DrLan34

Pearl Marketplace at Midtown: Apartments, Whole Foods

When I first looked at this picture I thought the Canadian Mounties were doing the ground breaking and I was very confused

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, cspwal said:

When I first looked at this picture I thought the Canadian Mounties were doing the ground breaking and I was very confused

Well Maple Leaf Pub is right across the street...

• Like 5

Wow. Whole Foods and HEB determined not to lose the edge in the hip urban grocery race. Bad for the overbuilt multi family market, good for armchair urbanists like us.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, architrist said:

the site isn't super small but it would be a tight whole foods. does anybody think there's a chance this will be a stacked grocery store? 

On 1/15/2016 at 10:41 PM, Urbannizer said:

The latest:

24381653346_6bd277c5bd_o.jpg

24040059779_f0830064ed_o.jpg

It looks like the grocery store itself will be one floor, with maybe a mezzanine above the entrance.  That one floor will be that whole block though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

That one floor will be that whole block though.

Appears that with parking above and below the store, there will be a good chunk of land required for ramps though.

Right, which is what the excised stub of Rosalie will be for. This should be a pretty standard sized WFM: not Austin-flagship sized, but normal urban Whole Foods.

14 minutes ago, architrist said:

Is there any reason it looks like all the Whole Foods branding has been taken off the fence? 

It was taken off? I just walked past there and it was on

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It was taken off? I just walked past there and it was on

Hmm, I was wondering if WFM had pulled out. You know they actually closed 9 stores?

All the signage that showed the building with the Whole Foods are gone, they only have lifestyle photos up now. I wonder what is up? 

I sure hope "if" Whole foods does pull out, it doesn't effect the status of the project. Or it could be that they are ready to build covered walks. They did the same in Austin with 5th + West in which they had rendering of the tower then pulled it not long after. 

• Like 1

Here's to hoping it's a legal thing where WF didn't want their name plastered all over the Morgan Group's signage. Fingers Crossed - although a Central Market would kill here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

The Morgan Group put out a press release today about the official ground breaking. Whole Foods is INCLUDED.

False alarm appears to be false.

• Like 1

Hopefully the architecture changed and they didn't want the old design still being put up as advertising.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of photographic evidence, but there is a VERY LARGE hole on this site. Like half a block by half a block by 10 feet deep large.  Quite the progress since I drove by a week ago.

• Like 1

The project is still going forward in some way. Construction has never stopped. Hopefully just the design of the building is the reason they took down the old pictures.

• Like 1

You typically don't start construction or even get financing unless there is a signed lease in place, in which case it is too late for Whole Foods to drop out without some serious repercussions for them.

• Like 1

It will be good to get this store at this location.  But, I can't help wonder if Wholefoods plans will be impacted by the recent stockholder actions regarding possible sales, etc?  My guess (and hope) is that Whole Foods moves in as planned.

• Like 1

Amazon just snapped up Whole Foods. Wonder if that changes anything about this project?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ADCS said:

Amazon just snapped up Whole Foods. Wonder if that changes anything about this project?

Well, assuming that the deal closes.  Keep in mind that It might not.......

amazon and WF have signed a merger agreement.  The joint company announcement is silent as to "detailed terms" of that agreement so I don't know what it says.  But a few things to consider:  First, This deal will need anti-trust approval.  I believe that this deal will not be challenged by the government.  Next, since WF is public, there may be a way for a competing bidder to enter the ring.  There is likely a punative breakup fee that would make anyone think twice before diving in but, they might still.  Finally, it could also be (unlikely) that the shareholders don't like the price and don't approve the sale when it comes to a vote.  So, while I agree that this deal is likely going to happen, it's technically not a "done deal" yet.

all that said, I do think that later this year (likely this fall), that Amazon will own Whole Foods but I don't think that fact will alter this store.  

• Like 1