• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol no body in their right mind will walk from here to campus

Well then, this will either require shuttle service or everyone is just going to need a bike... no one in their right mind is going to live here and spend hundreds of dollars on a student parking pass. Does Campus Vue get shuttle service or is that too close to the Bayou Oaks bus station?

I'm just saying it not with in walking distance of most of campus

Sure it is. Besides, most of the parts of campus that are farthest from here are student housing.

Lol no body in their right mind will walk from here to campus

The underpass at 45 sucks, this is going to be a bigger factor in keeping people from wanting to walk than the actual distance.

During the actual fall and spring semesters, the weather isn't generally too hot to walk this far.

I'm just saying it not with in walking distance of most of campus

It's closer in walking distance to places like Cougar Field, Moores School of Music, and the Architecture building than other residential buildings like Bayou Oaks are.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fountain Residential Partners Developing Third Residential Project at the University of Houston

HOUSTONJan. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Dallas-based Fountain Residential Partners, in a joint venture development with Austin-based Virtus Real Estate Capital, announced today the development of its third student housing community in Houston, Texas for theUniversity of Houston and nearby Texas Southern University.  Located on Cullen Boulevard at the main entrance to the University of Houston campus, The Gateway on Cullen brings the total number of UH student housing beds developed to more than 1,300.  Nationwide, the firm has developed well over 4,600 beds during its 5-year history.

The 7.7-acre property will consist of 531 beds including one-, two-, four-, and five-bedroom apartments and townhouses, along with a resort-style pool, volleyball court, an 8,000 SF clubhouse, full-fitness and cardio center and private study rooms. Unlike previous off-campus housing and the current on-campus housing stock, the majority of the units at The Gateway on Cullen will be in two-level, townhome configurations upwards of 1,900 square feet. Each fully furnished unit will feature vinyl wood plank flooring, granite countertops, queen sized beds, 50-inch flat screen TVs, stainless steel appliances and full-sized washer and dryers.

The Gateway on Cullen was designed by Stuart Roosth Architects and is being constructed by Temple, TX-based MW Builders, Inc., and will be completed before the Fall 2017 school year.

24670920515_e4301fbdf5_b.jpg

Well, this is a new announcement. I think this is something on the UH side right? What's the point of calling it a gateway if it's not really a gateway.

See your own post #5 on page 1.  This has always been across the freeway.

LOL, I can't imagine the roommate drama that's gonna happen with those five bedroom units. But seriously I think this is a good project for UH and the Eastwood area. There's a lot of land around there for redevelopment (old Finger's, Bestway Motor) that hopefully this might help spark.

While these would be a tough walk, it's in a sweet spot for cycling to campus. Cullen has a bike line and it's 5 - 10 minute ride to most places on campus.

No way these are on university owned property. These are being built privately. I've always been curious to see how this plays out if it is indeed the other side of the freeway. Overpasses are pretty large mental barriers to overcome.

Dirty sketchy barriers...

I had forgotten what was going to be built here but last week I noticed the lot had been mowed for the first time in a while, surveyors were out along Cullen and orange spray painted utility markings were on the sidewalk and grass along Cullen.

• 3 months later...

This is an awesome project for the city and UH. May be a couple years ahead of its time as far as location but the entire area will be getting a facelift soon. The old fingers will be have a major grocery chain in that place and the ugly motel will be torn down while the 45 to 59 ramp will be redone this summer. There will be great transportation options for the students to get to the other side of the freeway.

There are also rumors about new student housing being built on the corner of Scott and Elgin where the old bookstore used to sit. Exciting times to be a student at UH. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived