Something Old is New Again

Calling on all of you HAIFers to help me get this one going. Pictures would do it justice. But how many of us can remember looking out our window, or driving a certain commute, or playing in a certain area ......which had cows and horses!!?? And is now urbanized! My brief story. My sister's BR in SL put me through college. She purchased it in 1986. On very very slow cold winter days, I remember slowly cleaning the windows, for the third time, and staring across a four lane Hwy to look at pastures full of cows and horses. now, it's a 6 lane with median thoroughfare, and I stare at fast food establishments and a strip mall! Much more exciting. LoL. Care to share?

I remember when my brother and his family first moved to Fresno in 2001. To visit him, we'd take 288 to FM 2234 to cut over to FM 521 south to W. Sycamore or Trammel-Fresno. FM 2234 was surrounded by nothing but vacant land and was a two lane highway. Around 2003, Shadow Creek Ranch started development and the fields gave way to homes, strip malls, office buildings, apartments, schools, gas stations, and by 2007-08, FM 2234 needed widening and dumped its former McHard Rd. moniker east of FM 521 for the more suburban friendly name of Shadow Creek Parkway.  

Yes. Driving back from the Houston Museum of Natural Science, 290 near Fairfield was a divided four lane highway with open fields, the occasional intersection, and fast forward 10 years later, there's an outlet mall, HEB, full freeway, new restaurants, and the Grand Parkway stack.

YES! To the above. My brother just built his dream home in Fairfield. I hadn't been down that part of 290 in a decade. It was amazing. Once the 290 expansion is complete, I can only imagine the development all the way to Hockley. Speaking of 290, when my parents moved us to the country outside of Franklin, we still had a rent home which we would personally retrieve the payment monthly. I remember when the 290 fwy ended around Antoine! If you can believe. I remember getting excited when they made the four lane Hwy to a fwy past Hwy 6. What's so crazy is that I am only 45. This all happened within 20 years!

Archived