Sign in to follow this  
torimask

Almeda Mall aerial 1985

torimask    67

Another find I thought worth sharing: north facing aerial found among the South Belt Leader files.

Almeda Mall area at left, downtown visible at top.

This was before the Gulf Freeway was rerouted over Almeda Genoa. Lots to spot if you grew up in the area in my era.

post-12498-0-83260100-1399567190_thumb.j

• Like 1

foxmulder    0

What year do you suppose? What was where the Office Max before? I know a venture was there at some point.

Another find I thought worth sharing: north facing aerial found among the South Belt Leader files.

Almeda Mall area at left, downtown visible at top.

This was before the Gulf Freeway was rerouted over Almeda Genoa. Lots to spot if you grew up in the area in my era.

torimask    67

1985 -- it was filed with a couple of other aerials over the green belt, later to become the Sam Houston Tollway at Beltway 8 and on the back of one of those was marked 4/2/85

gnu    58

What year do you suppose? What was where the Office Max before? I know a venture was there at some point.

It started out as a Woolco

IronTiger    805

Hey, I like it--there's some sort of "Hilton Mattress Liquidator" at Almeda Square (that old logo is gone now), it looks like it might be a Mervyn's, but I don't think so.

Steak & Ale is now a Wings N More (should be BreWingz now since WnM Houston lost the franchise) 

Where was the Venture/Woolco?

gnu    58

Hey, I like it--there's some sort of "Hilton Mattress Liquidator" at Almeda Square (that old logo is gone now), it looks like it might be a Mervyn's, but I don't think so.

Steak & Ale is now a Wings N More (should be BreWingz now since WnM Houston lost the franchise) 

Where was the Venture/Woolco?

Woolco was where Floor and Decor is now.  Very top of the photo.  NW corner of Almeda-Genoa and Gulf Freeway.

Oshman's was where Hilton Furniture is now.

Cannot remember what the main store was at Almeda Square (front facing away in photo)  but I remember it was a Phar-Mor in the late 80s and early 90s and a Big Lots in 00s

intencity77    167

I clearly see a Whataburger sign in the lower left hand corner but can't place where it's located. Is/was it in the shopping strip directly in front of the sign?

IronTiger    805

I clearly see a Whataburger sign in the lower left hand corner but can't place where it's located. Is/was it in the shopping strip directly in front of the sign?

It looks like it was the end-store of the shopping center (I think I can make out a Whataburger logo on the storefront).

The Gulf Freeway looks like it was built to Interstate standards by this time but not yet to its current state. When did this happen?

brhaltx    23

I remember it being there, but I'm not sure if it was in the strip center or a separate building.

SpaceGhost    70

Currently there is a whataburger on Fuqua so maybe this was the back entrance that ran behind the strip center.

That location wasn't built till 1988 according to HCAD. I would warrant a guess though that when the strip center location closed (looks like it probably lacked a drive-thru) that it moved over to Fuqua.

IronTiger    805

That location wasn't built till 1988 according to HCAD. I would warrant a guess though that when the strip center location closed (looks like it probably lacked a drive-thru) that it moved over to Fuqua.

I think on the actual building, I see a tiny Whataburger logo on the last thing in that strip mall (the one to the right with the green awning)--or are my eyes tricking me?  :wacko:

SpaceGhost    70

I think on the actual building, I see a tiny Whataburger logo on the last thing in that strip mall (the one to the right with the green awning)--or are my eyes tricking me?  :wacko:

Yeah it looks like that could be a Whataburger logo. Checking out streetview there's a side door on the building which would be indicative of a restaurant. Although the arched windows make it look like a Mexican place may have moved in there. About the only other spot I see that could be where the Whataburger was is where 5 Star Autoplex is currently located. The sign on the place looks kinda Burger King-ish but as you can see the Whataburger sign at the time wasn't W shaped it had whitespace making it square. Google's Historic Imagery makes it look like the building previously had some sort of drive-thru lane.

Btw on a semi-related note I got my Houston library card today! Apparently I have to wait a while for the Chronicle Archives to let me in, although once it does I'll try to see if I can find anything as this likely would of been one of the first Whataburgers in that area right?

GEM    6

Any photos out there of Almeda Mall in the late 60s...early 70s?..... :) 

Subdude    1,308

Would the old Best Products be visible anywhere in that picture?  It seems it was in the vicinity.

NenaE    122

Best Products is not visible in the photo. It was located ( in the photo) to the left, top of JC Penney, roughly behind the original theater bldg, It sat almost at the corner of the two streets. The Bracewell library is seen behind Penneys.

Edited by NenaE

Michelle C    82

No Subdude, Best Products would be at the end left end of Kingspoint street. Kingsport is the street in foreground. It is just out of the picture.

Here is another aerial of the Almeda Mall area to give you a little more perspective. This picture is a lot earlier, probably in the early seventies. Note where it says SITE that the only thing there is a drive through bank. Nothing had been developed on the other side of Kingsport yet.

post-11998-0-94665800-1399653422_thumb.j

Edited by Michelle C

torimask    67

I've posted a number of photos I've excavated here if anyone is interested: http://southbelthouston.blogspot.com/2014/03/almeda-mall.html

Yes, where you see the Whataburger sign was the place I remember going with my Dad in the 70s. It is in that end spot and did not have a drive-thru that I can recall. It was later converted into a Mexican restaurant but now sits empty. It is on the end of the strip center where Brown Sugar's BBQ moved after it changed homes from back near Wolfe nursery and Monterey House (just out of the picture, far left). Where you see Bracewell library sitting in the Almeda Parking lot, at left, just across the street would be the spot I'm referencing. 

The big store across from Oshmans name escapes me, possibly Service Merchandising?

Edited by torimask

brhaltx    23

Yeah it looks like that could be a Whataburger logo. Checking out streetview there's a side door on the building which would be indicative of a restaurant.

I think it's in the north end of that strip center; zooming in, it looks like it even says "Whataburger" on the facade.  I remember that there was something odd about that location; I don't think I ever went in.  "Odd" is probably that it was in a strip center.

brhaltx    23

The big store across from Oshmans name escapes me, possibly Service Merchandising?

Service Merchandise.   I don't remember one at Almeda Mall (there was one at Gulfgate), but since they were a Best competitor, maybe there was one at Almeda Mall.

torimask    67

I think it's in the north end of that strip center; zooming in, it looks like it even says "Whataburger" on the facade. 

Yes, driving past there a few weeks back you can still make out the lettering on the building now.

NenaE    122

The strip center definitely had a Whataburger in it. The only strange thing ( to me) was that it wasn't in a stand alone A-frame bldg. The time period was probably early to mid 1980's. The Diamondback Saloon was located in the middle of that strip center, at the time.

Edited by NenaE