Park Place Methodist Church At 3827 Broadway St.

Ashikaga

Now I've just remembered something else from my years (1962-64) in

Houston. I remember going to Sunday School at Park Place Methodist Church

(I attended Kindergarten at Park Place Elementary School).

If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Park Place Methodist Church

on Interstate 45 (Gulf Freeway)? If I'm right, is it still there?

Chet Cuccia

• Like 1

Now I've just remembered something else from my years (1962-64) in

Houston.  I remember going to Sunday School at Park Place Methodist Church

(I attended Kindergarten at Park Place Elementary School).

If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Park Place Methodist Church

on Interstate 45 (Gulf Freeway)?  If I'm right, is it still there?

Chet Cuccia

yes it is still there along with st chrisopher's etc.

a bit of trivia...did you know that their older building(s) to the north of this structure was the original Park Place BAPTIST Church. They relocated down Broadway at Dixie and Sims Bayou in the 50's and I guess the Methodists bought their old building. Also the old Park Place City Hall was where the current methodist building is. I think the Methodist Church was orignally a smaller facility just on the corner at the circle (some land was lost to the freeway).

I like how the pigeons hang out in the gridded steeple tower. There always seems to be a lot of 'em

a bit of trivia...did you know that their older building(s) to the north of this structure was the original Park Place BAPTIST Church.  They relocated down Broadway at Dixie and Sims Bayou in the 50's and I guess the Methodists bought their old building.  Also the old Park Place City Hall was where the current methodist building is.  I think the Methodist Church was orignally a smaller facility just on the corner at the circle (some land was lost to the freeway).

I  like how the pigeons hang out in the gridded steeple tower.  There always seems to be a lot of 'em

Thank you. Like I said, I left there 41 years ago.

Chet Cuccia

I just noticed this, subdude! you said their slogan was "cathedral of the common man"

look closely at that rendering...My driver is waiting for me to get out of church! Common man!?? pbbbbtthh!

Doesn't he look like a chauffer?! :lol:

(probably just a guy in a hat..but anyway..it is hard to tell)

The lady to the right is very classy too but I guess everybody was back then...getting all dressed up to travel, etc. especially for church.

I just noticed this, subdude! you said their slogan was "cathedral of the common man"

look closely at that rendering...My driver is waiting for me to get out of church!  Common man!??  pbbbbtthh!

Doesn't he look like a chauffer?!  :lol: 

The lady to the right is very classy too but I guess everybody was back then...getting all dressed up to travel, etc.  especially for church.

Yes, back then men made it a point to put on suits when they were having their picture taken.

• 5 months later...

look closely at that rendering...My driver is waiting for me to get out of church! Common man!?? pbbbbtthh!

Doesn't he look like a chauffer?! :lol:

The lady to the right is very classy too but I guess everybody was back then...getting all dressed up to travel, etc. especially for church.

Are there any Satanic/Athiest/Heathen places of worship in Houston? The U.S. guarantees freedom of religion.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Crooner Jack Jones was married in the Park Place Methodist Church in the mid to late '70's.

Are you serious!? I wonder why Jack Jones would have married there? I mean he was rich & famous way before that? His wife must have been from Houston?

Can some place a photo of this church in here _______________. :blush:

I think we discussed in East End section recently under Reminicing about Past & Present structures of EE.

Are you serious!? I wonder why Jack Jones would have married there? I mean he was rich & famous way before that? His wife must have been from Houston?

Can some place a photo of this church in here _______________. :blush:

I think we discussed in East End section recently under Reminicing about Past & Present structures of EE.

That's the church I always talk about, one of my first posts had a pic of it. Right by "suicide circle".

• 10 months later...

This is my parents' church. My grandparents were charter members.

There was a time when it was pretty popular for weddings. It really is a lovely building. It is well-proportioned, and unlike a lot of modern churches it has a long center aisle. What I remember about the Jack Jones wedding was that it was chosen for just that reason.

The building is long paid-for, but the congregation is struggling. They've consolidated with others in the area, but still don't have the numbers to pay the bills, so the building doesn't get cared for as it should.

The building is long paid-for, but the congregation is struggling. They've consolidated with others in the area, but still don't have the numbers to pay the bills, so the building doesn't get cared for as it should.

Sorry to see they sustained so much Ike damage and that the congregation is struggling.

Hopefully they find a way to save the original Park Place Baptist Church Building - before they moved across the freeway in the 50's. It's the red brick building next door to the main church - corner of Kingsley. It would be a shame to tear it down just for more parking (as shown in their plans).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...6744247576,,0,5

BTW, the current Methodist church building partially sits on the location of the old Park Place City Hall and Fire Station.

Churches seem to go thru phases, one is when they struggle to maintain such huge bldgs. Hope the main bldg. endures. That mosiac tile work is what I admire the most. Reminds me of the Methodist Hospitals. I vaguely remember being in there when I was maybe 5 yrs. old, remember it being so huge.

• The title was changed to Park Place Methodist Church At 3827 Broadway St.