more of a walkable model for mixed use it would be inside the loop. Where it's much more accepted to build that way.

Seriously, the expectations some of you have for even our most generic all-big box districts like Westchase or Energy Corridor is cut throat. I'm not looking for design or urbanity in these places, just looking for some filling in done vertically.

Yawn. Hate to see good looking building plopped so far out of town. I guess now I can see why so many of you get bent out of shape when developers plant highrises in The Woodlands (even though I love it #hometown).

Seriously, the expectations some of you have for even our most generic all-big box districts like Westchase or Energy Corridor is cut throat. I'm not looking for design or urbanity in these places, just looking for some filling in done vertically.

Personally I like the towers and would take those... anywhere in town.  They're not avant garde, but they are sleek and nice looking.  The retail lowrise(stripcenter) could be something greater, but its a start.  I still think this project is a multi-phased and the developer will expand - like what happened at City Center up the road.  The stripcenter retail/commerical will eventually be replaced.  At least this is my opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Translated. I think they plan to build one high-rise, the hotel and retail buildings first.

http://www.credusa.com/htdocs/pages.asp?id=24

KP project planning a total development area of ​​about 1, 386,670-square-foot (salable area of ​​about 1,000,000 square feet). Where the hotel is approximately 252,000 square feet (60,000 sq. Ft. Including where the underlying retail), and two high-rise apartments are the 225,000-square-foot office building is about 200,000 square feet, about 65,420 square street shops foot, two public parking garage is about 419,250 square feet. KP project will be developed in two phases. A project including hotels, a high-rise apartments, a parking garage and two street shops. Two projects including office buildings, apartments, parking garage and a separate dining room.

KP major property development projects for high-star brand hotel, according to hotel industry authoritative market assessment consultancy firm PKF made "KP hotel project feasibility report," KP project area, the market needs new high-star hotel, KP project land position in line with the construction of high-star hotel in the desired location, traffic and environmental and other basic conditions, PKF and recommended size of the hotel rooms in 250 and the corresponding ancillary area. In the report recommended five hotel brands, Sheraton Hotel and the Hilton company's Embassy Suite Hotel have confirmed the feasibility of the project. High-rise apartment project to undertake a natural extension of the hotel features, it can provide economical option for monthly sex tenants can also provide more room for profit for the hotel's ancillary facilities. Apartment 1 and Apartment -2 overall construction area of ​​about 450,000 square feet. Garage over portions of the approximately 150 fine decoration unit, unit average area of ​​about 1,500 square feet.

Archived