The death of "The Superette"

Purpledevil

I loved going to the "little store" for cokes and laffy taffy. Dibellos was located on the corner of Avenue K and 66th in the East End. It was a converted house. The building is still there.

EastEndSusan and other EastEnders...do you remember a wooden house/ corner store called the Wu's? It was within walking distance of my great-grandmother's house...west of N. 71st, Central Park/ Magnolia Park. It was on a corner. I remember a screen door and old wooden floors. Mid-sixties. I would like to know the address, and if the bldg. is still standing.

Edited by NenaE

It wasn't this one on the corner of 71st and Sherman? http://goo.gl/maps/YRghb

It also used to be Stokleys, Schades, and also Simmons Food Mart over the years (nothing I see lists Wu's, but that doesn't mean much).

No. But that's the one she went to the most. I know it well...little bottled cokes, ice creams with wooden spoons and Tropicana orange juice came from there. :) it's for sale, BTW.

Oops, I sent you in the wrong direction... that should be - East of N. 71st.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

how hard would it be for someone to open one of these "superettes" in todays grocery and bix box retail enviroment? I only ask because it seems like most of the old superettes can not compete price wise, I would love to have one of these types of stores in my neighborhood(Fairbanks/Northwest Crosssing), but with the Walmart, Target, and the numerous dollar and c-stores I dont think one would be able to survive even though we dont have alot of traditional grocery stores in the area.