Pizza in Houston

I'm partial to PapaJohn's. Not that its the best in the city, but i think it's by far the best chain pizza. And I'm a sucker for their bbq pizza.

I agree that Candalaris is pretty damn good, and that Star is good but a little overrated.

I'd also like to add that Texas Pizza on Richmond near Woodhead and Bambolino's Pizza on Westheimer near Mulberry are both pretty damn bad.

• 2 months later...

+1 for Ponzos in Midtown. Good pizza.

But even better pepperoni rolls.

It's a travesty Collina's on Richmond was overlooked entirely on this thread. The Mona Lisa a la Lisa is one of the best pizzas available in Houston.

That said, I think time of day should be a factor in deciding quality. At three in the morning, the best pizza in town bar none is Late Nite Pie. (And they'll bring a few beers by, regardless of the time.)

But even better pepperoni rolls.

It's a travesty Collina's on Richmond was overlooked entirely on this thread. The Mona Lisa a la Lisa is one of the best pizzas available in Houston.

That said, I think time of day should be a factor in deciding quality. At three in the morning, the best pizza in town bar none is Late Nite Pie. (And they'll bring a few beers by, regardless of the time.)

I had Collina's again last night. I got the Rustica and added pepperoni to the eggplant, red bell peppers and sausage already on the pie. I say this without exaggeration, and I've had pies in Italy and the rest of Europe, New York and Chicago, that was the best pizza I've ever eaten, bar none.

Going to Chicago kind of ruined pizza for me because it showed me pizza's potential. Nothing in Houston can beat legit Chicago deepdish.

i'd say any decent NY-style pizza in houston is better than just about any deepdish pizza from chicago. if i want a deepdish pizza, i'll go ahead and order a lasagna.

• Like 2

i'd say any decent NY-style pizza in houston is better than just about any deepdish pizza from chicago. if i want a deepdish pizza, i'll go ahead and order a lasagna.

It's always comforting to know I'm not the only person in the world who hates deep dish pizza. Sometimes I think I've just been missing something all these years, and then I realize that - no - it's just a crappy lasagna in a soggy crust.

It's always comforting to know I'm not the only person in the world who hates deep dish pizza. Sometimes I think I've just been missing something all these years, and then I realize that - no - it's just a crappy lasagna in a soggy crust.

Um....no. Lasagna has lasagna noodles in it. That's where it gets the name. Just so we're clear. :)

I guess that you have never had real Chicago Deep Dish.

I do prefer a NY pizza from Lombardi's, Spring St at Mott.

I've had Chicago Pizza in Chicago a few years ago. Eh.

I've had New York Pizza last year. Eh.

I've enjoyed Deep dish AND thin crust pizza, I just think it's all in the ingredients and how it's made and a matter of personal preference.

Sorta like how people will get into fist fights over who has the best BBQ in Houston.

California Pizza SUCKS.

Should I bring in guns and knives into this little debate?

I've had Chicago Pizza in Chicago a few years ago. Eh.

I've had New York Pizza last year. Eh.

I've enjoyed Deep dish AND thin crust pizza, I just think it's all in the ingredients and how it's made and a matter of personal preference.

Sorta like how people will get into fist fights over who has the best BBQ in Houston.

California Pizza SUCKS.

Should I bring in guns and knives into this little debate?

My wife and I ordered a Veggie Pizza in London once. Don't ask why. But this damn thing came with corn on top. My wife went nuts on the waiter about it.

The thing I like about good deep dish is that its cooked 45+ minutes and its plenty of time for all the ingredients to muddle together into a delicious mess. Houston pizza joints are confused, though, and their deep dish is deep bread rather than deep toppings, so its not that good.

Edited by kylejack

The thing I like about good deep dish is that its cooked 45+ minutes and its plenty of time for all the ingredients to muddle together into a delicious mess. Houston pizza joints are confused, though, and their deep dish is deep bread rather than deep toppings, so its not that good.

This is exactly right, based on my recent experience with Chicago Pizza in the Heights. It was good, but it was a lot of bread, and not exactly life-changingly good pizza.

• 4 weeks later...