What If HCTRA And METRO Were Merged?

There was a mention of this in another thread, but it's a question I've wondered myself--METRO seems to be a pretty incompetent agency by itself, and the lack of a unified system across greater Houston (The Woodlands, Pearland) brings it down.

What HCTRA and METRO were merged, so that a now-much bigger authority could take tolls and give Greater Houston the transportation system (highways + rail) it needs? Obviously, this could help trim extra people (mostly incompetents) from the system, but it might be a great synergy seeing both work together and both achieve greater things.

What do you think?

I think we need to keep multiple transit agencies rather than one that has a monopoly on the region. I'd actually prefer if METRO spun off its light rail program to another agency and just focused on improving the Houston bus system. METRO is focusing too much on light rail and forgetting about the bus system. Let another agency handle the rail side.

I think it would be a good idea.  HCTRA seems to have no problems getting billions of dollars for construction costs.  If they apply their "charisma" to achieving funds for improving the transit system, that would be great.  

I think it's an interesting idea.  They generate about the same amount of revenue (on the order of $600 million in 2012, with Metro's being a bit more).  However, ~90% of HCTRA's comes from tolls, whereas ~90% of Metro's comes from taxes.  It's interesting:  both revenue sources come from the pockets of individuals, yet if I wanted to lend money to either one for infrastructure development, I would naturally prefer HCTRA.

Like most people, I'm had ongoing concerns about the competence of Metro's management.  The fact that it's been a revolving door hasn't helped.  On the other hand, HCTRA's management isn't covered at all by the local media.  

Which leads me to this:  competent management is probably my highest priority, however, I am also concerned about corruption.  I don't really know how these two entities compare in those regards.  Perhaps the public would benefit by merging them, but in any case, I think we would also be well served by having a brighter spotlight focused on their operations.

• The title was changed to What If HCTRA And METRO Were Merged?

Archived