Broadway Blvd. Improvements

I heard on the radio this afternoon that Broadway between the Gulf Freeway and Hobby Airport is slated to receive $17 million in improvements in conjunction with the expansion of the airport. Does anyone know anything more about this? Are there renderings to see?

There is much to be done. The street is heaved up terribly and I imagine that is what the bulk of the money will go for but I don't know what can be done about the dismal apperance of much of the private property on either side of the boulevard. Perhaps the airport expansion, street improvements, and recognition of Glenbrook Valley as one of the City's significant neighborhoods will "float those remaining boats."

I lived at the Broadway Square Apartments in the late 1980's just after Southeast Memorial Hospital had relocated. The neighborhood was still relatively nice (the apartments were well kept while I was there) but one could see things starting to slip. One thing I really enjoyed was the ability to walk to the Airport and catch a flight. That save me a bunch of time and parking fees.

I remember hearing about this project when they did the groundbreaking of the new International terminal at HOU a few months ago. They're doing it now so there will be a smooth gateway to and from HOU when the international flights begin. Broadway should've been rebuilt 15 years ago. The dips and potholes were terrible even back then. I'm surprised that the COH didn't at least do a quick asphalt overlay of the stretch between I-45 and the airport in that time.

"Travelers headed to Hobby Airport might want to consider an alternative to Broadway for the next couple of years, with a rebuilding project set to start soon."

Yeah duh.  I quit taking Broadway to Hobby years ago - too many lights and too much side traffic.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived