Houston named US road rage capital !

Obviously there's another missing factor at play since Houston is 4th in population but 1st in road rage.

Yes: the missing factor is a small sample size. Either way, it would be fairly easy to argue that road rage and population do tend to be correlated.

He's using an Either/Or Fallacy to suggest that if you have more light rail that you can't have wide freeways.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a mindset that believes this, erroneous as it is.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually my issue with the survey goes beyond just the sample size.  The study based its findings on the number of people that admit to the following:

Honk their horn, curse at another driver, wave their fist or arms, make an obscene gesture, call the police to report a driver, slam into the car in front of them.

It's a pretty big stretch to categorize most of those things as "road rage".

Honk their horn, curse at another driver, wave their fist or arms, make an obscene gesture, call the police to report a driver, slam into the car in front of them.

It's a pretty big stretch to categorize most of those things as "road rage".

OKden.  

I'll acknowledge there is a difference between the "heads up" light tap when someone is texting at a green light and a full on blare, and I'll grant a pass on the muttered oath (but not the shout out the window).  The rest of them sound pretty ragey, though.  

I suppose I should be glad my routine rarely if ever takes me to Cinco Ranch.  :mellow:

OKden.

I'll acknowledge there is a difference between the "heads up" light tap when someone is texting at a green light and a full on blare, and I'll grant a pass on the muttered oath (but not the shout out the window). The rest of them sound pretty ragey, though.

I suppose I should be glad my routine rarely if ever takes me to Cinco Ranch. :mellow:

The phrase "road rage" was coined in the 1980s to describe the reason that motorists were firing guns at other motorists in LA. I find making an obscene gesture to be in a slightly different category.

The phrase "road rage" was coined in the 1980s to describe the reason that motorists were firing guns at other motorists in LA. I find making an obscene gesture to be in a slightly different category.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/road%20rage

I consider anything that involves a person with a hot temper a form of road rage.  Perhaps it was coined for another reason, but it is still very dangerous for someone in a 3-5,000 lbs car or truck to follow you too closely, or to swerve in and out of traffic, or to otherwise indicate they are not mentally fully in control of themselves.

Houston has its share of dangerous drivers.  Whether or not those people are committing "road rage" is one thing, but they are driving dangerously.

Well, we've got a lot more murder per capita here than in Portland as well, so I'd say they got it right.

Provenance notwithstanding, I think most people start thinking of road rage long before bullets begin flying.  Even under your more restrictive definition, "slamming into the car" ought to be aggressive enough, too.  BTW, letting a fellow driver know that he's Number One (so to speak) is a good way to get the bullets going.

Bill King is a joke. That article can not and should not be taken seriously.

It's only an opinion piece, and remember--you were accusing me earlier of "discrediting anything I didn't like" while promoting your favorite opinion pieces.

On topic, I think there was one incident where a friend was driving in Houston and someone who he accidentally cut off (or something, I'll have to ask him later) followed him for a bit to a parking lot (but kept driving)

This is my plan on how to decrease traffic jams, have better drivers and freeways:

1- increase the speed limit to 70

2- trucks shouldn't be on the road in rush hour.

3- slow drivers should be on the right lanes only.

4- left 2 lanes for speeding, and drivers should move if someone is approaching at a faster speed from behind(on the left lane)

This is my plan on how to decrease traffic jams, have better drivers and freeways:

4- left 2 lanes for speeding, and drivers should move if someone is approaching at a faster speed from behind(on the left lane)

... and the death penalty for any jackass speeder who hurts someone in an accident. I'd be good with that.

-How about 1 lane for "speeders"?  I drive 67-69 in a 65 and don't NEED to get out of anyone's way if I'm in the middle lane.  Couldn't care less if someone wants to drive 90mph in the middle lane - use the LEFT lane.  Or, how about everyone drives the posted speed or 5mph over?  If the speed is 65, then everyone drives that speed.

-Trucks won't ever be removed from the rush hour traffic.  By what definition is rush hour?  In Houston it is now safe to assume rush hour is from 6-8:30 am 4-6:30pm.

-Driving isn't about "moving" someone out of the way.  It's about getting from point a to point b safely and in a timely manner.

There was a discussion here earlier that the 65 mph speed limit had nothing to do with the traffic count and more of obsolete emissions laws.

There was a debate about whether we should increase the speed limit to 70mph all over town because some on this board are impatient, or they simply like to drive fast and have high performance cars.  I don't think it had to do with obsolete emissions laws?

We all share your frustration, but the problem is that many drivers simply don't understand the concept of slow traffic keeping right.  Seriously - they are just unaware of the concept or in too much of a haze to remember it.  I see this every morning on the way to work.  I think the only way to handle it (on freeways) is to issue special license plates that would restrict the driver to a designated speed.  This would be not only for vehicles that were slow, but for ones such as 18-wheelers that lack agility and the ability to accelerate relatively rapidly.  The same plates could be issued to elderly drivers, for their own protection as well as others.  

Europe has a good model.  In congested areas you are always under notice to yield to pedestrians, regardless of "rights-of-way".  This is common sense and I'm on board with it.  On the other hand, on major arterials and freeways enforcement of passing laws is MUCH stricter than in the US.  There, if you lag in the passing lane I can guarantee you there will rapidly be a queue of angry honking drivers behind you.  Drivers are held to a higher standard and don't forget it.  You would be surprised at the amount of effective road capacity they are able to get from what are typically two-lane motorways simply by segregating fast and slow traffic.  

^ Shoot - I'd almost settle for drivers not blocking the crosswalks at red lights.  

Europe has a different mindset about traffic and enforcement, which begins with the training and testing process - both of which are far more extensive than what we have.

We all share your frustration, but the problem is that many drivers simply don't understand the concept of slow traffic keeping right.  Seriously - they are just unaware of the concept or in too much of a haze to remember it.  I see this every morning on the way to work.  I think the only way to handle it (on freeways) is to issue special license plates that would restrict the driver to a designated speed.  This would be not only for vehicles that were slow, but for ones such as 18-wheelers that lack agility and the ability to accelerate relatively rapidly.  The same plates could be issued to elderly drivers, for their own protection as well as others.  

Europe has a good model.  In congested areas you are always under notice to yield to pedestrians, regardless of "rights-of-way".  This is common sense and I'm on board with it.  On the other hand, on major arterials and freeways enforcement of passing laws is MUCH stricter than in the US.  There, if you lag in the passing lane I can guarantee you there will rapidly be a queue of angry honking drivers behind you.  Drivers are held to a higher standard and don't forget it.  You would be surprised at the amount of effective road capacity they are able to get from what are typically two-lane motorways simply by segregating fast and slow traffic.  

Interesting.

Another issue that I think has been ignored is the fact that I, like many others who have a DL, have never actually had a driver's test.

I took the driver's ed when I was 15. I got a certificate of completion. I passed a computerized test at the dmv. BAM! I'm a licensed driver.

No where outside of the driver's ed coarse was I evaluated on HOW I drove. And even that was a murky assessment at best. I mean, you're paying for the class. What incentive does the guy have to fail you?

So here I am, some 10+ years later and all I have to do is just fill out a form and pay $ every so often to keep my DL. If it hadn't been for the defensive driving courses that I've taken over the years (b/c of tickets mind you) I would have never had to keep up with driving education. And I've still never had to PROVE how well I drive.

Hair dressers go through more rigorous training that I did and they can't kill anyone by cutting hair.

If you want to reduce traffic jams and make roads safer, make it harder to get DL's, require continuing education, and require a real road test when getting / renewing a license. It's actually pretty simple.

Trucks can't be eliminated during rush hour but I would love to see them denied the use of the left lane on all freeways at all times. 

Already in place on some Houston freeways. Trucks can't use the left lane on I-10 east of Downtown, on 225, on 290, etc.

Interesting.

Another issue that I think has been ignored is the fact that I, like many others who have a DL, have never actually had a driver's test.

I took the driver's ed when I was 15. I got a certificate of completion. I passed a computerized test at the dmv. BAM! I'm a licensed driver.

No where outside of the driver's ed coarse was I evaluated on HOW I drove. And even that was a murky assessment at best. I mean, you're paying for the class. What incentive does the guy have to fail you?

So here I am, some 10+ years later and all I have to do is just fill out a form and pay $ every so often to keep my DL. If it hadn't been for the defensive driving courses that I've taken over the years (b/c of tickets mind you) I would have never had to keep up with driving education. And I've still never had to PROVE how well I drive.

Hair dressers go through more rigorous training that I did and they can't kill anyone by cutting hair.

If you want to reduce traffic jams and make roads safer, make it harder to get DL's, require continuing education, and require a real road test when getting / renewing a license. It's actually pretty simple.

I think that you are right that US driver training is relatively slack.  I also think that if some chowderhead is blocking the passing lane people behind should honk and flash their lights, to wake the slow driver up and remind him to get over.  This isn't rude, it's communicating to a driver who isn't following the rules.  

I think that you are right that US driver training is relatively slack.  I also think that if some chowderhead is blocking the passing lane people behind should honk and flash their lights, to wake the slow driver up and remind him to get over.  This isn't rude, it's communicating to a driver who isn't following the rules.  

Unfortunately, honking or flashing lights at chowderheads often instigates road rage.  I did so yesterday (mind you, just a tap) to a jackass who blew a stop sign and nearly clobbered me who then locked his brakes, turned around, and started to give chase.  So I led him to the constable parked a couple blocks up the street.  When the doofus screeched up and began yelling, the constable waved me on and invited the idiot to have a moment of prayer with him.

Unfortunately, honking or flashing lights at chowderheads often instigates road rage.  I did so yesterday (mind you, just a tap) to a jackass who blew a stop sign and nearly clobbered me who then locked his brakes, turned around, and started to give chase.  So I led him to the constable parked a couple blocks up the street.  When the doofus screeched up and began yelling, the constable waved me on and invited the idiot to have a moment of prayer with him.

post-41219-South-Park-NICE-gif-Imgur-CQw

We all share your frustration, but the problem is that many drivers simply don't understand the concept of slow traffic keeping right. Seriously - they are just unaware of the concept or in too much of a haze to remember it. I see this every morning on the way to work. I think the only way to handle it (on freeways) is to issue special license plates that would restrict the driver to a designated speed. This would be not only for vehicles that were slow, but for ones such as 18-wheelers that lack agility and the ability to accelerate relatively rapidly. The same plates could be issued to elderly drivers, for their own protection as well as others.

Europe has a good model. In congested areas you are always under notice to yield to pedestrians, regardless of "rights-of-way". This is common sense and I'm on board with it. On the other hand, on major arterials and freeways enforcement of passing laws is MUCH stricter than in the US. There, if you lag in the passing lane I can guarantee you there will rapidly be a queue of angry honking drivers behind you. Drivers are held to a higher standard and don't forget it. You would be surprised at the amount of effective road capacity they are able to get from what are typically two-lane motorways simply by segregating fast and slow traffic.

Also being the fastest state you would think many drivers drive fast. I'm amazed at other states who have lower speed limit but drive around 80-85mph and drivers always move if someone is approaching.

Houston needs a better driving curriculum. We all know outside of the city the usual driving laws of "left lane is for passing/speeding" don't really make sense. Everyone in Htown has a place to be and because we're so ridiculously spread out, we want to get there in the least amount of time as possible. People tailgate and speed in and out of traffic and don't even realize the danger they're putting themselves in.   

Ok, I'm going to be the bad guy on this one. Crucify me if you must. You know what angers me to no end? The jackass that sees a line of cars waiting patiently to get past a closed lane of a construction zone, and decides he's going to skip past all of that and bully his way in to the open lane at the very last moment. I won't let you do it if I'm the car/truck sitting where the closed lane cuts off and merges into the one I'm in. If the car behind me let's that occur, then that's their choice, but you do it to me and we WILL exchange paint, lol.

^It's called a merge and using all of the available concrete to funnel into the single lane is the most efficient use of triangulated space. You can try to block me but if you stop the line the person behind you that I'm already blocking is going to be as mad at you as you are at me. That's just life in the big city.

Lol. Try to block them, he says. There is no "trying" when you drive a 3500 one ton pickup. The person behind me can be mad all they want. If they let it happen to them, forcing them to stop to allow the nitwit to pull that bush league move, that's not my fault. If I was the driver behind me, and behind them, and so on, the car trying to merge would be sitting there until the end of the line in the open lane.

It's like standing in a line at the DPS. Someone sees the line snaking out the door and around the corner of the building. A person walks up, sees the line, says the heck with waiting my turn, uses all the "available concrete" on the sidewalk, to cut in front of the first person in line so they can get their license renewed first, because after all, their time is much more important than yours. Would you not speak up and say, hey jackass, the end of the line is back there? It's the same thing to me, minus the cars. Lol, it's just a pet peeve of mine. We've all got them, I guess. Life in the big city indeed! It's a good indicator as to why we've got so many paint and body shops scattered around town. :-D

Does it concern anyone else that DNAguy has never taken an actual driving test with an instructor? When I first got the DL, I went through a pretty extensive series of tests. Parallel parking, correct usage of the mirrors, backing up in a straight line 50 feet, etc. How do you get licensed without proving your ability to control the car and follow the laws of the road by a certified instructor? Certainly no shot at you personally, DNA, but that scares me a little that you were granted the privilege to drive without the road course testing.

Mollusk: great story! Did you luck out with the constable sitting there, or did you knowingly set the trap and lead him in?

Mollusk: great story! Did you luck out with the constable sitting there, or did you knowingly set the trap and lead him in?

Pure, blind luck.  If I didn't already know that he was there, Plan B would have been to turn in the direction away from the grade school, etc., and just invoke Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration and my knowledge of back streets.  I'm pretty sure I could have eventually lost Billy Bob Ray Jack in his camo'd out old K5 Blazer.

Archived