Pearl Marketplace At Midtown: Multifamily At 3120 Smith St.

DrLan34

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Smith at Elgin. is it still there? The restoration was nice. Once again...Too bad they want to wreck it.  looks like it was originally a grocery store. In the '70's there was a pet store with an animal yard out back. Think it may have been in this bldg. Anyone remember? 

post-5666-0-27598600-1402755419_thumb.jp

post-5666-0-97559800-1402755456_thumb.jp

Smith at Elgin. is it still there? The restoration was nice. Once again...Too bad they want to wreck it.  looks like it was originally a grocery store. In the '70's there was a pet store with an animal yard out back. Think it may have been in this bldg. Anyone remember? 

Yeah, I'm kicking myself trying to remember the name of it.  The back had llamas etc and lots of trees.  I wasn't too pleased with the renovation into the Social Security office.  It lost a lot of the art deco-ness.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Whole foods at the new pearl midtown finally announced - couldn't find the other thread.

Do you think this solidifies midtown's status even more and causes more confidence and faster growth? This is a pretty big deal.

• Like 1

hole Foods Market is planning to open a new store in Midtown, its 11th in the greater Houston area.

The store, on Elgin between Smith and Brazos streets, will have around 40,000 square feet and open by the end of 2017, a spokeswoman said late Wednesday.

The Austin-based organic grocer also announced plans Wednesday to launch a new "value-oriented" concept targeting millennial shoppers.

These stores, which will begin opening next year, will feature "modern, streamlined design, innovative technology and a curated selection."

On a conference call to discuss the company's second-quarter earnings, co-CEO Walter Robb said the new concept will be "unlike anything that currently exists in the marketplace."

He said Whole Foods is building a team to focus on the new brand and negotiate leases.

The company did not say if the new Midtown store would be a new concept.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Whole-Foods-to-open-in-Midtown-6247111.php

• Like 5

Yes... Imo from a development standpoint both midtown and cbd have hit critical mass.

Yes!

Lots of positive implications here, a third full size grocery store in Midtown (Randalls, Whole Foods, Fiesta) will REALLY give midtown that authentic neighborhood feel.

This will open the door for lots of other soft goods retail, hopefully some major clothing reatilers, Midtown really lacks in shopping options.

Austin-based Whole Foods Market Inc.(Nasdaq: WFM) has opened two new Houston-area stores so far this year, and it’s already lined up another location.

The Houston Chronicle reports the 40,000-square-foot store will be in Midtown, on Elgin Street between Smith and Brazos streets, and will open by the end of 2017.

It will be the 11th Whole Foods location in the greater Houston area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/05/whole-foods-to-open-another-inner-loop-location.html

• Like 3

There isn't a multi-family building there now, so I suspect not

If you look at GSV at that location, there's a variance notice for a reduced building line/lack of visibility triangle related to multi-family housing on Smith at Elgin:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.744079,-95.380237,3a,18.7y,280.2h,71.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sghLwaAiEcDVutL3m1lEmdg!2e0

Edited by ADCS

If you look at GSV at that location, there's a variance notice for a reduced building line/lack of visibility triangle related to multi-family housing on Smith at Elgin:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.744079,-95.380237,3a,18.7y,280.2h,71.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sghLwaAiEcDVutL3m1lEmdg!2e0

That was for the Pearl on Smith -- which was canceled

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/29976-pearl-on-smith/?hl=%2Bpearl+%2Bsmith

Edited by HoustonMidtown

There isn't a multi-family building there now, so I suspect not

I believe the plan is also to build a Pearl multi-family complex there as well. Whether it's side by side or on top of one another is up in the air.

Oh wow. That's news to me.