Palm Center Shopping Center On Griggs Rd. At MLK Blvd.

musicman

Palm Center is alive because most of the tenants are government entities. Harris County Annex, City of Houston, HCC, etc. I believe there is a small cafe that you can see from Griggs. But that's about it. No stores.

I remember Palm Center - Walter Pye's also carried clothes for women and children. Between Walter Pye's and Leder's Tot and Teen (and Sakowitz in Gulfgate) I had clothes! There was also a Playhouse Toys in there - the only big toy store in this area at the time - and a man with a Popcorn Cart outside. If I was good, I got popcorn! I imagine I spent the majority of my Saturdays shopping with my Mom at Glove, Sage, Palm Center or Gulfgate. There was also the trip to Weingarten's for groceries (ours was on Park Place Blvd. Wow. I need to go rest now. I am an old woman!!!!!

I remember Palm Center - Walter Pye's also carried clothes for women and children. Between Walter Pye's and Leder's Tot and Teen (and Sakowitz in Gulfgate) I had clothes! There was also a Playhouse Toys in there - the only big toy store in this area at the time - and a man with a Popcorn Cart outside. If I was good, I got popcorn! I imagine I spent the majority of my Saturdays shopping with my Mom at Glove, Sage, Palm Center or Gulfgate. There was also the trip to Weingarten's for groceries (ours was on Park Place Blvd. Wow. I need to go rest now. I am an old woman!!!!!

where was the weingarten's on park place?

I never saw the original Palm Center (at least that I was old enough to remember :P ) but I have been intrigued by the pic in the 1972 architecture guide. Two story open air retail. looks similar to a 50's-60's motel - sort of.

Can anyone describe this part of Palm Center and what stores were in there?

Walter Pye's also was in Palm Center. Loved shopping there.

• 3 months later...
I think when they refer to malls as in Gulfgate being the first, they mean the first enclosed mall. As a kid I remember Gulfgate being open air until the early sixties when they enclosed it. At that point it became the first enclosed and air conditioned mall.

i think Sharpstown actually beat Gulfgate a/c wise. Then Gulfgate decided to go enclosed.

• 3 months later...

I lived about 2 blocks from Palm Center, and was probably in 1st grade when it opened to great excitement. I remember those big lights they used to showcase an event, as well as the fact they were holding a drawing for a free car. I still dream about Palm Center, as I really spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours there. The Alice McKean Young branch library opened soon after Palm Center, so my girlfriends and I would walk home from Hartsfield and head for the library. THEN, the fun part: we would always walk back through Palm Center and most usually stop for a cherry coke and fries at Walgreens.

I describe Palm Center as being the PERFECT shopping center. It had so many wonderful kinds of stores and shops that I can't think of anything comparable today. There was Lewis and Coker (remember that it had a soda fountain in it when it first opened?), Walgreen's, (as well as a Woolworth's), Oshman's, a gift shop called "House Beautiful", the NW Gas office, a hardware/paint store, the candy store on the corner across from where the record store(the kind you could go into those little booths and listen to the latest 45s)was - I remember kissing the giant cut-out they had of Elvis! And of course there was Golden Needle, a Merle Norman Cosmetics, Thornhill's Cafeteria, Walter Pye's, Schep's, Vogue Shoes (among other shoe stores), the toy store at the end closest to Penney's, Leder's Tots to Teens, several jewelry stores, and my personal favorite: Ruth Crow Salon of Beauty, which was in the center part where there was an upstairs.And there was that shop for men called Mr. (Something). And that coffee shop on the northwest end, close to Oshman's. Oh, and there was that high-end (for Palm Center!) women's clothing store close to Vogue but its name is gone from my diminishing memory bank.

All I know is that Palm Center was as much a part of my childhood as any single other place. So was the U'Totem there on the corner of Brownwood and South Park, and run by this little guy who probably imbibed on the job named "Shorty".My daddy worked at Wards from its opening in 1961 or so, until his retirment, which meant we had additional shelves and racks to gaze through. Remember how Wards would hold an annual contest where they put a diamond in an ice cube and the lucky finder got to keep it? And how they had a department for your animals, like horse saddles? Life was simple. We were lucky to grow up in a time when children were safe, and all we had to do was to worry about rush hour traffic on South Park so we could make it across those streets without danger. We didn't start locking the doors to our house, including when we would be gone for a week, until sometime in 1966. I remember it all so fondly.

wow - thanks for the description...sure paints a vivid picture

i am going to try and repost the 1955 directory listing at a better resolution - the one a few posts back isn't very readable

I lived about 2 blocks from Palm Center, and was probably in 1st grade when it opened to great excitement. I remember those big lights they used to showcase an event, as well as the fact they were holding a drawing for a free car. I still dream about Palm Center, as I really spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours there. The Alice McKean Young branch library opened soon after Palm Center, so my girlfriends and I would walk home from Hartsfield and head for the library. THEN, the fun part: we would always walk back through Palm Center and most usually stop for a cherry coke and fries at Walgreens.

I describe Palm Center as being the PERFECT shopping center. It had so many wonderful kinds of stores and shops that I can't think of anything comparable today. There was Lewis and Coker (remember that it had a soda fountain in it when it first opened?), Walgreen's, (as well as a Woolworth's), Oshman's, a gift shop called "House Beautiful", the NW Gas office, a hardware/paint store, the candy store on the corner across from where the record store(the kind you could go into those little booths and listen to the latest 45s)was - I remember kissing the giant cut-out they had of Elvis! And of course there was Golden Needle, a Merle Norman Cosmetics, Thornhill's Cafeteria, Walter Pye's, Schep's, Vogue Shoes (among other shoe stores), the toy store at the end closest to Penney's, Leder's Tots to Teens, several jewelry stores, and my personal favorite: Ruth Crow Salon of Beauty, which was in the center part where there was an upstairs.And there was that shop for men called Mr. (Something). And that coffee shop on the northwest end, close to Oshman's. Oh, and there was that high-end (for Palm Center!) women's clothing store close to Vogue but its name is gone from my diminishing memory bank.

All I know is that Palm Center was as much a part of my childhood as any single other place. So was the U'Totem there on the corner of Brownwood and South Park, and run by this little guy who probably imbibed on the job named "Shorty".My daddy worked at Wards from its opening in 1961 or so, until his retirment, which meant we had additional shelves and racks to gaze through. Remember how Wards would hold an annual contest where they put a diamond in an ice cube and the lucky finder got to keep it? And how they had a department for your animals, like horse saddles? Life was simple. We were lucky to grow up in a time when children were safe, and all we had to do was to worry about rush hour traffic on South Park so we could make it across those streets without danger. We didn't start locking the doors to our house, including when we would be gone for a week, until sometime in 1966. I remember it all so fondly.

Edited by sevfiv

We used to shop there too up until the very end at least at Montgomery Wards across the street. I always remember the Big Boy's restaraunt across from Ward's. He was always grinning as you drove by. The whole area went into a downward spiral and by the 80's it hit rock bottom. Too much competition and loss of revenue must have been the culprit. Big Boy had been turned into a dark, dark nightclub.

We used to shop there too up until the very end at least at Montgomery Wards across the street. I always remember the Big Boy's restaraunt across from Ward's. He was always grinning as you drove by. The whole area went into a downward spiral and by the 80's it hit rock bottom. Too much competition and loss of revenue must have been the culprit. Big Boy had been turned into a dark, dark nightclub.

I used to go to that Kips Big Boy back in the 70's and also to the Shakeys Pizza place right down from it after friday night football games. Big pitchers of beer and Seals and Croft singing Humming Bird on the juke box. Ahhh take me back.

why did the area change and residents move further south towards hobby? With that location I couldn't see how an area can change so fast....problem is...the people kept moving and every neighboorhood towards the beltway along telephone, bellfort, mlk, etc. looks the same now because residents aren't stable..

My parents experienced it when they moved to the subdivision I was raised in during the 70s...the older residents moved out and as blacks moved in which led to the emergence of the Highway 6 portion of Missouri City and Sugar Land.

why the flight? Can it be explained? Blacks at that time were mostly in 3rd ward by TSU and had Dowling Street as their main artery...what event triggered white flight across 610 further south when they had a stronghold in the area?

whites had palm center, then the intersection off MLK near Jutland (I think, the lot is abandoned now) and then they moved south near Sterling and had the area on telephone and bellfort....the yum yum pit is gone, the baskin robbins is gone, etc.

Now, it's Pearland, Clear Lake, League City....etc.

Looks like white flight destroys more areas than anything

whites had palm center, then the intersection off MLK near Jutland (I think, the lot is abandoned now) and then they moved south near Sterling and had the area on telephone and bellfort....the yum yum pit is gone, the baskin robbins is gone, etc.

i had not heard yum yum pit in years! don't forget dairy maid either. i drove by a few days ago and it is still open!! as for baskins, mr bogue, was a big employer at my high school and his daughter is a great friend of mine still.

from the 55 maps (labelled "Palms Center"):

palmscenterth002.jpg

Ruth Crow Salon of Beauty

Schep's Apparel Shop

F.W. Woolworth Co.

United Gas Corp. - Office & Display

Franklin's Dress Shop

Nathan's Men's & Women's Apparel

Poll Parrot Shoes

G.R. Kinney Co., Tex. Inc.

Vogue Shoes

Three Sisters Dress Shop

Leder's Tots-n-Teen Shop

Krute's Stores - Toys - Gifts

Mode O'Day

J.C. Penney Co., Inc.

Goodyear Store

Hargrove Fixit Shop

Palms Glidden Paint Center

palmscenterth001.jpg

The Chef Sandwich Shop

Oshmans Sporting Goods

Walgreen, Inc. Drugs

Store Shop

European Import Co., Liquors

Athas Flowers

Darling-Richard & Co. - (?) Supplies

Lewis & Coker Supermarket

Palms Coiffeur-Beauty Shop

Palms Center Barber Shop

Golden Needle Fabric Shop

Kings Candies

Home Beautiful

Guardian Financial Corp.

Frank's Mens Shop

Foley's Appliance Store

Napko Paint Co.

Wagner Hardware Co., Inc. Store No. 2

Texas Carpet Co., Store No. 3

Laufmans Jewelry

Texas State Optical

Thornhill's Cafeteria

Houston Shoe Hospital & Washateria

Thom McAnn Shoes

Walter Pye's of Hollywood

Edited by sevfiv

also, there were "general notes" about the center, from the plans:

palmscenterth004.jpg

Fireproof construction (except building K) - built 1955, concrete frame, floors and roof. (?) to 10" tile, tile, (?) and stone faced, hollow brick and concrete curtain walls. Partly over (?) metal sash and glass, 6" and (?) tile and hollow brick division walls, 4" tile, metal lath and plaster and frame partitions.

Building "E": steel frame, concrete floor, mineral composition roof on metal deck and joists, suspended ceiling, tile, brick faced apron walls 1' to 2' with metal sash and glass above. Brick piers, 6" tile division wall, metal lath and plaster partitions.

Watchman, no clock, automatic sprinklers as shown, city water.

Parking capacity 2,100 cars entire area.

palmscenterth003.jpg

Building (?): fire proof construction (except buildings "F' and "G"): concrete frame, floors and roof, 6" to (?), tile brick and stone faced, hollow brick, and concrete curtain walls, partly over 60% metal sash and glass, 6" to (?) fill and hollow brick division walls. (?) tile, metal lath and plaster and frame partitions.

Building "F": partly steel frame, north and west walls partly brick veneered and glass, east wall asbestos clad, south wall brick veneered, brick division walls as shown.

Building "G": steel frame, concrete floor, mineral composition roof on metal deck and joists, suspended ceilings. (?) tile, brick faced curtain walls, and apron walls 2' with metal sash and glass above, brick piers, 6" tile division walls, metal lath and plaster partitions.

Watchman, no clock, automatic sprinklers as shown, parking capacity 2,100 cars entire area.

Edited by sevfiv

i had not heard yum yum pit in years! don't forget dairy maid either. i drove by a few days ago and it is still open!! as for baskins, mr bogue, was a big employer at my high school and his daughter is a great friend of mine still.

Some of you might, might, might remember the DRIVE-IN movie at the end by 610. Was called The King Center Drive-In.

I mentioned in another topic. We saw Blacula there! Had to be around 1972-73 becasue he was like a Shaft dracula dude but was like real hip but bit people. Had platform shoes and a cape. We were one of the very few families that didnt look like everyone else. Not gonna say because everyone will get upset like on that goofy "racism" thread. Hope you all understand. Want to keep peace in the family. In any case it was torn down and is now a Burger King, rats!

Watchman, no clock, automatic sprinklers as shown, city water.

I wonder why "no clock" is specified. Is it somehow related to the watchman or sprinklers - or do they mean a large, publicly visible clock?

No clock. No fountain. No merry-go-round. ;)

I wonder why "no clock" is specified. Is it somehow related to the watchman or sprinklers - or do they mean a large, publicly visible clock?

No clock. No fountain. No merry-go-round. ;)

heh - i had wondered the same thing

the clock usually measures how long checkpoints have been monitored (right?), but why would they put this on the building notes (which are about the building materials) - especially if there was "no clock" at all

I grew up in the 70's directly across the street from Palm Center. We lived for a few years in a trailer park...right next to the Midas. I remember going over to the Penny's and buying clothes with my mom out of the SESAME STREET section. There was also a big Montgomery Wards about a block north of Palm Center. I think it's a flea market now. But that Ward's sold the best Mego Superhero figures in town. I found CONAN there...and yyou couldnt find CONAN anywhere.

I remember a car dealership being across the street from Palm Center...with this cool lighted sign with palm trees on it. There was also a Big Boy's restaurant on the opposite corner from the Montgomery Wards.

That area was really nice during the mid-70's. I have wonderful memories of it...I drove over there 6 months ago...about 2 months before I moved out of Houston...man, its all ghettoed out now.

jr

• 2 months later...

Friends:

I happened upon this forum quite by accident. When I have some down time, I do random searches for information regarding my grandmother's demise. She was shot to death in the parking lot of Palm Center, right outside the Lewis & Coker grocery store on September 6, 1973 around 4:00 in the afternoon; she drove a gold Buick Electra with a white vinyl roof. Although it was likely a paid killing, I always seek out anyone who may have witnessed the event or who may have lived in the area around that time. Two other sources have told me the individuals who did the actual shooting were hanging around the shopping center for weeks before, as if looking for their target. Descriptions were hazy but it was more than HPD ever uncovered.

Not trying to be a buzzkill - just looking for information or recollections, which now are likely lost to time and dust.

I am glad I found this great forum...great reading and very educational. The obvious intelligence of the posters here is refreshing, compared to most I've visited. It makes me homesick for Houston (almost.)

Thanks in advance for tolerating my quasi-off-topic intrusion and for anything y'all might offer.

• 2 months later...
Palm Center is/was not an enclosed mall.

I found this description in chron:

While on the topic of first malls...

I have always heard that about River Oak Center

But 15 years before another center was built in the nation???

I have also heard that Highland Park Village (1931) in Dallas was the first shopping center in America .

So i guess the key is to define a category so you can be "first" in something! :lol:

Sharpstown Mall also had an honor as the first enclosed/climate controlled mall.

Everyone is first at something.

"This is the second mall to be built in Houston after Gulfgate Mall opened in 1956. Sharpstown Center was the first air-conditioned, enclosed shopping mall in the Houston area. Because it was Houston's first air conditioned mall, many Houston residents residing in the central part of the city wanted to experience the 'mall of the future.'
Edited by gwilson

Some of you might, might, might remember the DRIVE-IN movie at the end by 610. Was called The King Center Drive-In.

I mentioned in another topic. We saw Blacula there! Had to be around 1972-73 becasue he was like a Shaft dracula dude but was like real hip but bit people. Had platform shoes and a cape. We were one of the very few families that didnt look like everyone else. Not gonna say because everyone will get upset like on that goofy "racism" thread. Hope you all understand. Want to keep peace in the family. In any case it was torn down and is now a Burger King, rats!

I also grew up in this area from 1976-1986.

Recently I ended up back here in 2004 and now live off of Park Place and Reveille.

I remember going to King Drive in. I remember sitting in line along the 610 feeder road to get in and being able to see the movie playing as we waited to pay to get in. I saw "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" there with my parents in the west lot. Also saw "Survive" in 1976 (remade as Alive in 1993) there in the east lot. That one traumatized me, a 6 year old boy shouldn't see someones intestines hanging out.

The Burger King came along a couple of years before the theater closed. That BK closed around 2004.

Edited by djrage

• 1 month later...

I never saw the original Palm Center (at least that I was old enough to remember :P ) but I have been intrigued by the pic in the 1972 architecture guide. Two story open air retail. looks similar to a 50's-60's motel - sort of.

Can anyone describe this part of Palm Center and what stores were in there?

Funny you should ask, 2 of my friends from the '50's-'60's play a sort of nostalgia game trying to name all the stores, etc. I was there opening day, Kitirik was there, merry-go-round and you got a free cupcake that might have a Silver Dollar in it. Gulfgate was built about 59 or 60.

I only recall visiting Oshman's (on far north east side)? by the early 1980's? Forgetting, other than that we would shop across the street at Montgomery Ward's.

There was or is a Midas Muffler Shop across the street. We only went there in early 80's to get our cars fixed. By then the area had become quite rundown and I knew Palm Center's days were numbered. I was actually shocked to know that Shell had a learning center there for a while but they left about 3 yrs ago? At least I think so.

You can tell that the neighborhoods behind this center was really nice when new. This part of the city had or has so much more potential. Developers where are you?! I imagine it would take millions to modernize? :(