Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

Nate99

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Final plans for the conversion to a hotel for 1114 Texas Street were approved on Friday, 6/2/2017. 150-rooms.

COH Project Number: 16026115

http://www.pdinet.pd.houstontx.gov/cohilms/webs/Plan_LookUp.asp

http://houstontx.gov/planning/Publications/listsrv/WebeReport.html

It's not on the Downtown District's May 2017 hotel development map, but nonetheless...

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/research-reports/

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/06/08/70-year-old-office-building-to-be-transformed-into.html

Add another historic hotel renovation to downtown Houston's portfolio.

The 16-story office building at 1114 Texas St. will be redeveloped into a Hyatt Place hotel, Rahul Bijlani, senior vice president of CBRE Hotels, confirmed to the Houston Business Journal. Bijlani's client, Nick Patel of Pride Management Inc., owns the property and will lead the redevelopment, he said. Patel declined to comment for the story.

The 154-room hotel will open in December 2018, Bijlani said. The redevelopment will cost $14 million, according to a building permit filed with the city of Houston.

The 115,360-square-foot building at 1114 Texas was built in 1948, per public records, and was last valued at $1.9 million as of Jan. 1.

Yeah there's almost no access to this building.  Even if all they're doing is internal rennovations, if Savoy -> Holiday Inn is any guide they'll need somewhere for a dumpster at the bear minimum - and I don't see a place for them to put it.  Maybe they can get one down the back alley from Capitol st

34 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Yeah there's almost no access to this building.  Even if all they're doing is internal rennovations, if Savoy -> Holiday Inn is any guide they'll need somewhere for a dumpster at the bear minimum - and I don't see a place for them to put it.  Maybe they can get one down the back alley from Capitol st

Wouldn't it make more sense to go in the alley from Texas?

I've seen a car parked in the capitol alley way.  I think they left through the sun roof though.

I just looked at the street view and the Texas end is a little bit bigger than I remembered.  Probably big enough to squeeze a dumpster into it

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7591544,-95.3612761,3a,75y,206.94h,121.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szU1hbvDqk2b2hNFbdrw9lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Cool. I'm interested to see how they manage the construction. This thing has about 30 feet of access in front before they block the Magnolia or the lofts on the other side.

The 1114 Texas building is 47' 6" wide.

And the alley is 10' 10" wide.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/hahc/App_Materials_2017/March_MATERIALS/1114_Texas_Alt_Windows_APP_Materials.pdf

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Houston19514 said:

Only off by a third.

I thought the Magnolia parked its dumpsters in that alley, but I could be off on that too.

• 1 month later...

Still nothing. 

EDIT:

3 hour later update - some dudes with clipboards and a measuring wheel were walking around from the alley and in to the front door when I just walked by.

I know, riveting stuff, but it's more than the nothing I reported earlier...

**** Can we move this post to the Downtown Forum ****

This is no different than the other hotel renovations we have followed there (Downtown Forum)

honestly sounds like construction logistics. I am sure the developers of this project would have worked out the functionality of the final product by now. I am optimistic that we will see construction activity this year.

I seems to me that downtown hotel space has exploded over the last 4 years and I just have a nagging sense that it is getting over built.  6 years ago it could be hard to find a room in downtown on any given day.  Now, that really doesn't seem to be the case.  But, I know zip about the lodging business and what "over built" means.

22 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I seems to me that downtown hotel space has exploded over the last 4 years and I just have a nagging sense that it is getting over built.  6 years ago it could be hard to find a room in downtown on any given day.  Now, that really doesn't seem to be the case.  But, I know zip about the lodging business and what "over built" means.

Remember, we are shooting for the highest level of conference hosting. This requires a hotel / bed minimum. We were drastically short compared to other cities we try to compete with. All these rooms help. We also have growth in residents and office, which also increase the demand.

• 3 months later...

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Hyatt-Place-Hotel-to-occupy-Southwestern-Bell-12361027.php

The midcentury Southwestern Bell building in downtown Houston will get new life as a 150-room Hyatt Place Hotel.

The development group, including Anthony Patel and Nick Patel of Pride Management, has obtained a $22.8 million loan for the long-vacant building from Dallas-based Hall Structured Finance, the companies announced. Renovation of the 16-story high-rise is targeted for completion by March 2019.

The first-lien construction loan, which closed after Hurricane Harvey and represents a portion of the development costs, will jump start the project.

Wow!  That’s great news.  A 16 month construction cycle seems a bit optimistic to me but, whatever.  

What I am really enjoying is seeing how the hotel chains are putting various “levels” of product  across downtown.  Some “luxury”, some “business”, some “budget” etc.  Kinda cool to watch.

is ther one category that we don’t have in DT yet?  “Extended stay”?  I don’t think that we have that, yet.

33 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Wow!  That’s great news.  A 16 month construction cycle seems a bit optimistic to me but, whatever.  

What I am really enjoying is seeing how the hotel chains are putting various “levels” of product  across downtown.  Some “luxury”, some “business”, some “budget” etc.  Kinda cool to watch.

is ther one category that we don’t have in DT yet?  “Extended stay”?  I don’t think that we have that, yet.

We have a Residence Inn and a Homewood Suites.

FWIW, the doors were open again yesterday with a port-a-potty parked in the vestibule.  A few workers were milling about waiting for someone or something else to show up.

It would appear that at least some cash is flowing, which is always a good sign.

9 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Rooms at the Hyatt Place Hotel project, between Fannin and San Jacinto, will be on floors 3 through 16 and average more than 400 square feet each, according to Hall Structured Finance. Plans call for a dining area on the ground floor, a rooftop cocktail bar, a pool and fitness center in the basement, and 800 square feet of meeting space on the second floor.

Keep 'em coming. That'd give us three rooftop hangouts downtown (the others being Le Meridien and Aloft).

It's been another good year for hotel also. We might push yet another record year (unfortunately with Hurricane Harvey contributing a good amount in September), the current record holder being 2015 right now.

HotelSept32017.PNG

9 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

That's not accurate. There are other rooftop bars in downtown: The Grove, El Big Bad, and the High Dive at Marriott Marquis.

The Grove yes.  El Big Bad no - it is a balcony attached to the second floor of the building.  I didn't know about High Dive either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived