Architectural Digest Names Houston Coolest City (via Culturemap)

But I could have told you that..

the renowned design magazine, has dubbed Houston, "The Coolest Town in Texas." The proclamation comes in its new April issue and it's part of a fawning profile of the city.

"When did Houston," the article begins, "become one of the most exciting places in America?"

Houstonians are already well-aware of the countless destinations that make the city so special, but clearly, many people are still out of the Loop. That tired cowboy stereotype is making way for talk of Houston's foodies, gallerists and fashionistas. 

Among those interviewed are some of the city's notables, including Museum of Fine Arts, Houston director Gary Tinterow, Underbelly chef Chris Shepherd and socialite Becca Cason Thrash.

The article highlights a number of oft-touted restaurants, including Oxheart,The Pass & ProvisionsBrasserie 19, Underbelly, Liberty Kitchen & Oysteretteand Da Marc. It also references Bobby Heugel's "sophisticated" downtown tequila bar The Pastry War.

The design magazine mentions Houston's vibrant art scene, featuring fine art havens such as The Menil CollectionRothko ChapelContemporary Arts Museum HoustonMoody GalleryMcClain Galleryand Parkerson Gallery.

The story is here on CultureMap.  I couldn't find a link yet at Architectural Digest

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-26-14-international-magazine-names-houston-the-coolest-town-in-texas-was-there-ever-really-any-doubt/

"When did Houston," the article begins, "become one of the most exciting places in America?"

This may slow down the stream of complaints on this forum about everything that's wrong with Houston...for a minute or so...but I doubt it.

Archived