Pizza in Houston

Just tried Luigi's on Almeda right on the border of the Museum District and Midtown. I thought the pizza was great. They serve it NY style by the slice. Nice little building with a patio. The guy behind the counter was telling me they've been open for 6 weeks and apparently doing well with schools nearby (HCC?). They have a small menu, but it what they have fits my taste for a neighborhood pizza joint. He also said it's BYOB, which is kind of awesome.

I'll be going back, especially when the weather gets nice. BYOB on the patio seems like it will be hard to beat.

Just tried Luigi's on Almeda right on the border of the Museum District and Midtown. I thought the pizza was great. They serve it NY style by the slice. Nice little building with a patio. The guy behind the counter was telling me they've been open for 6 weeks and apparently doing well with schools nearby (HCC?). They have a small menu, but it what they have fits my taste for a neighborhood pizza joint. He also said it's BYOB, which is kind of awesome.

I'll be going back, especially when the weather gets nice. BYOB on the patio seems like it will be hard to beat.

Do they have lunch slice specials? I might drop by there during my lunch hour from work.

Sounds like you're going to the wrong Collina's, then. The only good one is on Richmond near Weslayan.

Really? I am now officially addicted to Berripop frozen yogurt, which means I will be parking in front of Collina's much more often. I want to like them, but the Village location sucks and while I eat lunch once a couple of times a month at the 19th St store with a friend who likes it (meatball sammich is good) it just can't touch Romanos. I actually trust your opinion, but pizza is very personal, as you know. I need more to go on. I feel the need to diversify in case something were to happen to my favorite.

I need a back-up pie.

Really? I am now officially addicted to Berripop frozen yogurt, which means I will be parking in front of Collina's much more often. I want to like them, but the Village location sucks and while I eat lunch once a couple of times a month at the 19th St store with a friend who likes it (meatball sammich is good) it just can't touch Romanos. I actually trust your opinion, but pizza is very personal, as you know. I need more to go on. I feel the need to diversify in case something were to happen to my favorite.

I need a back-up pie.

All the other Collina's suck. Oh, how I wish they didn't. The ones I've tried have a different menu from that one by Berripop. Try the pepperoni "pizzette" on a Saturday afternoon for the best experience. If you don't like it then you have defective sense organs, which is unlikely since you're addicted to Berripop.

All the other Collina's suck. Oh, how I wish they didn't. The ones I've tried have a different menu from that one by Berripop. Try the pepperoni "pizzette" on a Saturday afternoon for the best experience. If you don't like it then you have defective sense organs, which is unlikely since you're addicted to Berripop.

I've been to 3 different Collina's (don't know if there are more), but I would say 19th and Richmond are tied for best and have the same menu as far as I can tell. Anything past pizza or a calzone and what's the point anyway? The one in the village, I love the little patio, but the food wasn't as good as the others. We walk to the one on 19th all the time and always come away happy.

My new favorite is Frank's downtown though, we went there based on a suggestion in this thread I think. I love all pizza though. Cheese and greasy meats? Ok, I'm in.

I second that! Little Napoli's off of the Light Rail Downtown and Star Pizza over near The Heights.\

Yeah, the Napoli's on Beechnut makes some decent pizza. They also play The Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon" every time I walk in the joint for some reason. That's sweet.

I've been to 3 different Collina's (don't know if there are more), but I would say 19th and Richmond are tied for best and have the same menu as far as I can tell. Anything past pizza or a calzone and what's the point anyway? The one in the village, I love the little patio, but the food wasn't as good as the others. We walk to the one on 19th all the time and always come away happy.

My new favorite is Frank's downtown though, we went there based on a suggestion in this thread I think. I love all pizza though. Cheese and greasy meats? Ok, I'm in.

I'm eating Frank's right now, even though it's a greezy philly cheesteak. I love their pizza too.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
It is according to this LA Times Travel wrtier. He chose Star.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...-star-or--4784/

I have never had Brother's. Double Dave's is pretty good, I must admit.

Wow - I'm kinda shocked about Brother's. I mean I like Brother's and all, grew up on it, but I thought only north siders knew about it :P

I like Barry's on Richmond, but my ultimate fav is Star

Double Dave's? DOUBLE DAVE'S? Why is that abomination even on the list?!?

Good grief. Double Dave's is for people in the far exurbs who think Cheddar's is fancy Saturday night date dining. SORRY. Double Dave's has some of the rankest, nastiest pizza I've ever had the displeasure of tasting.

/rant over

My vote goes to Dolce Vita. (Shocker, I'm sure. :rolleyes: )

Edited by sheeats
  • Like 2

Romanos!

Sbarro? :huh: That's airport concourse pie, not pizza, lol!

We tried Romano's and didn't think it was as good as New York Pizzaria, which is itself just middle of the road. Brothers is pretty good. I've never been to Dolce Vita...where is that?

Good grief. Double Dave's is for people in the far exurbs who think Cheddar's is fancy Saturday night date dining. SORRY. Double Dave's has some of the rankest, nastiest pizza I've ever had the displeasure of tasting.

/rant over

<ProHouston puts his hand in the face of anyone who talks smack about DoubleDaves>. Though I will admit that I've never had Dolce Vita. My fav is Pepperoni's though, but watch out, it can only be had in the far southwest "exurbs" of Sugar Land and the like :D

Edited by ProHouston

I thought it was funny how Romano's didn't make the list in your little poll here. I've had it myself and I wasn't too impressed. And maybe it was just the Texan in me or else I'm just influenced by the cheap shots I've seen taken at Texas lately by New Yorkers, but I found the sign about not asking for ranch in the typical New York attitude (the note ends with "SO DON'T ASK") to be distasteful. Drowning pizza in ranch is not my personal taste, but I feel that if anyone wants to drown their pizza in ranch, heck, let em do it. Let folks do what they want, it's the Texan way. They gave you money for the slice of pizza. It's their pizza now and they can do whatever they please with it. What's to stop you if they take it home, are you gonna follow them home to make sure they don't dip it?

/rant over

I've had Double Dave's two or three times. I thought it was pretty good each time.

I really like Antonio's flying pizza on Hillcroft also the Pizza from Grotto's. Star used to be a regular stop for me when lived around that area.

Nothing wrong with Double Dave's pepperoni rolls. Look forward to trying Grimaldi's.