Alexan Downtown: Multifamily At 1414 Texas Ave.

downtownian

Looks like residential houses in 1907.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/sanborn/g-i/txu-sanborn-houston-1907-vol1-017.jpg

Unfortunately UT has not put many of the later maps online yet but you can look them up at the Julia Ideson building, Texas Room.

Interesting. The foundations that they are currently busting out are walls of 8" thick concrete that is ~8 feet deep. 

Looking at historic google earth images, there seems to have been a structure there in February 2004.  

In the historic aerials at http://www.historicaerials.com/it looks like there was a blocky looking building there until 1995.  In the 1966 photo there are diagonal lines that look like buses or trucks lined up.  Someone said a while ago that it was the bus station?  When did Greyhound move to Midtown?

If only Alexan and Catalyst had discovered that sooner and figured out a use for it - because I bet that they fill it in and it's lost

It's hard to see, but I think it has a wall about even with the near side curb.  Still, could have been a cool little feature between the two developments, something along the lines of a link between a couple of basement bars.  I guess it was just part of the basement.

Looking at historic google earth images, there seems to have been a structure there in February 2004.  

In the historic aerials at http://www.historicaerials.com/it looks like there was a blocky looking building there until 1995.  In the 1966 photo there are diagonal lines that look like buses or trucks lined up.  Someone said a while ago that it was the bus station?  When did Greyhound move to Midtown?

Yep, Greyhound bus station.  I believe it moved to Midtown in early 1970s.

s-l225.jpg

• Like 3

Is that still the current Greyhound bus station in Dallas? If so plaudits to Dallas.

I must admit that I am always impressed at how Dallas does a much better job of repurposing old buildings.

Yes it is. It was probably the bus company that decided to relocate in Houston's case and remain in Dallas's case.

Look at all of the homeless people in this historic postcard.  I guess things truly never change.

That was back when propriety mattered, why just look at them. People actually dressed up nicely to go live on the streets, not like today's youngsters that wear swimsuits to funerals.

That was back when propriety mattered, why just look at them. People actually dressed up nicely to go live on the streets, not like today's youngsters that wear swimsuits to funerals.

it was an artists rendition of homeless propriety.

Edited by samagon

When did we start getting scared of windows?

I think they make the building look more charming, balanced and welcoming. That greyhound building looks so much better.

Now a lot of the new towers are so fortresslike on the ground floor, homes too have windows added like an after thought.

I don't know how they can justify not putting in windows on the ground floor by saying it is more cost effective, when the 39 floors directly above is wrapped in glass

• Like 1

When did we start getting scared of windows?

I think they make the building look more charming, balanced and welcoming. That greyhound building looks so much better.

Now a lot of the new towers are so fortresslike on the ground floor, homes too have windows added like an after thought.

I don't know how they can justify not putting in windows on the ground floor by saying it is more cost effective, when the 39 floors directly above is wrapped in glass

• Like 2

I guess the turning point was when the folks on the street went from being desirables to undesirables. About the time the tunnels were built and the 1980's crime wave hit.

And yes, I completely agree, Americans are scared to death of windows, especially in the South. Philip Johnson actually once made this comment about Houstonians, that fall and spring are glorious in Houston, but the people there just stay indoors with the windows closed and the a/c running because they're so used to it from summer. I had a French roommate at my apartment at A&M one year who didn't understand why, if it's an April day and the weather is 76 degrees, people don't just open up all their windows and let the breeze blow through. Heck, the modern dorms at A&M don't even have windows you can open and they're only 4 stories tall. And does any multi-story office building in Texas built after 1930 have operable windows? Quite common on midrise office buildings in Europe. (end rant.)

Some of the midrise offices in Europe also do not have A/C. Sucks when a heatwave comes through, unless you're staying in a nicer hotel. 

I agree, there are numerous Town Houses going up on San Felipe that look like above ground bunkers. Even on some of the older houses facing north, there are no windows on the street what-so-ever. This whole week has been marvelous and I have had the windows open except at night. Would be nice if the office was the same, but as much as people complain about the temperature already I'd imagine they'd complain about their allergies as well.

Do any of the windows open up in the high and midrise apartments currently Downtown? I guess you could leave the balcony door open? Or would the wind gusts be too strong?

The windows in my apartment look like they might open, but they also look like they may just unscrew and fall out onto the street - I haven't gotten drunk brave enough to try to open one.

I do leave my balcony door open a lot, even in the summer.  A nice breeze will carry off the smell of my cooking 

the current Greyhound station was build as the trailways station right before Greyhound bought them out.

Once that as done, Greyhound moved out of the downtown location to the newer Midtown facility in the late 8's.

I was at the old bus station twice, once after getting fired by a band from Omaha who was breaking up anyway (they sucked), and the other was to meet up with buddies in Baton Rogue in another band that was better, but still, they broke up.

both were in mid '86, so I know they were still downtown then...

• Like 1