Village Plaza At Bunker Hill Shopping Center At 9710 Katy Fwy.

texasdago

About 6 months ago, I heard a rumor about Central Market. The rumormill said that Oshman's (on the corner of Gessner and I-10) was going to move into the old Service Merchandise store (about 1/2 mile west) and Central Market was going to take over the Oshman's location.

Well, for the past 6 months, it's been mostly a rumor but we've been watching with interest as the old Service Merchandise store got a facelift. Sure enough, a banner was just hung on the facade announcing that the store would be an Oshman's.

So... one down, one to go? Personally, I'm thrilled about having a Central Market nearby if the rest of the rumor is true.

• Like 1

About 6 months ago, I heard a rumor about Central Market.  The rumormill said that Oshman's (on the corner of Gessner and I-10) was going to move into the old Service Merchandise store (about 1/2 mile west) and Central Market was going to take over the Oshman's location.

Where did you hear the rumour? A reliable source? That would be fantastic if we got a Central market out here!

On a related note, has anyone heard anything more about Whole Foods Market's proposal to relocate the Woodway Dr. store to a new, larger building to be built near Post Oak Blvd. in Uptown? I think one possible location across Uptown Park Blvd. from the Uptown Park Center.

I think it would be great if Central Market opened a second store here. That location on I-10 isn't the easiest to get in and out of, but it would be close to the affluent Memorial Villages, which is very much the demographic that Central Market targets.

Well, I hope I'M wrong, but I recently (1 month or so) spoke to one of the floor managers at Central Market about their expansion plans. The plan for Houston seems to be one central location (Westheimer and Weslyan) with the satellite areas getting the new HEB's (which carry many, but not all, of the same items). This conversation developed as we talked about Dallas. You see, Dallas is getting several CM's across the city whereas Houston seems to be getting only one. The exception to this is, of course, the new Woodland's Market. That is netiher an HEB or a CM.

That would really be a shame because I haven't been very impressed with either of the new HEBs (Gessner @ Kempwood; Beltway 8 @ Beechnut??) Neither can measure up to Central Market. The only other store that comes close, in terms of hard-to-find international foods, is Fiesta- the one on on I10 and Blalock(?) I'm not very good with remembering street names.

• 2 months later...

Notice the way they have not renovated the outter strip of the parking lot of the former Service Merchandise where Office Depot and Oshman's are now located. It appears about 60 or 80 feet along the frontage will be taken by the new I-10 lanes. The whole jewelery store may have to go. This will leave the Oshman's center with an undersized parking lot for a building of that size. There may be some space on the side to develop more parking but it will not be as convenient.

If that same amount of widening occurs at the old Globe-Oshman's building, the roadway will be up to the north wall. It looks like the service stations there may be going away too. That will make the entry into the mall area look better.

I've gone into the Woodlands version of the Central Market a few times now, and unless things pick up dramatically, they may be going the way of Albertson's. It is always dead slow in there, more of a tourist attraction but people just walk through and look around and then leave without buying. Meanwhile the Krogers and Randalls in the area always appear to be bustling. What gives?

I can't speak for the Woodlands store, which really isn't a Central Market but a hybrid of a nice HEB and Central Market. But the real Central Market store at Weslayan and Westheimer is always busy when I'm in there and people are making purchases.

The Globe-Mervyn's-Oshman's building on the south west corner of I-10 @ Gessner is being demolished. About 50% of it was down by Monday night. Sage at I-10 @ West Belt was demolished earlier this year possibly for a detention pond and reconfigured interchange. Now Globe is gone too. No more early 1970's vintage discount big boxes.

The Globe building was 84,833 square feet on an eight acre site. HBJ from 11-10-03 lists the options for the site at that time were a Central Market, CVS, or leasing it to Memorial Hermann for their expansion. At that time discussions with Memorial Hermann were stalled.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new, but I have been actively watching what has been transpiring on the south side of I-10 for some time now. Jared does have plans to move to space along the south frontage road in between Gessner and Bunker Hill, in front of the Foley's parking garage. They began building it just a few weeks ago.

I keep scanning the Houston Business Journal for any info on Central Market moving to the spot that was once occupied by Oshman's, but I don't see anything. Has anyone found out any information from Metro National? I would never move from my condo if I found out Central Market was coming! Good gravy! :D

FWIW, I love the hybrid H-E-B in the Woodlands. It's so new, still, that a lot of folks don't even know it's there, which could account for a lack of crowds. It's a really nifty blend of CM and a conventional grocery store.

It will be very interesting to see how the new freeway expansion changes things around these parts!

I suppose if I had some strong desire to serve some geek-neck clams or hamster brisket, I would probably check at Central Market because they have just about anything you could want. But for normal produce and other goods, I think their prices are highway robbery! If I can