Proposed Multifamily: Kipling St. At Hudley St.

Dakota79

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Linen and uniform rental co. Alsco to build new Houston facility

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/07/18/alsco-new-facility.html

Salt Lake City-based Alsco Inc., a linen and uniform rental services company, plans to move out of its longtime facility in the Upper Kirby-Montrose area and open a new Houston processing facility.

The new 95,000-square-foot facility will employ 200 people and utilize technology that will reduce the company's impact on the environment. Such technology "includes a ceramic filtration system that promotes water savings and energy reduction by allowing the plant to reuse approximately 70% of its water," a press release states.

The release does not say where the facility will be located, but the Houston Chronicle reports it will be in the Almeda area. More details will be announced later this summer, per the release.

Alsco provides table linens, towels and apron cleaning services to restaurants as well as uniforms to health care facilities and industrial businesses such as automotive dealerships.

When it moves into its new facility, Alsco will close its 72-year-old location at 2030 Kipling St., and Cushman & Wakefield of Texas Inc. will market that 3.44-acre site for sale, per the release.

According to the Harris County Appraisal District, Alsco owns nine parcels at or in close proximity to 2030 Kipling, totaling nearly 3.45 acres and worth more than $13.86 million combined. Jeff Peden, a broker with Cushman & Wakefield, told the Chronicle he expects the property to sell for about $150 to $170 per square foot, or between $25 million and $28 million, thanks to its prime location.

HCAD lists Alsco as the owner of seven other parcels at five separate sites across Houston. Four of those sites are still open, per Alsco's website. The company closed its facility is at 3520 Center St. in early 2019, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act letter from late 2018. Earlier in 2018, the company renovated its facility at 8020 Blankenship Drive.

• Like 2

Did Admiral do any dry cleaning at this site, or was it strictly laundry? 
I ask because some former dry cleaning sites have had to deal with contaminated soil, the cleanup of which can be expensive.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Admiral Linen Behind Randall's On Shepherd
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Kipling Apartments - Kipling At Hudley St. By Allen Harrison
  • The title was changed to Kipling Apartments - Kipling St. At Hudley St.
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week when I went by this the garage door was open at 2828 McDuffie St. I talked with the owner and asked him if he sold it, he said he was approached but didn't sell. He said he was securing it after the fire in the building next to his. I told him what is proposed at the Alsco properties and he said he would get back with the broker/buyer and ask some more questions.

3a1rJFn.jpg

mZJwEyS.jpg

HGjCMxt.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Proposed Multifamily: Kipling St. At Hudley St.
  • 1 month later...

Demolition of the buildings on both blocks should be starting soon. All the buildings now have a construction fencing around them except for 1 building. I once talked with the owner who said he didn't sell but was exploring possibly selling it. H&M Plumbing is still on site doing plumbing demo. There were workers on site from the demolition company but didn't see what company it was.

muVZWhW.jpg

r5gjggq.jpg

zzzp3sm.jpg

xAJEKYD.jpg

JOzopzT.jpg

wCxnNt2.jpg

sjI9Dz4.jpg

This is the one building that supposedly wasn't part of the deal. I just can't see him not selling it. Maybe he wasn't offered enough and is holding out for more.

AAsCe1R.jpg

• Like 2

XZZeBux.jpg

This is the warehouse that the guy wouldn't sell.

6K58BGr.jpg

iJgMvYU.jpg

UkfGhK8.jpg

I think this lot and building was part of Alsco. I could see them using it for their construction offices.

u4ongxe.jpg

I spy a tower crane going up. Guess where I'm headed next.

cVrW1Yp.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4