One could argue that they don't have a flawed business model, just a flawed business.  However, they couldn't have known in 1980something when they opened that in 20 years people would have video game systems at their home that were 1000 times more sophisticated than what D&B could offer.

I do think that D&B should examine their business model though.  They bought their main competition - which was an ailing company too boot - and now are just about it.  I still do not see who on earth would buy stock in them?

Any way... that image was in that one rendering (on the Chronicle), so I suppose perhaps they'll expand to 3 locations?  Honestly they would be better off opening at Kemah or Galveston than the north side of Baybrook.

Also keep in mind that there is a Main Event not far down the freeway (<1 mile). They have a full bar, laser tag, bowling, billiards, mini golf. I think they have some video games too?

I think that's more driven to parents taking their kids, but probably still considered direct competition.

^Yep.  Main Event is driven towards the correct demographic.  D&B will get people to go, but I still think their model of business (strictly catering to adults) is asking for financial trouble down the road.

Not sure why someone like Main Event or D&B don't go to Galveston, or as mentioned Kemah?  Lots of tourists during peak holidays, and busy enough the rest of the time.

According to the City of Houston boundary maps, Baybrook Mall lies within the City of Houston, while most of the surrounding tracts are cobbled up between Webster, Friendswood and League City. So the big sales tax winner in this one is Houston.

Interesting.

From window.state.tx:

Local sales and use tax should be reported based on the physical location address and not a postal address.

• Lakeline Mall has a postal address of Cedar Park, Texas, but is physically located within the city of Austin. Local sales and use tax collected in Lakeline Mall should be reported to the city of Austin and the Austin MTA, not to Cedar Park.
  • Baybrook Mall has a postal address of Friendswood, Texas, but is physically located within the city of Houston. Local sales and use tax collected in the Baybrook Mall should be reported to the city of Houston and the Houston MTA, not to Friendswood.

I really thought the sales tax rate at Baybrook was the lower Friendswood rate, but I haven't been there in 10+ years...

• 1 month later...

I'm with you Arche. I went once in undergrad (st louis) for a bday or something. The only thing I know of now where people go (i'm in my 30's) is for corporate events. But that doesn't seem like it could sustain their business.

The handfull of times I've been have also all been after-hours corporate gatherings.  Other than that, I've never had an inclination to go on my own or with friends.  But, I pass the one on Richmond from time to time on Friday and Saturday nights and the parking lot is usually full, so someone's going.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Retail-Wrap-REI-will-be-part-of-lifestyle-center-8663976.php

Outdoor gear and apparel co-op REI plans to open a 25,000-square-foot store next to the new lifestyle center in Baybrook Mall, its third in the Houston area. Opening is planned for October. Other retailers scheduled to open in Baybrook Mall this fall include Dick's Sporting Goods, Field & Stream and Golf Galaxy.

• The title was changed to Baybrook Mall Expansion
  • 8 months later...

40 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

It seems there were possible plans to redevelop the former Baybrook Mall Sears ( 300 Baybrook Mall) into a multifamily residence. Materials from 2020 indicated Toll Brothers partnering with Seritage on the project.

https://investors.tollbrothers.com/~/media/Files/T/TollBrothers-IR/documents/Corporate Profile/tol-corporate-profile-q2-2020.pdf

9CpJRko.jpg

fOKQf2L.jpg

• Like 1

The former Sears location at Baybrook Mall (300 Baybrook Mall) recently changed hands.

According to county records, Seritage sold the property to an entity named 300 Baybrook Mall, LLC in December. The entity is tied to furniture store Living Spaces.

https://www.livingspaces.com/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The former Sears location at Baybrook Mall (300 Baybrook Mall) recently changed hands.

According to county records, Seritage sold the property to an entity named 300 Baybrook Mall, LLC in December. The entity is tied to furniture store Living Spaces.

Living Spaces recently applied for a beer and wine permit for its forthcoming Baybrook Mall location. As noted earlier this year, the furniture store purchased the former Sears location in the mall at 300 Baybrook Mall.

The alcohol application notice seems to indicate the Baybrook outpost will include a Living Spaces Café. The Fountain View and Katy locations also have Living Spaces Café in their stores.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 1/2/2023 at 9:38 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 1/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A plan review fee permit was filed yesterday for 300 Baybrook Mall. 

Below are details from the permit:

• Use: demolition, retail
  • FCC Group: non-residential alteration

As posted earlier this year, furniture store Living Spaces is opening at 300 Baybrook Mall. The space was previously Sears. Living Spaces purchased the property last December.

1DKuPVx.png

• Like 2