E J's Bar At 2517 Ralph St.

Montrose1100

I heard a rumor the bar is closing in 2 months to make way for a hotel. Any insiders know anything?

EJs is closing - after 40 years......

http://about-online.com/2014/04/27/historic-montrose-ejs-bar-bids-farewell-community-4o-years/

It could be a big chunk of land if the buyers also bought the lot next door/behind EJs (where they were going to build a mid rise a few years ago) and the vet clinic on the corner.....not saying they did, just thinking out loud...

Edited by HoustonMidtown

On Ralph at Westheimer. Between Mark's and Buffalo Exchange. Large lot also in between that at one time was going to be a residential tower. Some foundation work was even done. I had heard some talk about a hotel there, by the Austin/Hotel San Jose group. Maybe...

I was wondering what those weird circular holes were on the lot next to it (visible on Google Earth). The EJ's lot is weird, as it kind of wraps around to the back of the Buffalo Exchange. I know this first hand as my vehicle was towed for being one spot over on their lot while shopping.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

just saw this thread...AFTER i just posted a new topic about the new restaurant...sorry! but yeah they really transformed the place and enjoyed dining at the restaurant for their grand opening last night...read my new post for the review etc.

:)

• The title was changed to Rumor On Ej's Lot
  • The title was changed to E J's Bar At 2517 Ralph St.
  • 5 months later...

the funny part is that it WAS a cool fun place to go, but the food and service were subpar so i never really went after the initial opening period...

it is a cool venue so maybe something else worthy will come along. 

• Like 1

Yeah, La Grange was mostly popular because it's a great space. I'm sure someone will come along quickly to take another stab at the venue. We just have to hope that whoever comes along does a good job and doesn't just do a quick flip to try to make a quick buck. I'd be looking at Goodnight Hospitality, so they can connect it to the rest of their development in that area

• Like 1

La Grange was perfect on a nice sunny day or evening. The atmosphere just kind of sucked the past year or so.

A Goodnight Hospitality takeover would be nice, but they have been focused on more high end dinning. I don't know what the rent is at La Grange, but It would be great if they could open a causal place like La Grange was.

My ideal setup would be dining in the front, and more of a causal bar scene in the back. Kind of like how Hey Merchant and Underbelly were set up.

• Like 2

I got hammered there many times but that was like 5 years ago. The neighborhood is def going through a change with ACME closing and the redevelopment of the property. The old One/Fifth building is getting renovated and Drake's is scheduled to open as well.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 3:52 PM, bookey23 said:

According to Reddit and Google, La Grange closed last night

Chron.com has more details on La Grange's recent closure. La Grange was located in the Montrose area at 2517 Ralph St.

Details from today's Chron article:

[La Grange co-owner Rob] Cromie said that La Grange quietly shuttered Jan. 8.

“We just can’t compete with the big guys, being a small, mom-and-pop type of organization,” Cromie said.

Cromie said the restaurant had struggled to reclaim its pre-pandemic audience. High rates of inflation also contributed...

https://www.chron.com/food/article/la-grange-closure-18600240.php

• 3 months later...

Several occupancy permits were purchased yesterday for 2517 Ralph St:

• 1 story occupancy inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit

Details from the permits:

• Use: Occ Report/ restaurant / bar / 6 ,273 sf
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

2517 Ralph St was last home to neighborhood bar La Grange. I'm not sure if the recently purchased permits pertain to a new business moving in or not.

1 story occupancy inspection permit

L8hsoaZ.png

Certificate of occupancy permit.

s6cIhZx.png

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 6:41 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Several occupancy permits were purchased yesterday for 2517 Ralph St:

2517 Ralph St was last home to neighborhood bar La Grange. I'm not sure if the recently purchased permits pertain to a new business moving in or not.

I think the occupancy permits purchased last week are for a new business at 2517 Ralph St. Supposedly, a new venture from Sundown Entertainment is slated for the former La Grange space.

Sundown Entertainment is behind local bar and night club concepts The Sporting Club, The Sugar Room, Clutch, and Todos Santos. Muse is also part of their dining portfolio.

It's possible the name of the business opening at 2517 Ralph St is Melrose. I'm not sure. I'm also unsure of the concept; although I'm leaning towards it being a bar or a lounge.

There is an Instagram for Melrose and registered web domain.

Edit: The business slated for 2517 Ralph St is Melrose. I did a search and noticed the business recently applied for an alcohol permit.

https://melrosehtx.com/

https://www.instagram.com/melrosehtx

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

I'm not very excited about this news. All of those bars mentioned above are Washington bars that serve overpriced drinks, subpar food, and turn into a nightclub after 10pm. This might just be a happy hour place for me.

More importantly, it's going to mess up my Poison Girl weekend nights with overfill from the club :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ToolMan said:

I'm not very excited about this news. All of those bars mentioned above are Washington bars that serve overpriced drinks, subpar food, and turn into a nightclub after 10pm. This might just be a happy hour place for me.

More importantly, it's going to mess up my Poison Girl weekend nights with overfill from the club :)

True, but it's possible Melrose could be different. I'm still unsure what Melrose will be. It could be a bar, lounge, nightclub, or restaurant.

I think Sundown Entertainment is partnering with one or both owners of Clarkwood for this forthcoming establishment. Perhaps this will have a similar vibe to Clarkwood, the wine and cocktail bar at 3201 Allen Pkwy, Suite 190. I noticed both Clarkwood proprietors are following Melrose on Instagram, so that's why I'm making the partnership assumption.

Hopefully, more details will be released soon to the public via local news outlets.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston