Stowers Building To Become An Aloft Hotel At 820 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

It seems like we've heard in the past that Hines restored it, at least somewhat, with the development of BG Group Place. I suppose the BG Group Place thread might have photos if anyone wants to dig through, although photos were much less common on HAIF back then. It would make sense for them to have at least fixed up the exterior so that it wouldn't detract from their new office tower.

I recall that someone rehabbed it, but to what extent, I have no idea. The exterior looks to be in good shape.  The brick is almost like ceramic tile and will clean up with kind of a shine if they don't resurface it.

From what I could see around the lights that were on (mostly the ceilings), there did not appear to be anything but bare building structure there, so maybe they have a clean starting point, which would be ideal for a conversion.

I do wonder how they might manage a loading dock or service entrance with BG blocking two sides, but I'm sure they'll manage something. Aloft is not a "full service" hotel with bar/restaurant, right? Should cut down on that need. The Proposed 1114 Texas Hyatt Place would be in the same camp (and the Magnolia for that matter).

I recall that someone rehabbed it, but to what extent, I have no idea. The exterior looks to be in good shape.  The brick is almost like ceramic tile and will clean up with kind of a shine if they don't resurface it.

From what I could see around the lights that were on (mostly the ceilings), there did not appear to be anything but bare building structure there, so maybe they have a clean starting point, which would be ideal for a conversion.

I do wonder how they might manage a loading dock or service entrance with BG blocking two sides, but I'm sure they'll manage something. Aloft is not a "full service" hotel with bar/restaurant, right? Should cut down on that need. The Proposed 1114 Texas Hyatt Place would be in the same camp (and the Magnolia for that matter).

I think the last A-loft I stayed at had a bar, and thats it.

It seems like we've heard in the past that Hines restored it, at least somewhat, with the development of BG Group Place. I suppose the BG Group Place thread might have photos if anyone wants to dig through, although photos were much less common on HAIF back then. It would make sense for them to have at least fixed up the exterior so that it wouldn't detract from their new office tower.

It was restored/renovated, but not by Hines and not with the development of BG Group Place.  Spire Realty Group renovated the building, in the 2002-2004 time period.  It was reported at the time to have been a $13-14 Million renovation.  They were marketing it as office and retail condominiums.  But as far as I know, they never sold a single square foot.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

^^^ well, to say that this particular edifice has been restored / renovated etc... it sure doesn't look the part!  i'm sorry but it doesn't!  this prospective new hotel shall need a lot of work to make it shine a bit.... definitely!

^^^ well, to say that this particular edifice has been restored / renovated etc... it sure doesn't look the part!  i'm sorry but it doesn't!  this prospective new hotel shall need a lot of work to make it shine a bit.... definitely!

Prior to the renovation, it was in much the same condition as the buildings that were razed to make way for BG Place.

That block was blighted and nasty all the way around. I'm surprised anyone would have bothered to restore anything there prior to Hines taking out the worst of it, though maybe they knew that was coming. The building that fronted Main had been abandoned for a long time, and the Montagu was as seedy a hotel as you could draw up. The $.99 store across Walker is a holdout from those days, but one would wonder how much longer they can hold out with property values rising.

If that building were restored to its original condition and the other check cashing/fried chicken place two blocks down converted to something else, the transformation of Main Street would be nearly complete and pretty awesome. 

• Like 6

Love this. So much potential for this building. Now, if someone could just do something with that terrible garage. Sure wish downtown had some sort of design standards for garages. Far too many look like this.

That one has ground floor retail, so it can no be criticized.

• Like 1

That one has ground floor retail, so it can no be criticized.

moo. I'll continue to have higher standards. It's an eyesore. 

Is it a big enough eyesore to be considered a disaster?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown RE 2Q Update:

The newest addition to the list is Aloft, a conversion of the historic 1913 Stowers Building. 172 rooms are planned, and a 12ksf terrace with rooftop pool will be added. Est completion 2Q16. This project will be added to the next edition of the downtown development map.
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/07/new-aloft-hotels-coming-to-houston.html

"As Houston Business Journal previously reported, one of the new hotels will be the Aloft Houston Downtown. The historic Stowers Furniture Building at 820 Fannin St. will be redeveloped into a 165-room hotel with 2,000 square feet of meeting space. It is expected to open in June 2016."

• Like 4

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/07/new-aloft-hotels-coming-to-houston.html

"As Houston Business Journal previously reported, one of the new hotels will be the Aloft Houston Downtown. The historic Stowers Furniture Building at 820 Fannin St. will be redeveloped into a 165-room hotel with 2,000 square feet of meeting space. It is expected to open in June 2016."

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/07/aloft-plans-three-houston-area-hotels-by-2018-six-more-across-texas/#34275101=0

Aloft Houston Downtown: A renovation of the Stowers Building at 820 Fannin will feature 165 rooms and 2,000 square feet of meeting space. The hotel is expected to open in 2016.

• Like 2

Bill Franks, development partner for the Aloft Houston Downtown, said renovations like the one underway at the Stowers Building are worth the added expense.

"It's easier and faster and less expensive to tear something down and bring something new back up in its place," he said. "But when that happens, you've lost in this case 100 years of history that we can never get back no matter what we do."

Franks, who has been involved in revitalizing 14 downtown buildings including the 328-room JW Marriott at 806 Main, will bring a Mid Century Modern style to the 10-story building at 820 Fannin.

Built in 1913 to house the G.A. Stowers Furniture Co., the property will be turned into a 173-room hotel with an opening targeted in May. Trend Hospitality is developing the project and Arch-Con Construction is handling construction.

The top floor, which once served as manufacturing space for furniture, will house an exercise facility and guest rooms. The first floor will contain a restaurant, bar and lobby, while the second floor will house 2,000 square feet of meeting space and guest rooms. A rooftop pool and patio will offer views of the city.

"I like taking a historic building and revitalizing it into a building that is state of the art for today but will now last 50, 75, 100 more years," Franks said.

The building, which was designed by architects Green & Finger, shares a block with the new BG Group Place skyscraper. It is designed to appeal to travelers who want to be near Minute Maid Park, the George R. Brown Convention Center and numerous companies, Franks said.

The downtown hotel is Arch-Con Construction's first historic hotel renovation project. The Houston-based company is also building a 105-room Aloft in College Station scheduled to open next month.

"It is exciting to be a part of a project that is taking a building with such an architecturally historic and successful past and putting it back in service," Arch-Con president and CEO Michael Scheurich said.

Aloft falls into the "select service" genre, which is less expensive than a full-service hotel, but still offers some of the same features such as meeting space and dining options, McCaslin sa

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Starwood-kicks-off-hotel-expansion-6391792.php

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-Century Modern, interesting choice for this 1913 building.

Is it really less expensive to tear down and build new than to renovate? I guess it depends on the extent of the renovation, but for this building, they'd save money by tearing down and starting over?