Is Montrose Over?

Given all the ongoing new development in Montrose, such as the high-rise at 3400 Montrose, new townhouses, restaurants, etc do you think that the neighborhood’s days as Houston’s “hip” area are nearing an end?  Will it come to be seen as effectively the same as Upper Kirby or Midtown?  If so, will its role be supplanted by other neighborhoods, such as Third Ward or east side?  Or is there even any reason anymore for a neighborhood in the role that Montrose has historically played in Houston? 

Given all the ongoing new development in Montrose, such as the high-rise at 3400 Montrose, new townhouses, restaurants, etc do you think that the neighborhood’s days as Houston’s “hip” area are nearing an end? Will it come to be seen as effectively the same as Upper Kirby or Midtown? If so, will its role be supplanted by other neighborhoods, such as Third Ward or east side? Or is there even any reason anymore for a neighborhood in the role that Montrose has historically played in Houston?

No reason to be doom and gloomy--Montrose will always retain some of that uniqueness until its shops, bars, and restaurants completely disappear for chains (mostly), the original 1960s-era population of Montrose moves on, or other things. If you're bemoaning the "death" of Montrose, what was the catalyst, or the single "symbol" that it ended?

i think you're confusing "hip" with "bohemian" or "counter-culture"... montrose is as hip as it's ever been, truth be told. it's also still far and away (at least from what i can tell) the center of Houston's bohemian/counter-culture scene. it's going through the same transistion as plaes like greenwich village in NYC has gone through - from the home to the alternative/arts scene to a more happening yet mainstream (and expensive) inner city neighborhood.

Given all the ongoing new development in Montrose, such as the high-rise at 3400 Montrose, new townhouses, restaurants, etc do you think that the neighborhood’s days as Houston’s “hip” area are nearing an end?  Will it come to be seen as effectively the same as Upper Kirby or Midtown?  If so, will its role be supplanted by other neighborhoods, such as Third Ward or east side?  Or is there even any reason anymore for a neighborhood in the role that Montrose has historically played in Houston? 

Montrose is evolving... too much money there now to be the ultimate - alternative destination. Eado is really the new hip affordable spot...

But Montrose is still montrose... I am 25 - and Montrose was a little weird but a cool artsy and creative place to live. I still think it is those things, just with alot more $$$$$

Eado is the place to go if you like the gritty alternative culture.

I think the area is losing its identity...a little (as a neighborhood).  Just visiting the area it no longer has that "vibe" it used to (just 4 or so years ago).  Perhaps that's a good thing?  I think Montose stood out before because it was a district surrounded by mostly residentia,l and now it is being encroached on by other neighborhoods/districts that have expanded.  Midtown is its own unique area, as is Upper Kirby as well.

I also feel that Montrose (is now) a large neighborhood with seperate enclaves throughout.  Lower Westheimer is Montrose, but it is also Lower Westheimer.  The Menil and St Thomas are in the Montrose neighborhood, but they are seperate and their own micro-neighborhood.  And the area along West Dallas is clearly NOT in Montrose to me.  That's more of an extension of River Oaks and Midtown - in fact that may even extend further south to West Gray?  I'll also add that the area along Allen Parkway has always felt like a district to me - the whole way across from Shephard to I-45.  I've always thought of that area as the "Skyline District" or something?  Since you can actually SEE the skyline unlike the poorly named area in Downtown made of 1970s modernism boxes.

I think the area is losing its identity...a little (as a neighborhood).  Just visiting the area it no longer has that "vibe" it used to (just 4 or so years ago).  Perhaps that's a good thing?  I think Montose stood out before because it was a district surrounded by mostly residentia,l and now it is being encroached on by other neighborhoods/districts that have expanded.  Midtown is its own unique area, as is Upper Kirby as well.

I also feel that Montrose (is now) a large neighborhood with seperate enclaves throughout.  Lower Westheimer is Montrose, but it is also Lower Westheimer.  The Menil and St Thomas are in the Montrose neighborhood, but they are seperate and their own micro-neighborhood.  And the area along West Dallas is clearly NOT in Montrose to me.  That's more of an extension of River Oaks and Midtown - in fact that may even extend further south to West Gray?  I'll also add that the area along Allen Parkway has always felt like a district to me - the whole way across from Shephard to I-45.  I've always thought of that area as the "Skyline District" or something?  Since you can actually SEE the skyline unlike the poorly named area in Downtown made of 1970s modernism boxes.

I thought the skyline district was basically Louisiana & Smith St?

Anyways, Montrose hasn't changed at all to me. The only thing I have noticed is less prostitutes at Crockett & Hyde Park (other than all the new developments).

That is the skyline district... but you CAN'T see the skyline!  Just the buildings.  I was being overly dramatic for the sake of being dramatic.

I disagree about Montrose.  Perhaps the area hasn't changed at all?  I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels different to me.  And I used to be an inner looper, so my views are on visiting that area maybe once a month?  Perhaps I'm missing something?

To sum up:  I think the area "feels" different than it used to.  That in part is due to the micro-neighborhoods in/around Montrose taking on stronger identities of their own.

I think you put into words what was bothering me when I viewed the 1SMTX  (one square mile Texas) on PBS

When they called the episode "Montrose" but actually only showed mostly St Thomas /Menil---It didn't really speak to me about what living in "Montrose" meant.

I think Montrose will always retain its edgy/bohemian vibe....but its getting more and more gentrified...which is good too because its gonna clean up some of the ghetto parts....All in All I think even with all of whats going on there it will still always be one of the most popular neighborhoods for Hipsters and Yuppies....

I think Montrose will always retain its edgy/bohemian vibe....but its getting more and more gentrified...which is good too because its gonna clean up some of the ghetto parts....All in All I think even with all of whats going on there it will still always be one of the most popular neighborhoods for Hipsters and Yuppies....

Yuppies for sure. The antique stores' prices now compete with crate & barrel.

The death blow for Montrose was when the Wetsheimer Street Fest was exiled and canceled.

Now, it's a corpse. A shell of its former.

Still a cool neighborhood though.

Just a little more yuppie than hippie.

More alchie than druggie.

More high class call girl than tranny hooker.

moon tower inn on canal and frenetic theater on navigation may be evidence of an eastward movement of former montrosian counter-culture.  one caveat, gay subculture, which had a strong influence on montrose identity, is mostly assimilated now.  in the past, you might have been able to say that gay bars/clubs/restaurants would begin to pop up in the next hip area.  i don't know if that will be the case in current culture.  the movement of the unhip hip, along with artists and musicians; however, might be a signpost pointing east/southeast.

i've got my eye on a mid-century office building on navigation for starving artist flats.  the east side needs some warehouse parties and live music events that do not cater to the douchie crowd.  anyone remember downtown grounds?  the industrial east side is ripe for some dive venues.

no, montrose is not over.

yes, the good ol free for all days are over for montrose.....that spirit may be moving east, if it still exists at all.

Other major changes that could signify "the end":

- Felix Mexican Restaurant closes after 60 years

- Eviction and demolition of the Wilshire Village Apts.

- Closure of Mary's

- "Disco Kroger" renovates to "fresh fare" prototype

Pick one.

Montrose has been evolving for a very long time. I think the oil bust just slowed the inevitable down for a bit because development simply wasn't happening at a large scale, but things were definitely changing all that time.

When did the Dream Merchant give way to Mark's? Trading in Doc Marten's for Fine Dining...

When did Chutes and the urban legend of a mummification gone wrong (gang banging a corpse) transform into the Empire Cafe?

When did the cops stop the cruising of lower Westheimer?

To clarify where the hip areas still are. I believe the area actually east of EaDo is becoming the hip area. Went there 2 months ago for a party and I was shocked how young and hip the area is, being how close it is to Third Ward.

0QAqpin.jpg

Moments in time are gone forever.  Fashions change, politics changes, epidemics come and go.  By that token, Montrose as we remember it (whether from the 60s, 70s, 80, 90s, or whatever) will never be the same again, regardless of whether we miss it or how much.  I respect the comments given here, but sometimes I also feel that they are rather innocent  -- perhaps because people didn't live through those times.

I guess I would never have been considered a "Montrosian", but please forgive me when I say that some of the laments I've heard here seem to not reflect experience of some key threads that struck me in the late 60s to early 70s.    For instance, I think there was a very strong, open element of sexuality (most explicitly male-to-male) that blossomed then and vanished after the epidemic took its toll.  Although I wasn't into that scene, I was struck by seeing male hustlers all up and down Westheimer, even out between Hillcroft and Fondren.  I'm sure many people here could tell tales of restaurants that "young hipsters" frequent today that used to be bars where all kinds of stuff went on (e.g., Empire Cafe, but also others).  

Wow, I realize now that I've wandered off topic.  In any case, OK, back to the present:  I will not return to a restaurant that has bad food.  More so,  I won't go back if the restrooms are gross (and I've seen so-called fancy places that are like that).   The Montrose area is gradually getting places that have good food w/o the gross restrooms.  I am hopeful that it will eventually escape from being a place that would (according to my granddad's dictionary) be described as "monostrous" bad.  :-)

i've got my eye on a mid-century office building on navigation for starving artist flats.  the east side needs some warehouse parties and live music events that do not cater to the douchie crowd.  anyone remember downtown grounds?  the industrial east side is ripe for some dive venues.

There are some already out there, like this:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/05/the_doctors_office_one_more_li.php

When did the Dream Merchant give way to Mark's? Trading in Doc Marten's for Fine Dining...

Dream Merchant's best days were when it was still a glorified head shop in Sharpstown Mall. It wasn't the same once they moved to Montrose and shifted their focus to fashion. That said, your point is well taken about Docs giving way to upscale dining. 

If you ever wondered why there are no turn signs after... pm. It was to cut down on people cruising for hustlers.

"After... pm"? No turns at night? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I know that the main drag of Westheimer has no turn lanes, and past Stanford is quite narrow.

moon tower inn on canal and frenetic theater on navigation may be evidence of an eastward movement of former montrosian counter-culture. one caveat, gay subculture, which had a strong influence on montrose identity, is mostly assimilated now. in the past, you might have been able to say that gay bars/clubs/restaurants would begin to pop up in the next hip area. i don't know if that will be the case in current culture. the movement of the unhip hip, along with artists and musicians; however, might be a signpost pointing east/southeast.

i've got my eye on a mid-century office building on navigation for starving artist flats. the east side needs some warehouse parties and live music events that do not cater to the douchie crowd. anyone remember downtown grounds? the industrial east side is ripe for some dive venues.

no, montrose is not over.

yes, the good ol free for all days are over for montrose.....that spirit may be moving east, if it still exists at all.

If you want Bohemian in EaDo, it's "Super Happy Fun Land" on Polk. Only thing more Bohemian in town is Notsuoh's upstairs after hours.

And speaking of Polk, I know many that have moved to that area (Cullen & Polk) ...definitely is gaining a Montrosian vibe there.

Also - Agreed with whomever said the change began with then end of WestFest. But Montrose is not over. It will still have some spots like Lola's, Number's, Mango's, Catbird's, Boondock's, & Poison Girl. But with its gentrification, it'll also have some yuppie spots like Royal Oak, Hay Merchant, Anvil, & Doc's mixed in. It's hipster meets yuppie ...and that just means more variety for everyone, which keeps the area active as ever.

And this is why Midtown for me is awesome. I'm smack dab between both neighborhoods and Downtown.

But Montrose is still montrose... I am 25 - and Montrose was a little weird but a cool artsy and creative place to live. I still think it is those things, just with alot more $$$$$

I'm not sure about all the $$$$$

if you walk the neighborhoods, even the modest neighborhoods, you can find that artsy vibe still there. Like: upscale  metal sculptures of parrots in bushes to those big chicken sculptures from Mexico   and  origami butterflies on the outside wall of a porch or blue bottled -bottles trees in a  front yard.

maybe it's transforming into cool and artsy with subdued weirdness?

"After... pm"? No turns at night? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I know that the main drag of Westheimer has no turn lanes, and past Stanford is quite narrow.

Not the main streets, but in the neighborhoods (like Avondale).

Montrose is evolving... too much money there now to be the ultimate - alternative destination. Eado is really the new hip affordable spot...

Eado is the place to go if you like the gritty alternative culture.

The eastend will never be hip if you keep refering to it as Eado! Just call it the eastend like it's been called for years and everyone will know what you are talking about. You don't hear people calling Montrose the "Mont" or "Wesdo". It just doesn't work. It doesn't sound right. It sounds like you are trying to refer to some type of amusement center or fun destination, which it's not. It's a bunch of grimey old warehouses, older homes, vacant lots and some newly built townhomes squeezed in. It's not Montrose, it's not bohemian, it's not culturally significant.

Montrose has already changed. Fewer tattoo parlors, more restaurants. Fewer unique places, more blandness. When they built that strip center just west of Taft, that's when it started transforming, so like 15 years ago, at least.

Now a days you can say you live in Montrose, or that you spend time there and people don't ask you questions about why. This is neither good, nor bad, it's just changed.

As for the East End and EaDo, EaDo is only a small part of the East End, it has a very different flavor than that of the rest of the East End, EaDo is like Montrose is now, you can't live there cheap, and there aren't a lot of unique places you can go, there are still some parts that aren't taken over by blandness yet (and because it used to be very industrial, it's a bunch of warehouses rather than unique houses or businesses, so there was no uniqueness to begin with).

The East End itself though, it's still got plenty of unique left in it for people to come and remove and put in starbucks on every corner.

• 4 months later...

I don't think Montrose is 'over.' It still has the eateries and tatoo parlors to cater to hipsters. I agree that I have seen some migration of that crowd over to the Eastside (e.g. Bohemeo's). Aside: what's with komboucha? I can't understand what's appealing about the drink or why it's sold in hipster restaurants.

Archived