Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

Nate99

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is better than them building a new building. Are there any vacant buildings left? Le Meridian will take the other building that I wanted to see restored. Battlesteins I guess?

The white brick Stowers building on the BG Place block is one. It was at one point rumored to be an Aloft Hotel conversion, but so far there has been no activity there (nor any definitive news that the idea was dead),

Stowers and the building on the corner of Prairie and Fannin are two restoration jobs that have found no tenants.

The white brick Stowers building on the BG Place block is one. It was at one point rumored to be an Aloft Hotel conversion, but so far there has been no activity there (nor any definitive news that the idea was dead),

Stowers and the building on the corner of Prairie and Fannin are two restoration jobs that have found no tenants.

Corner of Prarie and Fannin does have a tenant. Some medical or charity organization I forget. Should be moving in soon.

Stowers building is cool. I hope it gets use soon.

what is the building on the corner?  Are those lofts?  It looks occupied, but for what?  Also, I love the renovations, but that location probably gives some nice views of the guys in federal custody hooping it up on the top of the building across the street.

Corner of Prarie and Fannin does have a tenant. Some medical or charity organization I forget. Should be moving in soon.

Yes, the former Wilson Printing Building is now owned by the Episcopal Health Foundation.  The foundation's offices are in the building (top floor, I believe) and the rest of the building will soon be occupied by the now-being-created Hines Center for Spirituality and Prayer.

• 9 months later...

Application filed for 1114 Texas Ave and 1121 Capitol St to be placed under the National Register of Historic Places. Great set of photos and history of these two in the file below.

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/public/upload/preserve/national_register/draft_nominations/Houston,%20SW%20Bell%20NR%20SBR%20Draft.pdf

Also came across this, page 16:

The 1121 Capitol Central Office building, owned and occupied by AT&T, is not part of the rehabilitation project underway for building at 1114 Texas Avenue, which is being converted to a 154-room Hyatt Place hotel. In the basement, a pool and laundry room and offices are planned. The ground floor will have the reception area, lounge and dining facilities. The 130 penetrating telephone conduits at this floor will be enclosed behind sheetrock walls per ATT’s stipulations. The second floor will have two meeting rooms and exercise room, as well as the active communications conduits behind a sheetrock wall for privacy and security. The third through sixteenth floors will provide eleven guest rooms per floor. At the ground floor lobby, the original terrazzo floor will be uncovered and restored. The original marble lobby wall on the east side will be retained. The west marble wall panels will be relocated to the elevator walls and the walls surrounding the conduits. The original elevator hoistway doors and jambs and mail chute will be restored. The original fifteen foot high plaster elevator lobby ceiling has been replaced with a later suspended ceiling, which will be removed. The first two floors with the marble slab sheathing and the cantilevered entrance overhang are proposed to be retained, with a new storefront glass opening to match the original in size and proportion.

24143117581_4118835dda_b.jpg

Glad to see that this one isn't dead. I'm interested to see how they manage the construction, the access to the building is pretty much limited to the 30-40 feet fronting Texas Ave.  They will almost certainly have to take a lane out of the street to have any space to put dumpsters, etc.  

The building turned AT&T bunker behind it is an interesting thing. It's a lot of patchwork on the outside, but is apparently still needed and useful to manage the hub/trunkline networking stuff for downtown. I wonder if it could ever be repurposed prior to that infrastructure being replaced completely, and I have no clue how feasible that is.

Application filed for 1114 Texas Ave and 1121 Capitol St to be placed under the National Register of Historic Places. Great set of photos and history of these two in the file below.

http://www.thc.state.tx.us/public/upload/preserve/national_register/draft_nominations/Houston,%20SW%20Bell%20NR%20SBR%20Draft.pdf

Also came across this, page 16:

24143117581_4118835dda_b.jpg

Sounds like they're bringing sexy back.

Houston has turned the corner in repurposing of old buildings downtown.

Here is a list of the hotels just open or in the process of becoming hotels, or residences

J.W. Marriot

Holiday Inn

Aloft

Le Meridien

Hyatt Place

Texaco residence

proposed Southwest Life building

and a couple of others I can't recall the names.

One is now a residential tower across from the Texaco Bldg.

We aren't saving everything but it is a substantial number and is surely a step in the right direction

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

I think these older buildings are sexy. 

I love the idea of retaining some brick downtown

Same. Just hope some of the original HAIF members who fantasized about this sort of thing see the news, since they aren't here anymore. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived