Scandinavian Airlines

wxman

Can you guys attach the name of the airline or airport next to the call letters. I have no idea what they are. Thanks! :)

The forum software has a function for just this kind of thing.

When posting, click the third icon, which looks kind of like a blue window.  From the drop-down, select "Acronym" and fill in the blanks.  The result is something like this:

"I wish B6 would fly into HHH"

Then civilians can mouseover the term with the dashed underline and find out what it means.

Works for all kinds of nerd talk, and lets everyone in on the discussion.

"When I was a kid, I piggybacked a pair of SIDs to make my Commodore 64 play music in stereo"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall that Houston did have nonstop flights to Taiwan in the past.  I don't recall if it was EVA, but I kinda doubt it.

Later, I had occasion to visit there and took the nonstop from LA to Taipei.  I ponied up the extra to fly in their business class, but it was a disappointment.  There was an 8-hour (or so) gap during which the flight attendants all disappeared.  Being someone who can't sleep on planes, I spent several hours feeling hungry until they served a small meal just before landing.  I've never experienced that on any other airline while flying biz class.

It wasn't non-stop but China Airlines served IAH with a stop in Seattle. It was a flop because of the flight times and the stop in SeaTac. Most folks in IAH aren't going to be flying to Taipei but points beyond so the one-stop was pointless.

LAN and TAM merged goon head.  They are called LANTAN.  Make a decision of your carrier.  I love Untied Airlines because I'm a 1K and get everthihg

sorry TAM

TAM sucks anyway.

Well done.  I toast your eagerness to share your knowledge of the airline industry.  ;-)

FWIW,  It is Latam, not Lantan and that is the name of the holding company, Latam Airlines Group. 

Lan and Tam still operate as separate airlines, using their own brands and identities.

So what is Latam?  Is it the combined airline of Brazil and Argentina?

Wouldn't mind having flights to Rio/Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires on someone other than United (assuming they fly at all down that far?)

LATAM Airlines Group is the company created after the merger between LAN Airlines and TAM Airlines. Its more of a holding company (like Air France/KLM).

And yes, United flies to both Rio and Sao Paulo from IAH.

So what is Latam?  Is it the combined airline of Brazil and Argentina?

Wouldn't mind having flights to Rio/Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires on someone other than United (assuming they fly at all down that far?)

Don't be expecting a worthwhile answer from nativehoustonian (I'm sure you weren't as he's made it quite clear he doesn't know what he's talking about).

Latam is just an airline holding company.  It owns LAN and TAM, which are still operating as separate airlines serving different markets with a separate set of aircraft, each with their own livery.

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks for the information.

Like BA/Iberia and KLM/Air France.

So my hope is still for a South African 1-2 times per week flight or I guess (rolls eyes) one of the A380s from Etihad every one else is clamoring after.

Every single aviation-related thread turns into Onion talking about how United can do no wrong, what planes they have ordered, and insulting everyone who flies another airline or doesn't fly first class. It's pretty hilarious how predictable his responses are. On topic, this is a cool service that definitely is one of those only-in-Houston things. I can't believe how excited I get for a route that there is literally 0% chance that I will EVER fly (and probably 99.9% of other people in Houston as well). Still, it'll be fun to see a Scandinavian Airlines plane at Terminal D in the evenings.

I wish, Slick Vik has it invitation only. Nice flight to DEN on the 787. :P. This Houston19514 flies Spirit he has rude insults.

So far half my flights have been upgraded this year but the service really isn't much better besides a special phone number.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the information.

Like BA/Iberia and KLM/Air France.

So my hope is still for a South African 1-2 times per week flight or I guess (rolls eyes) one of the A380s from Etihad every one else is clamoring after.

Etihad is acquiring airlines left and right so its connectivity will be really good in the near future.

Have you ever flown on TAM? I have. It's an excellent airline. Their domestic service within Brazil blows any US-based carrier's domestic service out of the water.

Back on subject, does anyone know why Privatair stopped flying between AMS and IAH? I know a few people who flew that service back in the day and it seemed to be universally loved because of the ease of boarding and the later departure time out of IAH.

The PrivatAir flight was a KLM scheduled charter. From the Several crew member that I knew, I was told that KLM cancelled the service. The planes went into the Germany/India line. My friends we very sad to pull out of Houston. Most really liked laying over here.

• 1 month later...

It is great to see SAS coming to IAH from Stavanger (SVG).  But a 737-700 for a 10:40 minute flight! I now it is business class only for base fare $4,000 roundtrip is a small plane.  Hope it works, I would at least fly a 757-200 across the Atlantic.  Most of Southwest please are 737-700.  SAS flight weight should be less since they have 44 business class seats.

Archived