Stowers Building To Become An Aloft Hotel At 820 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd say the bottom one is the only one that is close to real... but notice the clear blue skies in the first few... the water simulation for the pool is off, looks like clear mercury... and there is no real shadow cast the way light actually acts in real life... just too perfect... we do this a lot at my job... its still nice though

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in Tulsa last week, and I used to occasion to book a room in the Aloft hotel they have there.  It was similarly a repurposing of an old building, in that case some sort of modernist office building in the midst of their civil government complex (surrounded by a convention center, courthouse, govt offices, etc).  It was fantastic from a customer experience perspective.  It really made me even more excited that this is the brand taking over this building - this hotel is going to be a hit and a really cool addition to the neighborhood.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice project. Anytime an old building gets repurposed in Houston is a good project. I also like seeing those wonderful gardens on top of BG garage.

Would someone take some shots of the gardens  and post them. Thanks 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill is 82% finished with the renovation of the Stowers building (seen below), but recently got a call from Parks Services saying the project was in danger of losing its tax credits because they didn't like the pipes and sprinklers the city made them put in for fire code. The hotel lost some rooms trying to work around the problem and remain historic.  

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/hotel/bill-franks-is-proving-houston-is-serious-about-preservation-61229?rt=19126?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ @rechlin the pool or "splash" as ALOFT likes to refer to it... looks extremely tiny.  are they sure about this.... WOW?

You can swim laps without even using strokes, but you had better be good at turns.

If I worked in BG Place, I'd get a room on my day off just to sit out there taunting my co-workers.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1