Jump to content
Urbannizer

Latitude Med Center, 38-Story Residential Tower and Interconiental Hotel, 22-Story Hotel

Recommended Posts

This really spreads the med center skyline when you come from  west Holcombe, South Main or Fannin.

It may not be the tallest but it is going to create a very powerful presence with its two towers out on the SW end of TMC.

The massing is impressive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

A 900 footer at the Med center? When I worked there people used to say that the buiilding heights were limited by air traffic to Hobby. Should I just chalk this down to another urban myth? Never understood that reason after flying to and fro San Diego several times.

 

Regardless, I'm not sure why you would want medical towers more than 30 stories, especially in an area that has flooded historically and may require mass evacuation in the future. We're lucky the skyline is as high as it is.

 

Hotel is a less complicated problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice view of 609 Main in that last shot.  It's amazing how much more visible that is than BG Group Place despite only being a little taller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

 

Regardless, I'm not sure why you would want medical towers more than 30 stories, especially in an area that has flooded historically and may require mass evacuation in the future. We're lucky the skyline is as high as it is.

 

Hotel is a less complicated problem.

Then why build an entire medical center (regardless of height), next to a bayou? 

 

Why establish a city on a gulf?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like flooding is a reason to build tall buildings. A shot building would be under water

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2017 at 9:44 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Then why build an entire medical center (regardless of height), next to a bayou? 

 

Why establish a city on a gulf?

 

Seriously?

 

Why not take a look at the 100-year flood plain in 1945?  Hell, take a look at it in 2000 and take a look at it now and see how much it's changed.  In any case, it was situated there because Hermann Hospital was there and the Hermann Estate (or part of it) became the TMC.

 

As for building a city on a gulf, I'm not sure what you're talking about or implying with that sensationalism.

 

Probably the more productive question is what is the tallest hospital in the world?  I would have to think there are many logistical issues that, absent severe land constraints, makes it preferably to build shorter rather than taller hospitals.

 

But maybe I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

 

Seriously?

 

Why not take a look at the 100-year flood plain in 1945?  Hell, take a look at it in 2000 and take a look at it now and see how much it's changed.  In any case, it was situated there because Hermann Hospital was there and the Hermann Estate (or part of it) became the TMC.

 

As for building a city on a gulf, I'm not sure what you're talking about or implying with that sensationalism.

 

Probably the more productive question is what is the tallest hospital in the world?  I would have to think there are many logistical issues that, absent severe land constraints, makes it preferably to build shorter rather than taller hospitals.

 

But maybe I'm wrong.

 

Well turns out Google IS your friend... and we have the tallest hospital in the world and another 1 within the top 10.

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_hospitals

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

A 900 footer at the Med center? When I worked there people used to say that the buiilding heights were limited by air traffic to Hobby. Should I just chalk this down to another urban myth? Never understood that reason after flying to and fro San Diego several times.

 

This has been addressed elsewhere, but 12R/30L and 12L/30R point almost straight at downtown (the runway designations roughly correspond to rounded off compass headings).  12R is heavily used for landings from the north and takeoffs to the south because of the prevailing onshore flow; 30L (its reverse) could be used for departures into a northerly wind but generally isn't because of all the nearby houses (and we have 4 pointing northeast).  Downtown is right at the edge of the restriction cone; IIRC you could build a supertall on the old post office site without nicking into it.  In contrast, there are no runways that point toward the Med Center from Hobby.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mollusk. Next time I visit an old friend at the Med Center I am going to steer the conversation toward high rise buildings and then use the info you just provided. Make me sound more smart and worldly than I actually am. Of course I'll claim credit for the information. You don't mind do you?;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobby is using RNAV approaches now, which allow air traffic to follow curved approaches to 12R & 12L to avoid downtown.  That being said, the FAA can still make a big stink about anything being made along that straight line or the current RNAV trajectory.  I do wonder if it will be an issue for that high rise proposed for the museum district.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cloud713 said:

Has the Museum District Neighborhood Association(?) said anything further on plans for the development/abandoning Palm Street?

maybe they've abandoned their plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, cspwal said:

maybe they've abandoned their plans


Dont you say that! Haha.. admittedly that mixed use development seemed really ambitious, but it seems like the developers behind the project were serious about it, given their submission of the plat, trying to work with the neighborhood association to address any issues, requesting abandonment with the city, and what not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we hear something- that project was one of my favorites outside downtown 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you swing around 69 south around the museum area its amazing the cluster of 25 story buildings that have popped up.

Helping to bring TMC and downtown together with growth in the midtown neighborhood.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Is the residential tower still scheduled for 38 floors? If so looks like another 19 or 20 floors to go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped by the site yesterday and had a short discussion with one of the contractors. The Main street tower is about to top out and the back side tower is on the 25th floor leaving 13 to go. This is going to be such a dynamic presence on the southwestern fringe of the TMC. 

Cant wait to see it once its all done.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bobruss said:

Stopped by the site yesterday and had a short discussion with one of the contractors. The Main street tower is about to top out and the back side tower is on the 25th floor leaving 13 to go. This is going to be such a dynamic presence on the southwestern fringe of the TMC. 

Cant wait to see it once its all done.

Will the hotel and condos share the pool?

Edited by brian0123
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't ask about that. I was just curious to find out if it was still going to be 38 floors, and what floor they were currently on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, hindesky said:

North side.

 

BdcYhSH.jpg

 

 

 

One thing that strikes me about this is the large blank wall along the northern face of the hotel, visible in Hindesky's photo above.  It sure seems to lend some credence to a future project on the BW hotel site (well, former BW).  I can't find any renderings from the north side to figure out what this side will look like upon completion

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OkieEric said:

 

One thing that strikes me about this is the large blank wall along the northern face of the hotel, visible in Hindesky's photo above.  It sure seems to lend some credence to a future project on the BW hotel site (well, former BW).  I can't find any renderings from the north side to figure out what this side will look like upon completion

This would confirm what I was told on my first visit to the site. It was just prior to excavation and the contractor suggested then that  there was a possible 66 story tower going up on the adjoining property just to the north.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobruss said:

This would confirm what I was told on my first visit to the site. It was just prior to excavation and the contractor suggested then that  there was a possible 66 story tower going up on the adjoining property just to the north.

 

That would by far be the tallest tower in the area right? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 66-story tower would rival any building downtown and Williams. By floor count it would be the third tallest in Houston.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this development and the fact that its mixed use and two towers all on the same podium makes it much interesting.

Mark my word this is really going to alter the southern and southwestern views of the med center. Its massive in scale. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, wxman said:

A 66-story tower would rival any building downtown and Williams. By floor count it would be the third tallest in Houston.

 

This would be pretty awesome!  The TMC skyline rivals that of many small cities in the USA!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Wikipedia , Uptown Houston  is the 17th largest which they claim is similar in office space to Denver or Pittsburg. I suppose they do not count residential in all these estimates.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those two rankings are measuring different things.  The ranking referenced in the TMC website is apparently based on the acreage of the district.  The Uptown Houston rankings are based on office space square footage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Those two rankings are measuring different things.  The ranking referenced in the TMC website is apparently based on the acreage of the district.  The Uptown Houston rankings are based on office space square footage.

 

The second being relevant, the first being meaningless schtick.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an opportunity to play with an Oculus last night and one of the first things I did after I figured out how to use the joy sticks was to tour Houston on Google earth. It was amazing first to watch the buildings start popping up out of the ground all around me and to fly through the different parts of town.

The med center was amazing along with the galleria uptown and obviously downtown. At one point I was trying to tilt and rotate and found myself getting a little queasy. It was an incredible experience and when I zoomed out eventually I was observing the earth in the Universe as if I was floating out in space, and I was standing ion the middle of it with stars, planets, and the milky way, all around me 360. What an incredible device. The drawing in three dimensions and the ability to grab the object and rotate it and render is fascinating. But I loved seeing the city in 3D that way. What a tool for working out spatial issues in urban planning. I was blown away.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...