Who removes tree branches resting on utility cables in easement?

The easement at my back property line has poles with electric and utility lines. A tree in my back yard has two large branches resting on the phone/TV cables. Electric lines that are located some distance above the utility cables were cleared a couple of years ago by the power company's tree trimming crew. However, they didn't prune anything near the cable.

The reputable tree company I use refused to remove the branches from the cable due to possible damage, liability, etc.

AT&T is my landline and internet provider (I don't have cable TV). The only information their non-local call center person could tell me was that AT&T doesn't prune trees, but they would be happy to give me a great deal on U-Verse.

It looks like the family living directly behind me has cable service. However, they have refused to speak to me in either Spanish or English in the 8 years I've lived here in the Broadmoor section of Eastwood.

Any information on who to call about removing the tree branches will be appreciated.

The easement at my back property line has poles with electric and utility lines. A tree in my back yard has two large branches resting on the phone/TV cables. Electric lines that are located some distance above the utility cables were cleared a couple of years ago by the power company's tree trimming crew. However, they didn't prune anything near the cable.

The reputable tree company I use refused to remove the branches from the cable due to possible damage, liability, etc.

AT&T is my landline and internet provider (I don't have cable TV). The only information their non-local call center person could tell me was that AT&T doesn't prune trees, but they would be happy to give me a great deal on U-Verse.

It looks like the family living directly behind me has cable service. However, they have refused to speak to me in either Spanish or English in the 8 years I've lived here in the Broadmoor section of Eastwood.

Any information on who to call about removing the tree branches will be appreciated.

Don't know the answer however if you are in COH call 311. The city is not responsible but they will know who is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I also have the same problem before. The tree obstructed our powerline and i was afraid that it would cause an accident. I called the city engineers department and have them inspect the problem. A week later they cut the tree. Here's the picture before.

wrong-tree-planted-under-powerlines.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently called the City with the same concern. My neighbor had let several trees grow into the power lines, so I called 3-1-1. 2 days later, a city rep came to my home, investigated, and told me that if they found other trees along the easement touching the power lines, they would perform the work. They wouldn't cut back just the two trees directly behind my neighbor's home. They must have found others, as the next Tuesday there was a hanger on my front door saying they'd be in the area to trim trees and to kindly keep the dogs inside. This last Saturday, the crew came out and cut them off the lines. The company's name was Trees, Inc. if that's helpful. They were most certainly contracted by the COH, as it was stated as such on the door hanger.

Update to my original post: I called AT&T and, after 15 minutes on hold, reached a call center rep with an unidentifiable foreign accent. She had absolutely no idea why a customer would consider tree limbs resting on a cable a problem, but agreed to set up an appointment with a service tech from the Houston office. He came out, assessed the situation, and set up an appointment with the AT&T tree-trimming contractor. The contractor came out and did a real hack job on my tree, but at least the cables are now in the clear.

@Purpledevil: Thanks for your report on calling 311 about getting trees trimmed in the easement. I'll get to work on solving that problem next.

Archived