Apartments In The Visitor Parking Lot Of 2016 Main St.

LarryDierker

I totally agree with you on the first point.

As for the proposed bus terminal location, I think it should be near Burnett Transit Center/Casa de Amigos Rail Stop.  It has light rail and bus stops, right on I-10, near 59 and 45... but there must be a reason they haven't moved.

If Dupont Circle was gentrified by brave pioneers willing to move there, buy old town homes, clean things up and promote community pride and Times Square was rid of seedy shops and homeless and replaced by tourism spots why can't Houston do something similar? 

Not an exact parallel but a thought on Greyhound - several car dealerships in Suburban DC Maryland were moved out of downtown Silver Spring onto a loop further out called Automotive Blvd, where several dealerships, body shops and Jiffy Lube live. They got some sort of incentive to move. Put Greyhound in some sort of Bus Terminal Area for other buses similar near a light rail stop off one of the future Eastern lines?

attachicon.gifAutomotive Blvd.JPG

• Like 1

Well said HTown!

I lived in DC for a few years, in a very up and coming neighborhood, with Whole Foods down the street and a bunch of high end condos all around. On my 3/4 block walk to whole foods, I had to walk past a church with a homeless encampment on its front stairs, and a hardware store that served as day-laborers pickup location.

And guess what, the neighborhood was all the better for it, quite lively and diverse. My wife walked that block with our infant baby every day without ever feeling threatened.

Let's stop pretending that the homeless are such a nuisance and undeserving of living amongst us.

Were you near Logan Circle? I remember a Whole Foods on P street there.

I lived in Mt. Vernon Triangle. We had the new Ssfeway just up the block from an old liquor store and sketchy strip club (Louis the Rogue!). The neighborhood nonetheless came along quite nicely.

• Like 1

Were you near Logan Circle? I remember a Whole Foods on P street there.

I lived in Mt. Vernon Triangle. We had the new Ssfeway just up the block from an old liquor store and sketchy strip club (Louis the Rogue!). The neighborhood nonetheless came along quite nicely.

Thtat's right. I was on 15th just South of P street.

That Safeway was known as the Russian Safeway because it was small, had a poor selection, things were regularly out of stock, and always had long lines. But it was much cheaper than Whole Foods!

• Like 1

And put them where? Transients are likely to en up on the street

True.

The problem is the density of the Transients.

The best thing that the police can do is to "get them to move on"...... If they are moving somewhere, they by definition, aren't loitering. Having a stern policy of "moving on" will quickly get those who are sane to "move on" to another city where the public and police tolerate their desires to drain society of its kindness.

True.

The problem is the density of the Transients.

The best thing that the police can do is to "get them to move on"...... If they are moving somewhere, they by definition, aren't loitering. Having a stern policy of "moving on" will quickly get those who are sane to "move on" to another city where the public and police tolerate their desires to drain society of its kindness.

"Officer, why do I have to move on? I am waiting for my bus/waiting for my brother to arrive". Either of those is a reason to be loitering.

"Officer, why do I have to move on? I am waiting for my bus/waiting for my brother to arrive". Either of those is a reason to be loitering.

Yep, sure is a valid reason.

Officer: "great! What time is your brother arriving?"

Street Urchin: "he is coming in about an hour"

Officer: "terrific! have fun with your family! I'll be back in an hour to double check if your still here. Sure hope that I don't have to write you a citation for loitering."

Simple.

The real truth as that the vast majority of the Urchins would not make up your "brother" story. It's easier to just move on.....and, IMO, they would. Others would fill the spaces. And the police presence would need to be ongoing and continuous. Those who are waiting for their brother will feel nice and safe. Those who are not waiting for their brother will ultimately leave as it is simply easier to find a quieter hovel.

Yep, sure is a valid reason.

Officer: "great! What time is your brother arriving?"

Street Urchin: "he is coming in about an hour"

Officer: "terrific! have fun with your family! I'll be back in an hour to double check if your still here. Sure hope that I don't have to write you a citation for loitering."

Simple.

The real truth as that the vast majority of the Urchins would not make up your "brother" story. It's easier to just move on.....and, IMO, they would. Others would fill the spaces. And the police presence would need to be ongoing and continuous. Those who are waiting for their brother will feel nice and safe. Those who are not waiting for their brother will ultimately leave as it is simply easier to find a quieter hovel.

And, the fact is that unless it's outside a convenience store,or for prostitution, loitering is apparently not illegal in Houston.

The 4 guys always sitting on buckets, blocking the sidewalk across Main from the Station, and always fighting with each other need to move on. I bet they move on when construction starts. I also see the same two prostitutes hanging out in front of the station.

We drink beer high on a balcony in 2016 Main. It's better than any movie.

• Like 6

Why would they do that? Is the station moving there? I thought that part of town was "up-and-coming"?

Cause they may be clearing the lot for these apartments.

• Like 1

Why would they do that? Is the station moving there? I thought that part of town was "up-and-coming"?

The bus station isn't moving, just the place where Greyhound parks the buses that will be used later in the day. This is far better than the days when they parked them on the street.

First five floors of Central Square are gutted and windowless now. This project is going to have a very ugly neighbor in the short term, but it should be much better by leasing season.

BTW, is there a thread for Central Square? I can't find it.

It's hiding under the name "Old Central Bank Building."  Here's a link:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/90-old-central-bank-building/

First five floors of Central Square are gutted and windowless now. This project is going to have a very ugly neighbor in the short term, but it should be much better by leasing season.

BTW, is there a thread for Central Square? I can't find it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...