Scandinavian Airlines

wxman

Houston welcomes new Non-Stop service from Houston to Norway beginning August 20th! We're only the 5th US city that offers direct service!!

http://www.chron.com/news/article/New-nonstop-flight-to-Norway-coming-to-Houston-s-5363384.php?cmpid=hpbn

Scandinavian Airlines announced Monday it will add a nonstop air service between Houston and Norway.

The flight between Bush Intercontinental Airport and Stavanger, Norway will launch Aug. 20, according to the Houston Airport System.

Airport officials said the new route was in direct response to requests from leading players in the oil and gas industry requesting better connections between Norway and Houston.

"Houston enjoys a well-deserved reputation as the 'energy capital of the world,'" said Mayor Annise Parker in statement. "The arrival of Scandinavian Airlines to Houston will allow us to strengthen that role even more moving forward."

The flight will depart from Houston daily except Saturday at 9:35 a.m. arriving the next day at 2:20 p.m. Departures from Stavanger will be daily except Saturday at 4 p.m. arriving in Houston at 7:40 p.m. same day.

The airline now operates nonstop service between New York City, Chicago, Washington D.C. and San Francisco to locations in Norway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks Like this may be a Business Class only Flight.  Maybe a Charter with PrivateAir or some other Business Class Server.  KLM used to do this to Houston from Amsterdam using PrivateAir planes.  Narrow body.  Long Range 737's I think.

The SAS website says "only 44 Business Class seats."  Booking begins April 29th. 

Looks Like this may be a Business Class only Flight.  Maybe a Charter with PrivateAir or some other Business Class Server.  KLM used to do this to Houston from Amsterdam using PrivateAir planes.  Narrow body.  Long Range 737's I think.

The SAS website says "only 44 Business Class seats."  Booking begins April 29th. 

Very interesting. I thought it was strange that they didn't mention the type of equipment that would be used for this flight. Guess it makes sense. When I think of Europe, Vikings with metal braziers and horned helments normally don't come to mind. Either way, good for IAH!

Doing a bit of very quick wikipedia research, Stavanger is an area of only 300,000 people and they have a very small, regional airport that offers very limited service abroad. All international flights out of that airport are considered chartered. So I wouldn't expect wide bodies to be servicing IAH. This might even be a Terminal A departure, yes?

I don't think a normally equipped 737 has that that kind of range.  But, I think PrivatAir's ( privatair.com ) planes are specially equipped and carry few people / lower payload.  Right now they do flights for Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Pune, India which is 4,149nm.  Mind you, this PrivatAir theory is just that.  Maybe SAS has some similarly equipped equipment.   

Good point(s).  A 44-60 seat 737 has room for extra fuel capacity I'd guess?  Less luggage room, but more fuel storage.

I knew Stavanger wasn't that big... perhpas this will eventually expand to a weekly flight?  Who knows?

Hopefully the plane will at least be marked and not just a BBJ with country markings?  I'd love to show that off if possible.

Besides the article was quite open to point out that the flight would make Houston one of the other 5 destinations aside from EWR, SFO, ORD and DIA.

Just uncovered this from Airlines.net.  It's quoting a press release from SAS. 

QTE:

SAS launches services between Stavanger and Houston
MON, MAR 31, 2014 12:30 CET

SAS is launching services between Stavanger and Houston on August 20. This fulfils the wishes of leading players in the oil industry for better connections between Norway, and the rest of Scandinavia, and Houston, Texas.

“The route we have established is a tailored product for a defined market with particular travel needs,” says Rickard Gustafson, President and CEO of SAS.

The route will be operated by a business version of the Boeing 737-700 and will have an SAS Long Haul Business Class concept on board, with just 44 comfortable business seats, along with a modern inflight entertainment system and full-service meals and service.

“The favorable timetable provides excellent connections throughout Scandinavia in both directions, while Houston is a hub for places to the south and west such as Mexico, Los Angeles, Dallas and Phoenix with the Star Alliance,” says Rickard Gustafson.

SAS has entered into a “wet lease” agreement with the company PrivatAir, which has this special version of the Boeing 737-700. The aircraft will carry SAS’s distinctive colors and logo.

UNQTE

This is probably what will be flown:

http://privatair.com/aircraft/boeing-737-700-44c

Looks nice.  I do shudder at the thought of a 12 or so hour flight with 737 lavatories.  Maybe they're larger than normal?  Not that 767 or A340 lavatories are huge, but probably average out to be a little larger on average.  That and I wonder how the "galley" works on a small plane with that many passengers?

Yeah.  It'd be a little tight.  It's tough for the Flight Crew too.  I know a quite a few. 

But...it does appear that the bird with carry the SAS Livery...which is really all most people here want.  That, and bragging rights against DFW. 

Unfortunately, the plane will only be here between 7:40p-9:35p.  So, it won't see much light of day. 

Yep, and the second daily United flight from IAH to NRT launched yesterday, ACY starts tomorrow and MUC starts on the 24th, UA sure is giving IAH its due!

Korean Air starts in a month and 3 days too. And, there are others rumored to be coming in, another deal is close to happening, so I wonder who that one might be!

Yep, and the second daily United flight from IAH to NRT launched yesterday, ACY starts tomorrow and MUC starts on the 24th, UA sure is giving IAH its due!

Korean Air starts in a month and 3 days too. And, there are others rumored to be coming in, another deal is close to happening, so I wonder who that one might be!

Spill the beans! Who Who Who??  :D

US Airways is almost gone from Star Alliance today!  Thank GOD!  The worst carrier I have every been on and they are going to run American Airlines. Hehe they have have Shares computer system and AA has Sabre.  Cannot wait till they switch to Sabre.  Make sure you do not fly that day.  

EVA would be great from IAH you could be right.

Oooo.  Having a sexy Eva/Hello Kitty Heavy at IAH would be...entertaining.

attachicon.gif777-hello-kitty-jets-22_tcm35-19893.jpg

Glad someone likes it.

Wonder what the need/want for an EVA airlines connection is?  Is there enough traffic to-from Taiwan to Houston to have that airlines start service here?  I suppose the Star Alliance connection makes sense to them, and Houston has room to grow plus the internation business culture/clout to draw airlines like EVA here.

Archived