METRO Draft Reimagined Network Plan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Meetings start next Wednesday

1     Magnolia Multi-Service Center     7037 Capitol St., Houston, TX 77011     Wednesday, May 28     6pm-8pm

2     Metropolitan Multi-Service Center     1475 W. Gray Street, Houston, TX 77019     Thursday, May 29     6pm-8pm

3     Ellis Memorial Church of Christ     412 Massachusetts St., Houston, TX 77029     Tuesday, June 3     6pm-8pm

4     Trini Menenhall Sosa Community Center     1414 Wirt Road Houston, TX 77055     Thursday, June 12     6pm-8pm

5     HCC – Northwest College (Spring Branch Campus)     1010 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N., Houston, TX 77043     Monday, June 16     6pm-8pm

6     HCC – Southwest College (Alief Hayes Campus)     2811 Hayes Rd., Houston, TX 77082     Thursday, June 19     6pm-8pm

7     Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center     6500 Rookin St., Houston, TX 77074     Thursday, June 26     6pm-8pm

8     White Oak Conference Center     7603 Antoine Dr., Houston, TX 77088     Wednesday, July 9     6pm-8pm

9     Hiram Clarke Multi-Service Center     3810 W. Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77045     Thursday, July 10     6pm-8pm

10     Westbury Baptist Church     10425 Hillcroft Street, Houston, TX 77096     Tuesday, July 15     6pm-8pm

11     Third Ward Multi-Service Center     3611 Ennis St., Houston, TX 77004     Thursday, July 20     6pm-8pm

12     Sunnyside Multi-Service Center     4605 Wilmington St., Houston, TX 77051     Monday, July 21     6pm-8pm

13     Mangum-Howell Center     2500 Frick Road, Houston, Texas 77038     Thursday, July 22     6pm-8pm

14     Northeast Multi-Service Center     9720 Spaulding St., Houston, TX 77016     Thursday, July 24     6pm-8pm

15     Acres Homes Multi-Service Center     6719 W. Montgomery Road, Houston, TX 77091     Monday, July 28     6pm- 8pm

16     Kashmere Multi-Service Center     4802 Lockwood Dr., Houston, TX 77026     Thursday, July 31     6pm-8pm

I'm really curious about the 'flex' zones and how they'll work.

Does any other major city have them?

Are they a model for other areas of Houston / un-incorporated Harris county /  suburban cities like Sugar Land could emulated in the future as more and more people move here? 

How do we ensure that we don't have to re-invent the wheel like this again?

Does Metro have a strategic plan for bus service?

Pretty pointless meeting. Hard for metro to relate when most if anyone on the board even rides transit regularly. I gave some suggestions on apps, tapping phones on buses, digital signs at stations, eliminating HOV lanes and replacing with commuter rail, putting pedestrian walkways between south point and fuqua, running buses every 7 minutes, eliminating gmp, building university line. They didn't like hearing about a lot of it but that's too bad they need to take it. And nobody wants to hear we can't do it when other cities are doing far more than us. This would've been a cool goal 30 years ago but it's just a first step not an ends to the means.

Given their limited budget, what would you cut in order to do those things?

I understand the situation. I'm happy with what they're doing now but just wanted to pass along my ideas for the future too. The biggest deterrent is the GMP situation. From the back room changing of the ballot to asking people to vote against transit because of fear of the legislature it was just totally bizarre.

• 8 months later...

Metro board approves major changes to bus system...

The Metropolitan Transit Authority board on Wednesday approved the most sweeping overhaul of Houston's bus service in decades.

The new system, expected to take effect in August, will shift from a downtown-focused, hub-and-spoke design to a broader network that resembles a grid pattern. The changes will not affect park-and-ride service.

Approved in concept in September, the plan has undergone revisions to allay concerns about how it would affect certain communities, particularly in northeast Houston.

Metro plans a public education campaign to acquaint riders with the new system over the coming months.

http://www.chron.com/news/transportation/article/Metro-board-approves-major-changes-to-bus-system-6075420.php

A relevant piece from the NYT.

The short version: rail is far more expensive than bus service yet no faster, but rail lines continue to be built because bus service is perceived as inferior. 

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/business/to-save-on-rail-lines-market-the-bus-line.html?referrer=&_r=0

Noooooo!  Say it ain't so.  All we need is better bus service and good marketing?  All that money wasted on rail.../EndGloat

Noooooo! Say it ain't so. All we need is better bus service and good marketing? All that money wasted on rail.../EndGloat

Do you ride the metro bus to work?

Do you take a metro bus to specific activities on your leisure time? Like, say, the Rodeo or an Opera?

If you do, how do you like the experience? If you don't, why don't you?

A relevant piece from the NYT.

The short version: rail is far more expensive than bus service yet no faster, but rail lines continue to be built because bus service is perceived as inferior. 

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/business/to-save-on-rail-lines-market-the-bus-line.html?referrer=&_r=0

Actual quote from article:  

from most places in New York City, iwon’t be faster than taking existing bus service to the airport, because it will run southeast from the airport, away from Manhattan.

(the airport the article refers to is LaGuardia).  It stands to reason that going in the wrong direction might affect ride times...  :ph34r:

As for Oakland's rail replacement of the AirBart... as a percentage, the few minutes it saves is significant, and that's before factoring in frequency.  Beyond that, the AirBart bus had to stop at a number of lights and navigate several intersection turns.  It was a slightly less dramatic ride than the current Land Rover ad with the street car motorman throwing people all over the place by abruptly stopping to admire the car.

132 is axed, so I'm trying to figure out how I get from Rogerdale at Harwin to Westheimer and Dunlavy at 8 PM at night. I guess I will have to bring bicycle and ride to 82 Westheimer, or ride to the 152 Harwin flyer. 

I'd guess the ride south is safer, traffic-wise from Rogerdale @ Harwin to Bellaire than going north, although they have improved Rogerdale with sidewalks north of Harwin.  Could you take 2 to the red line and then 82 back to Dunlavy?

Do you ride the metro bus to work?

Do you take a metro bus to specific activities on your leisure time? Like, say, the Rodeo or an Opera?

If you do, how do you like the experience? If you don't, why don't you?

For various reasons, neither metro bus or rail service fits my needs.  So, when I do take either one I have to make a specific effort to do so.  That said, about a year ago I had a work day on my hands with no real work to do so I tooled around inside the loop on various buses and the llght rail.  Had a good time, saw a lot of stuff, but also spent a lot of time cumulatively waiting on buses and the train and walking to and fro between stops and destinations.  That's ok if I've got the day to kill, but not so much if there are things that need to be done (besides quaffing liters at Bar Munich).  I'm going to try it again once the new service is implemented to see what the improvements are like.

Archived