Alexan Downtown: Multifamily At 1414 Texas Ave.

downtownian

Just curious, what is the story on Houston's dirt? Is it good, bad, or average for construction? I know where I live up in MD we have lots of rocks in our soil so my old townhouse always had a crappy weed infested yard by the time August rolled around, anyone know?

Purdue could probably tell you chapter and verse, but I think we're essentially a combination of sand and clay with little in the way of bedrock.  What that means for relative ease of construction, I wouldn't hazard a guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious, what is the story on Houston's dirt? Is it good, bad, or average for construction? I know where I live up in MD we have lots of rocks in our soil so my old townhouse always had a crappy weed infested yard by the time August rolled around, anyone know?

Houstons soil is made up mostly of dark clay and some loam. It moves a lot and there is essentially no

bedrock under the city that is anywhere close to the surface.

Yes but there is still more to the block.

The rest of the lot was going to be townhouses last we heard

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/08/06/more-details-revealed-for-historic-renovation.html?s=print

Todd Interests also plans to build nine rental townhomes framing a parking garage on the southern corner of Block 72. Currently, the lot serves as surface parking. The two- and three-story brick brownstones with walk-up front entrances will make that area feel more like a neighborhood, McFarlane said.

Here's the thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31687-petroleum-building-great-southwest-building-possible-redevelopment/?hl=%2Bgreat+%2Bsouthwest

• Like 1

what's that gray building?

EnWave, they provide cooling for 24 buildings downtown.

http://enwaveusa.com/content/houston-38777.html

• 1000 Main
  • 1001 McKinney
  • Alley Theatre
  • Americana Building
  • Chevron
  • Christ Church Cathedral
  • Commerce Tower
  • Courtyard by Marriott
  • El Paso – Travis Place
  • Embassy Suites
  • Episcopal Diocese Administrative Offices
  • Episcopal Diocese Mission Outreach Center
  • Houston Chronicle
  • Houston Pavilions
  • Humble Towers Apartments
  • Inn At the Ballpark
  • Kirby Building
  • Magnolia Hotel
  • Marriott Residence Inn
  • McKinney Garage
  • Minute Maid Park
  • Sam Houston Hotel
  • South Texas College of Law
  • Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse
  • Like 3

They're digging out the old foundations with good speed. Along the Texas side, they uncovered what looks like the entrance to a concrete tunnel big enough to walk in heading toward the Catalyst building site.  It was in the middle of the block, so I couldn't see well enough to tell how far it might go. It could be an old utility tunnel, or even just part of a basement foundation that happened to look like a tunnel from that angle, but it interesting to see that there was once something pretty substantial on that block at one point.