• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like those arches.

Its great that the school is getting far away from its commuter school image.

U of Houston is improving all around. This is great for the city.

Its Law School pulled up in the us news ranking last year edging into the top 50 with Baylor and SMU.

There is talk of creating a Med School (seems like overkill to me) but a good med school would help.

Anyway sites anyone know a ballpark figure for the number of rooms catering to UH students? IM talking about both on campus apartments and dorms and private off campus housing

I like those arches.

As Texasota pointed out, you won't be able to like those arches for too long. That building is potentially on the chopping blocks across the street.

They are REALLY going to have to improve the lighting under the bridge if they are going to claim it is pedestrian friendly. Not that it is a dangerous underpass, but I can say that at the same time that I certainly don't feel safe and that's coming from someone who's not even walking under it but riding my bike!

Either way, excellent use of that land! Sounds like we could expect the samething across the street.. perhaps. Hopefully it is sound proof though cause I'd hate to be listening to trains while I'm studying for finals. 

Edit: ok wait.... 

easy acess to SE METRO rail line"

Seriously.. what are they talking about. No easy access at all. 

In the end, Third Ward is being bombarded from all sides now with development. From TSU to UofH to the Midtown area and now from the north of I-45. Even Scott St. is getting a lot of new fast food joints, gas stations, etc. I will love to see this area 5 years from now.

The city committed to a "full redo" of Cullen to be completed by this September. This vote just happened like a week ago. Going to be interesting watching them try to get that done.

Does UofH still have a master plan to someday shut down Cullen to bridge the gap between the campus and the stadium? I thought they always had the idea to make a promenade down Cullen or something similar to it.

Does UofH still have a master plan to someday shut down Cullen to bridge the gap between the campus and the stadium? I thought they always had the idea to make a promenade down Cullen or something similar to it.

From what I've been told, that is still in the works but is many many years away. The idea is to improve Cullen now rather than wait for the street to simply get worse. Uofh is all about image at the moment. The master plan is to shut down that portion of Cullen between the stadium and the rest of campus, build future classrooms and housing there, and eventually have an interior bus route closed off to public traffic and have it circulate around the entire campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like less than a 10 minute walk to Leeland station.

Being at UofH for five years, I can guarantee you that NO ONE in their right mind will walk from this location to the station. Some areas don't even have sidewalks and the spots that do, they are covered in mud. This is along 45 and whatever other street connects to the station, not even Cullen itself. It's not anywhere close to being safe. The only way to get from this to the station will be via bike, in my opinion. That way you can speed past everything that is there.

Being at UofH for five years, I can guarantee you that NO ONE in their right mind will walk from this location to the station. Some areas don't even have sidewalks and the spots that do, they are covered in mud. This is along 45 and whatever other street connects to the station, not even Cullen itself. It's not anywhere close to being safe. The only way to get from this to the station will be via bike, in my opinion. That way you can speed past everything that is there.

I must be out of my mind then :P cause I used to walk from UH in all sorts of directions when I lived in campus 6 years ago

• 3 weeks later...

This project's tax abatement will be heading to a vote today at City Council. For those wondering, Aspen Heights gets its name from the style of housing. Their developments are supposed to look like western / ski lodge type buildings. Normally, their developments function like apartments, but look like single family homes. Their marketing ploy is that students want to live in houses, but want the flexibility of individual leases, and the security of a gated complex. They've been expanding greatly over the past three years or so. Their corporate offices are in Austin.

I hope their management improves. I've seen complaints about nearly every development they have completed. They look good for a while, but the material quality is poor and the management seems to be lacking. 

http://www.dnj.com/viewart/20140205/SIDELINES01/140205001/Aspen-Heights-not-what-promised-residents-say

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2014/5/7/biggest-clusterfudge-aspen-heights/

Those are just two from the past few months. I also previously worked for a municipality that recently had a completed Aspen Heights project, and it's been a mixed bag for them. We approved the project during my time there, but it was finished after I moved to Houston.

It's better to have something built on the site than simply an abandoned lot.

post-12790-0-50397300-1401287343_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have doubts about the viability of this project. I knew the Vue projects would be successful because demand is there but the location is perfect. It is close enough to campus to walk/cycle without fear and thus save on parking fees. In fact, it's literally just a stone's throw away from the Bayou Oaks complex (Greek housing). 

This proposal on the other hand is on the other side of 45. That underpass is Hobo central and the area around Finger's is a whole different kind of sketchy. If I am a parent, there's no way I let my child commute via foot or bike to campus after dark having to cross busy feeder roads and under a freeway. You then have to factor in parking fees for campus... but, if you're going to pay for parking and live off campus, why not just live in the Med Center, Midtown, or Montrose with other students? Tons of UH kids live in the various Camden, Alta, Post, Gables, etc... places just over 288. 

• 4 months later...

wow that looks like shit. wtf happened? I mean that's a complete 180 from the original concept! I also agree with Triton, wtf is with all that parking? This thing is simply garbage. This thing will look like crap after 10 years.

What the hell is up with all of that parking? Is this going to be a satellite parking lot for the school?

Maybe they figured that no one wanted to have a view of the train tracks, and that much parking allows them to have guest parking for the residents.  Or the buildings going to be much denser than what it looks like.

(Personally I loved my view of the train tracks in my first apartment...)

Maybe they figured that no one wanted to have a view of the train tracks, and that much parking allows them to have guest parking for the residents.  Or the buildings going to be much denser than what it looks like.

I say build a park if they don't want to be too close to the tracks. And that's a hell of a lot of guests... that's enough parking for a HEB!

No that's just piss poor planning and doing the bare minimum in terms of site analysis. This is textbook laziness. They decided to take the easy way out and blame other for the site they are using instead of accepting the challenge the site provided. I mean this is as generic as generic gets.

Agree, both designs were bad.

Interesting that Aspen Heights pulled out of this and instead went for land on the other side of I-45. Very wise move. The Vue has been wildly successful and Riverside Terrace has made a huge comeback. 

MLK @OST > other side of 45

Archived