Is COH Abandoning 200 Block Of Fairview St.

trymahjong

I took this picture today. Tomorrow I'll call the number, to record my comment.

Somehow it won't allow me to post it right side up.

Funny. I was talking to another forumer if they knew what this was before I posted. They had no clue either. The same sign exist on another lost but I can't copy and paste that image from my phone.

I took this picture today. Tomorrow I'll call the number, to record my comment.

Somehow it won't allow me to post it right side up.

Is that right near the curve where Fairview turns in to Tuam if you are heading east ?  Would they be closing it off at Taft ?

I doubt they are closing Fairview. Maybe whichever side street is at that corner. Fairview carries too much east/west traffic.

That is what I was thinking -- seems like a really busy street to close -- I use it all the time coming and going from Midtown/Montrose

But that's just a "request for abandonment", the city wouldn't actually do it, would they? If I, as a sleazy developer (or maybe a practical joker with too much time on my hands) filled out a request to abandon a major road, that would still count and it would be filed, right?

I called the 8323953118 number--There is a call log kept and you have to give your name and address before any questions can be answered. This is what I was told:

There has been a request to abandon the alley--the fifteen foot alley surrounded by Taft, Hyde Park, Mason and Fairview--  a property owner wants that additional square footage for development--

You can advise the person, who takes the call log,  if you agree or disagree-

Some of the Avondale residents told me the COH common sewer line for all those buildings runs under that alley/lot-- can it be built on?

That's an intersting question. I can't imagine an utility easement "going away" where an active utility exists just because the property has been deeded to a private owner. It would be foolish to build over a known underground utility in any case. Of course, if it is just intended for access to the property, and the most that could be lost is some paving, I could understand.

There is a sewer line running along that alley, according to the CoH GIMS system. There's no formal easement, because the alley belongs to the City. I would be disappointed if the City gives up that land, and the access to the sewer.

• The title was changed to Is COH Abandoning 200 Block Of Fairview St.

Archived