s3mh

Pappas Warehouse on Yale St. being Replaced by Heights Mercantile

Any update on what might happen here?

Lots of very good things. Parking has been resolved by acquiring additional parking. By my knowledge absolutely nothing has "been scaled back." Look for an awesome mix of very familiar and very new retail concepts.

• Like 2

Lots of very good things. Parking has been resolved by acquiring additional parking. By my knowledge absolutely nothing has "been scaled back." Look for an awesome mix of very familiar and very new retail concepts.

Swtsig is excited. If he is excited, I am excited! Haha

Are they still planning to have restaurants?  I think that will be a big problem.  This development would have been really great north of 2200 on Yale!  Not so great near residences in the dry area.  Neighbors will vociferously object to turning Heights Blvd to turn into Montrose.

Any restaurant that leases from theme will be really upset when

1) they realize they need a private club license and

2) when the neighbors show up to protest that license and

3) the developers are then asked about the sentiments of the neighbors and it turns out they knew all along the project was unwelcome! 

These are just my thoughts, but I see that Revival location became a restaurant and it speaks volumes.   I have heard awful reviews from people who actually live in the neighborhood.  It is not family friendly.   And a number of people are protesting the liquor license and they have not even filed for it yet, just posted a sign.

Still, this would have been a great location for the yoga/juice bar place already planned on White Oak near Oxford.  Not a fan of "Little Austin" but still...

Might want to think about how winning the battles against this development maybe affecting the war.  I would presume that they have purchased the Golden Eagle property on Heights Blvd for additional parking as it is the only property on the market within the maximum distance for additional parking.  So, by scuttling the parking variance on the grounds of protecting Heights Blvd, concerned residents will get the same development, but with a big parking lot on Heights Blvd. instead of residential redevelopment on the same spot.  Oops. 

Telling TABC that the drunks are gonna eat your babies may also not be the best idea.  Any restaurant that gets a private club license denied will just go BYOB.  Just Dinner has been BYOB for years and is very successful.  And I used to like to go to La Vista when I used to live out near the Galleria, but actually found that too many people were just using the food as an excuse to get pretty boozed up on the cheap.  People can afford to drink a lot more booze when they are paying Spec's prices instead of the big restaurant mark up.  Then, if the restaurants cannot make it without the private club permit, the restaurants that can make money without selling alcohol are the fast food franchises.  Can't wait for Raising Cane's to set up shop.

I have been to Revival for breakfast, lunch and dinner since they went to table service.  Definitely working out the kinks in the table service, but there has been a lot of improvement each time I have been.  Typical soft opening issues.  I liked the counter service, but understand the need for table service and extending into dinner.  @700 units of apartments are going in down the street.  I am sure Revival is on a 5 year lease and will get walloped when their renewal comes up in light of the change in the neighborhood.  This may be the only option for survival for Revival (see what I did there?).  I will say the dinner menu is exceptional.  I have kids who love Revival for breakfast and lunch.  I will gladly get a sitter and have dinner there without the kids.  Not every restaurant in the Heights has to serve a five dollar bowl of mac and cheese to get my business.

• Like 3

Are they still planning to have restaurants?  I think that will be a big problem.  This development would have been really great north of 2200 on Yale!  Not so great near residences in the dry area.  Neighbors will vociferously object to turning Heights Blvd to turn into Montrose.

I know some people find it hard to believe, but there ARE actually residences north of 20th St. Arguably, there are more single family residences within a block of 23rd and Yale than within a block of 7th and Yale.

• Like 1

I think someone failed to consider the fact that Revival's supposed lack of "family-friendliness" might be a feature, not a bug. At least until bearded, craft-obsessed locavores start spawning in greater numbers. 

• Like 1

When did Revival become not family friendly? I eat there multiple times a week and the place always has plenty of families, especially on the weekend. My son (who is 3) and I have breakfast there every Saturday morning and if our daughter who is 1 seems to be in the mood to eat out my wife and her come as well.

Sign is up on the 700 block of Heights Blvd for the development. I believe that they have acquired all the property from the bike path up through the old Golden Eagle bindery on the west side of Heights Blvd. Very exciting to see this development get moving finally.

• Like 4

They got plans approved with HAHC for the bungalow by the bike path on Heights Blvd.  The bungalow will not be modified much, but there will be an additional modern building built in the back with a patio between the two buildings.  They demoed the Golden Eagle building to make way for a parking lot.  I have heard that the utility connections to the warehouse have been cut off in anticipation of a demo.  Definitely some signs of life, but I would expect a lot more activity soon.

• Like 1

So we get an extra surface parking lot on Heights Blvd. Thank you, parking nazis, and the Planning Commission that enables them.

• Like 3

Maybe I've been downtown too long, but that loks like a lot of parking versus how much space the buildings take up.  I mean each parking lot is at least the size of it's associated building if not bigger.

Maybe I've been downtown too long, but that loks like a lot of parking versus how much space the buildings take up.  I mean each parking lot is at least the size of it's associated building if not bigger.

This is why parking minimums are terrible.

Regarding this project, remember that they don't get credit for the street spaces on 7th, as these are considered public spaces, and not exclusively for the use of this development. (They asked, neighbors complained, CoH denied.)

This kind of development is required to have at least 4 spaces per 1000 s.f. (depending on how much space is dedicated to restaurants). Depending on layout, 4 spaces takes up about 1000 s.f. 

There are minimal off-street spaces on the south side of 7th St, so the parking required for the square footage of buildings 1 & 2 has to be provided by the lots north of 7th St. Also, I think Bldg 4 is two stories, so it requires more parking than its footprint would indicate.

End result: 175-ft of Heights Blvd frontage will become surface parking lots.

I am not surprised by the lack of progress.  There are better priced and more easily TABC licensed areas in other parts of the Heights.  Why bother with the hassle?

It is interesting that the new rendition on the website does not reflect the new intersection island planned at 7th and Yale to allow a safer pedestrian crossing.  The new configuration removes several parking spaces that are depicted.

Curious that the developer did not opt to orient the parking to the rear.  I guess keeping the historic buildings which then allows him to utilize decreased and grandfathered parking minimums was a bigger priority. 

Also, that looks like a nice dumpster placement right behind residences with no trees or extra high wall to block it.  In my opinion, the developer is insensitive to the neighborhood at best.

Finally, it is interesting that the developer refers to a "White Oak district" of restaurants when it clearly apparent that planning a restaurant west of Oxford and east of Yale is doomed due to TABC licensing restrictions in that area (no dinner service at Revival, Gelazzi cannot serve pizza, and Happy Fatz is on the verge of closing their meal service because a home is being built on what was their parking lot).

I am not surprised by the lack of progress.  There are better priced and more easily TABC licensed areas in other parts of the Heights.  Why bother with the hassle?

Because about 750 multifamily units are going up across the street and this is a central location in the Heights with easy highway access for everyone else.

It is interesting that the new rendition on the website does not reflect the new intersection island planned at 7th and Yale to allow a safer pedestrian crossing.  The new configuration removes several parking spaces that are depicted.

The spaces on 7th do not count towards their parking minimums.  They had to put a big parking lot right on Heights Blvd to meet their parking minimums.  It should be forever known as the "HeightsPeep" parking lot because of the noise you and your neighbors made to block the parking variance.  Thanks for that.

Curious that the developer did not opt to orient the parking to the rear.  I guess keeping the historic buildings which then allows him to utilize decreased and grandfathered parking minimums was a bigger priority. 

Did you look at the rendering?  The parking is oriented to the rear on Yale.  Would you prefer that the developer demo the two bungalows and put in a strip mall?  Is that you Mr. Ainbinder?

Also, that looks like a nice dumpster placement right behind residences with no trees or extra high wall to block it.  In my opinion, the developer is insensitive to the neighborhood at best.

The rendering clearly shows landscaping around the dumpsters.  And have you seen what is there right now?  Do you want it to remain an industrial facility?  It is just about the right size for a PVC extruder plant.  Maybe the plans will fall through and the neighbors can smell cooking PVC all day instead of pomme frites and salmon.

Finally, it is interesting that the developer refers to a "White Oak district" of restaurants when it clearly apparent that planning a restaurant west of Oxford and east of Yale is doomed due to TABC licensing restrictions in that area (no dinner service at Revival, Gelazzi cannot serve pizza, and Happy Fatz is on the verge of closing their meal service because a home is being built on what was their parking lot).

Are you actually relishing shutting down Happy Fatz?  (the lot next door was not their parking).  Happy Fatz opened in the Heights long before anyone would even think about it.  They are a Heights original and it would be a huge loss if they closed. 

TABC is not going to be able to deny club licenses to restaurants planned for Yale and 7th when they gave Dry Creek a club license.  That goes beyond their administrative discretion to be a constitutional violation of due process.  TABC is also catching on that residents in the Heights are using opposition to club licenses as a pretext to limit development.  8 Row Flint got their license despite gripes from neighbors. 

This development is going to happen.  It is going to be a huge success and an asset for the neighborhood.  The only thing noisy neighbors have accomplished is getting a parking lot on Heights Blvd. 

• Like 4

I live very close to this development and I am excited.  In fact, most of my neighbors are excited as well.

There will always be a few folks that won't ever be happy...

try harder...

disgusting. 

• Like 2

Ahhhhhh......I get it.....a troll? You can't be for real. 

• Like 1

...and no one goes to Coltivare anymore because the lines are too long.

• Like 3

i've actually offered the developer a great deal of money to place the dumpster directly in your living room. fingers crossed!

• Like 1

No way that's a troll. That guy is 100% serious, no troll would go dig up those arguments thats the kind of things people dig up to "shut down the enemy" when the enemy is identified.  It reads like an sm3h vs ainbender post.

Any updates on Ancorian's Heights Mercantile on Yale St and 7th?

From Ancorian's website:
Heights Mercantile is a 38,000 SF mixed us development on a 2 acre site in the heart of the Houston Heights. The project spans the north and south sides of 7th Street between Heights Boulevard and Yale and sets the standard for urban retail in Houston.

They did reconfigure the bike path crossing which could indicate some impending construction work. The path now crosses slightly south of the lot for Mercantile.

• Like 1

The work on the hike and bike path is being done to install a "Toucan" signal at the Yale St. crossing.  Residents lobbied for a protected crossing at that intersection because it is crazy dangerous, especially if you have kids.  The City resisted doing anything based on their arbitrary traffic count standards and the fact that no one has been hit (seriously, the City was just about saying that someone had to get hit before they felt obligated to install any sort of protected crossing for pedestrians).  Finally, the City gave in and agreed to install a Toucan signal at 7th and Yale.  Trammell Crow agreed to pay for it. 

Thanks to the brilliant traffic engineering standards set by the geniuses in Austin, the crossing at Yale for the hike and bike path actually makes pedestrians and cyclists all cross in the middle of 7th st and then wait in the median for the light to change before crossing 7th to resume traveling east bound on the hike and bike path.  For some reason, this is the only way you can have a "Toucan" signal (i.e. two can cross-bikes and pedestrians) is if the crossing is in the median of the intersection.  I assume that the logic behind it is that it allows people to cross without having to worry about getting hit by cars making a right turn on Yale from 7th.  But this just shows the incredible extent to which planners are pro car/anti pedestrian-bike.  They should just keep the crossing where it is and make all traffic stop, including 7th st., when the crossing is illuminated. 

This all was planned long before Heights Mercantile came on the scene and the new apartments were more of an impetus to get this done.  I did see a green tag for sewer disconnect on the old Pappas warehouse and saw some workers in back the other day.  Cannot wait for that warehouse to come down.

• Like 4

Heights Mercantile submitted a permit for use and occupancy of public street right-of-way at 645 Heights Blvd with the city of Houston last week:

From the permit:

“Encroachment,” description and dimensions:
Roof overhang
Total volume: 379 cubic feet

“Street” (public street right(s)-of-way occupied by Encroachment):
Heights Boulevard between W. 6th Street and W. 7th Street
W. 7th Street between Yale Street and Heights Boulevard

“Plans” (Encroachment drawing identification or map approval number):
That certain drawing approved by the City and attached hereto as Exhibit “A” and
incorporated herein by this reference.
http://www.newocr.com/

Ptncncr.jpg

11 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Heights Mercantile submitted a permit for use and occupancy of public street right-of-way at 645 Heights Blvd with the city of Houston last week:

If it's for an overhang over the sidewalk that would provide shade from the sun and protection from rain then I say, "Yes". 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, innerloop said:

If it's for an overhang over the sidewalk that would provide shade from the sun and protection from rain then I say, "Yes". 

That's what I'm thinking too and hope for.

I saw this in my Facebook feed:

cloud10 creamery will churn out decadent frozen treats in The Heights soon. Balcor Hospitality submitted plans to the city for their second location expected to open at future Heights Mercantile

From In the Know Houston on Facebook

Is this accurate? I didn't see an article about it on CultureMap and Houston Chronicle.

Have there been updates on the parking for this?

• Like 1

Cloud10 would be a great addition.

W/r/t parking, they appear to have acquired some additional land (the former Golden Eagle buildings) immediately north of the two bungalows on Heights Blvd, which will be converted to surface parking lots.

Site plan is here.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 4:23 PM, Angostura said:

Cloud10 would be a great addition.

W/r/t parking, they appear to have acquired some additional land (the former Golden Eagle buildings) immediately north of the two bungalows on Heights Blvd, which will be converted to surface parking lots.

Site plan is here.

I see.

Is the fencing up new around this site? I don't remember it just a few days ago riding my bike.

• Like 1

Installed yesterday, including the bungalows on Heights.

20160711_123547 lores.jpg

Edited by Visitor

On 6/8/2016 at 10:26 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw this in my Facebook feed:

From In the Know Houston on Facebook

cloud10 creamery will churn out decadent frozen treats in The Heights soon. Balcor Hospitality submitted plans to the city for their second location expected to open at future Heights Mercantile

Is this accurate? I didn't see an article about it on CultureMap and Houston Chronicle.

Have there been updates on the parking for this?

Also Melange Creperie is opening in Heights Mercantile with Cloud 10 Creamery:

Melange Creperie, the much-loved crepe stand owned by Sean Carroll and Tish Ochoa, will at long last find a permanent brick and mortar home in the new year. They'll be moving into the intriguing Heights Mercantile "urban market" development bounded by Heights Boulevard, Yale and 7th Street.

The 1,400-square-foot Melange project is part of a section of re-purposed 1930s bungalows, and it will include a large patio, green space and a small private events room. The Heights Mercantile architect is Austin's Michael Hsu, whose designs for such Houston restaurants as Uchi, Oporto and Hunky Dory make him a respected figure here. Tish Ochoa's Clover Designs will do the interiors.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Melange-Creperie-sets-plans-to-open-Heights-brick-9231852.php

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Not sure what will come, but I know the food establishments will NOT have alcohol since it is in the dry part of the Heights and in a residential area.  No one wants their family to live right near a late night drinking crowd.  Any TABC attempt will be cost prohibitive expensive and likely fizzle like Gelazzi.