Temenos Place Phase II: Affordable Housing At 2200 Jefferson St.

Howard Huge

• 3 months later...

This is surprisingly really nice for a poverty/homeless shelter.  :blink:

Project Description – Temenos Place Apartments II
Temenos Place Apartments II is a property with a bright future and the potential to change lives. Located in the near Midtown area of Houston, TX, the property is primed for social redevelopment. Upon completion, the Temenos Place Apartments II project will provide more than 80 critically needed housing units for the homeless and extremely low-income community. In addition, it will serve as a direct line of permanent affordable housing for persons currently residing at the “After Dark Program” who are deemed housing ready. These individuals as well as other prospective residents will have the unique opportunity to access employment training within the culinary and food service industry.

Temenos Place Apartments II is a joint project of the Temenos Community Development Corporation and the Bread of Life, Inc. They have linked their common passion, purpose and expertise to make a profound difference in the lives of the less fortunate.

Source: http://www.temenoscdc.org/temenos-phase-2/

14572130108_24e152d100_z.jpg

14758762545_a4ee4b27e0_h.jpg

14572104099_1a557eb3a9_h.jpg

Taken by me today

14572112249_0e42430c6c_h.jpg2014-07-27 11.24.01 by marclongoria, on Flickr

• Like 4

Ah crap... I forgot to check the East End forum. Please move this there.  :blush:

Edit: Or maybe we should move that thread here! It's a big going up project for the East side.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

Ah crap... I forgot to check the East End forum. Please move this there.  :blush:

Edit: Or maybe we should move that thread here! It's a big going up project for the East side.

There is already a thread here:  http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30066-temenos-place-apartments-ii-2200-jefferson-under-construction/

My picture from today looks like the same one in your post - we must have almost ran in to each other !!

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

There is already a thread here:  http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30066-temenos-place-apartments-ii-2200-jefferson-under-construction/

My picture from today looks like the same one in your post - we must have almost ran in to each other !!

Yeaaa I know. I searched this forum and found nothing. I kept telling myself, there's no way this project hasn't been posted yet. So of course as soon as I post this thread, I remember the East End forum and see the topic at the very top.  :P

Small world!

• 1 year later...

Any photo updates of this one?

I just rode by, but didn't get a pic - I will shortly....

It looks like they are finishing up the exterior - getting ready to landscape.  They are the strangest looking apartments I have ever seen - if there wasn't a sign saying they were apartments, I wouldn't guess that is what they are...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/houston-dignitaries-to-attend-grand-opening-of-97m-apartment-complex-300186177.html

HOUSTONDec. 1, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas (FHLB Dallas), Amegy Bank, U.S. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-18), and Houston Mayor Annise Parker will join Temenos Community Development Corporation (Temenos CDC) for the grand opening of the Temenos Place Apartments II. The event will take place at 11:00 a.m.,Thursday, December 3, 2015, at 2200 Jefferson Street in Houston, Texas.
  • Like 1

Curious about the origin of the name "Temenos." Surname? Street name? Wikipedia doesn't offer many clues, except perhaps this:

Temenos (Greekτέμενος; plural: τεμένηtemene)[1] is a piece of land cut off and assigned as an official domain, especially to kings and chiefs, or a piece of land marked off from common uses and dedicated to a god, a sanctuary, holy grove or holy precinct

C. G. Jung relates the temenos to the spellbinding or magic circle, which acts as a 'square space' or 'safe spot' where mental 'work' can take place. This temenos resembles among others a 'symmetrical rose garden with a fountain in the middle' (the 'squared circle') in which an encounter with the unconscious can be had and where these unconscious contents can safely be brought into the light of consciousness.

Any holy groves or rose gardens in the renderings?  :blink:

Edited by The Ozone Files

Interesting that you ask. I hope it doesn't derive from "temenos" in spanish, which means "fear us", or "be fearful of us". Maybe they assume that most will fear the population of "aggressive homeless panhandlers" that will live there.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Temenos Place Phase II: 4-Story Affordable Housing At 2200 Jefferson St.
  • The title was changed to Temenos Place Phase II: Affordable Housing At 2200 Jefferson St.