Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nate99

1114 Texas Street to Become Hyatt Place Hotel

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Stupid question: assuming a building has a working elevator already, what is the use of a separate construction elevator on the outside?

 

To move big heavy or dirty stuff that for many reasons would be impractical to move in a normal elevator.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

To move big heavy or dirty stuff that for many reasons would be impractical to move in a normal elevator.

 

Agree, and I would presume that rehabbing old elevators that have been out of service for a long time is fairly time consuming, specialized work.  Putting that in the way of the rest of your critical path could push your schedule significantly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are crawling all over this thing now. Today they had a window cleaner type gondola scaffold on the alley side doing work, and they were passing long pipe like stuff up from the ground floor via guys hanging out the windows. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this city is really starting to come together. Walkability is better, construction is booming, and old buildings are being repurposed the right way! I think us HAIFers are in the prime of our cities renaissance. Much how New Yorkers were in the early 1900's.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been waiting to see what they were going to do with the facade... Looks like they might keep the limestone, though not original? I am seriously digging the original windows...

 

Related image

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I have been waiting to see what they were going to do with the facade... Looks like they might keep the limestone, though not original? I am seriously digging the original windows...

 

Related image

 

I think the limestone is original.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

 

I think the limestone is original.

 

Not originial:

Quote

The Moderne Style building at 1114 Texas has also retained its original design and materials with the exception of the front windows and the first two floors, which were sheathed in the 1970s with plain white marble and a cantilevered steel entrance canopy. This change coincided with the installation of 130 telecommunications metal conduits and cabling installed through the front two floors

 

https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/16000574.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Avossos said:

 

To be clear, I am referring to the reddish material underneath the upper-floor windows (floors 3 and up). I don't know if it's limestone, but that's what I thought you were referring to.

 

I guess when you said limestone, you were perhaps referring to the white marble on the  the first two floors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

To be clear, I am referring to the reddish material underneath the upper-floor windows (floors 3 and up). I don't know if it's limestone, but that's what I thought you were referring to.

 

I guess when you said limestone, you were perhaps referring to the white marble on the  the first two floors?

 

yeah - I think the stone on the first 2 floors was the classic 60s / 70s cover up. I am anxious to see if they change / fix that or leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

To be clear, I am referring to the reddish material underneath the upper-floor windows (floors 3 and up). I don't know if it's limestone, but that's what I thought you were referring to.

 

I guess when you said limestone, you were perhaps referring to the white marble on the  the first two floors?

 

I would think the reddish stuff is terra cotta if it's stone. It looks like there may still be limestone on the side of the building on the lower floors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Avossos said:

 

yeah - I think the stone on the first 2 floors was the classic 60s / 70s cover up. I am anxious to see if they change / fix that or leave it.

 

I don't think most renovation developers play around with stone if they can help it. About the only places you see stone work anymore are rich houses and very expensive churches. Maybe as a lobby material in high rise buildings if there is no carving involved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

 

yeah - I think the stone on the first 2 floors was the classic 60s / 70s cover up. I am anxious to see if they change / fix that or leave it.

 

They cut windows into it (on both the 1st and 2nd floors), so it looks like they must be keeping it.

Edited by Houston19514

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

I don't think most renovation developers play around with stone if they can help it. About the only places you see stone work anymore are rich houses and very expensive churches. Maybe as a lobby material in high rise buildings if there is no carving involved.

 

 

True. They are getting tax credits for historic restoration though... It is safe to assume they have certain criteria to meet to accomplish this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

They are painting the brick...

 

Hz59ZU6.jpg

 

You sure they aren't just cleaning it? they could also be coating it with a sealant... 

 

hope it isn't being painted...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Avossos said:

 

You sure they aren't just cleaning it? they could also be coating it with a sealant... 

 

hope it isn't being painted...

Yeah, I would imagine they would probably lose those historical tax credits if they altered the color of the brick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

Yeah, I would imagine they would probably lose those historical tax credits if they altered the color of the brick.

It's clearly been painted. They're allowed to add a new coat if it sticks to the historical guidelines. It's not like you can't repaint if you own a historic structure... that would be ridiculous and the structure would likely erode quicker. That being said, if you do plan on adding a new coat of paint, you can as long as you get permission from the Historic Preservation committee first. They have specific paint guidelines and sources you can use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's paint, I saw the rollers.  Looks to match the original color pretty well, I don't have any opinion on it personally, apart from it looking cleaner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Is work active?

 

 

I haven't been paying attention to see if people are on site, but I know It's further along than the photos above.  I'll snap some updated photos when I walk the dog by there today or tomorrow.

 

Edit: I just noticed those photos are from last friday. It's about that far I guess. ;)  

Edited by jermh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, H-Town Man said:

Is work active?

 

 

Happened to be near this yesterday early evening.  There is definitely activity.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of work going on still. Last time I walked by they were accessing utilities under the street directly in front of it.  The awning is coming along, but you just can't see much of the interior at all. Really curious how the layout is going to work for the lobby and rooms without windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

Lots of work going on still. Last time I walked by they were accessing utilities under the street directly in front of it.  The awning is coming along, but you just can't see much of the interior at all. Really curious how the layout is going to work for the lobby and rooms without windows. 

 

There will be no hotel rooms without windows.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...