Stowers Building To Become An Aloft Hotel At 820 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

Walked by there today, they were taking the doors off the Fannin facing side and so it was open to see in to the street level. It was otherwise gutted, but there are escalators right in the middle of the first floor. I wish I could have taken a picture.

• Like 2

96-01-149%20hard%20hat-gloves.png

nate99, along with your incredible persistence and masterful work, please think SAFETY FIRST no matter what!

thank you for another wonderful contribution.....

I was walking by on the sidewalk shooting through an open door; my additional safety risk was negligible.

• Like 1

I was in New Orleans this past weekend, and I was thoroughly impressed with how they save all their old architecture while still building new buildings alongside. We can't continue to destroy the history of this city to save money. Not only do we fail to remember how we have grown but we neglect the charm a city this size can have by maintaining it's older structures. I'm thankful this building is being renovated.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

If they are already putting drywall in, they are moving fast.  I would think that the plumbing and electrical work would take a long time to go from empty shell to however many working hotel rooms we’re talking about here, but maybe there is less to it than I am imagining.

That's barely enough drywall for half a floor. They're probably just working floor by floor.

It will take a bunch of it, I'm sure. I was just surprised they were ready to put any in at all.

Maybe they're going for a "lofty" theme and leaving the pipes exposed.

• 4 weeks later...

Did we know that there would be a fire pit?

"A new roof patio is proposed with a pool, bar and fire pit. A shallow concrete pool (max depth 4 feet) and overall dimensions of 30ˈ x 18ˈ is proposed for the center of the roof. Installation of the pool will require cutting a hole in the roof structure."

There are some cool historic photos of the building in this doc. Also there is a floor plan of the roof deck and pictures of the view - it looks sweet with views of the JW, 609 Main, 1111 Rusk and Niels Esperson. Nice job by Hines and Pickard / Kendall / Heaton in leaving this building in place when constructing BG Group Place.

• Like 1