Pearl Rosemont: Multifamily At 102 Dennis St.

skooljunkie

16 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think the facade testing has been up for months, if my memory serves me correctly.  This one is taking a loooong time to get going.

This Google streetview shows that it's been there since at least December 2018:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2704+Helena+St,+Houston,+TX+77006/@29.7486156,-95.3816991,3a,75y,313.3h,92.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0e75-MkQnNphV50ysomjJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640bf6823968773:0x28b21434453a8ad7!8m2!3d29.7487271!4d-95.381911

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Calling on @swtsig, @CREguy13

Morgan Group to Break Ground on 13-Story Tower in Houston

https://www.costar.com/article/2133413717/morgan-group-to-break-ground-on-13-story-tower-in-houston

Vacant lot at the corner of Dennis and Helena is going to get a 13-story tower called Pearl Rosemont (instead of Mont-rose, get it?), which will begin in December 2019 or 1Q 2020. Originally proposed in 2015. Will include 298 units on top of a parking podium and total 260,000 SF. Referred to as Pearl on Helena in planning documents with the city. Will have nicer finishes than Pearl Marketplace; they think the neighborhood is better here. Name could change again.

That's all the interesting stuff.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6

On 9/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Urbannizer said:

With this now underway, and with no plans posted on here yet for some strange reason, I'm going to pull images from this post made by urbannizer last year. If there are any updates in plan or renders please update.

SR9c0Bf.png

cswKfkC.png

iYOnmQj.png

ic6cNlp.png

• Like 9

That sliver of Midtown (or Montrose or the Fourth Ward or whatever it’s called) is certainly a great place to live, very walkable and convenient to a lot but closed off enough that it doesn’t get much vehicular traffic.

Was this part of the Fourth Ward Redevelopment Authority land?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, wilcal said:

Some movement on site this morning. Looks like they were tearing down the old facade wall from the other site?

6voUIs5.jpg

Appears the facade mock up is different but still up, but looks different. I wish I had taken a pic. Appears the first resident has already moved in.

afjkPMK.jpg

NBGfV9i.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really going to try to leverage the construction of this to keep my rent the same next year 😂

Excited to see it go up, though. Was showing this dev to a former NYC planner and they were blown away that such a thing is possible "in the middle of a neighborhood". 

I still think that a small coffee shop open to the public would do really well here, but I know that it would likely cause tremendous issues with parking and having a public lot. 

• Like 3

Well, it wouldn't need parking. It might be interesting if the developer could implement time limits on street parking around the block - that would provide plenty of parking that would really only be useful for someone stopping to get coffee.

But generally speaking - this neighborhood is dense enough that a coffee shop (of all places) could do just fine without dedicated parking.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Really going to try to leverage the construction of this to keep my rent the same next year 😂

Excited to see it go up, though. Was showing this dev to a former NYC planner and they were blown away that such a thing is possible "in the middle of a neighborhood". 

I still think that a small coffee shop open to the public would do really well here, but I know that it would likely cause tremendous issues with parking and having a public lot. 

Mention this to a few people. I fully expected my rent in Montrose to go up this year, but it didn't. More building equals more competition. If you want to keep rents "affordable" then one should be in favor of more development as it only provides more options which makes it a sellers market which drops the price.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well, it wouldn't need parking. It might be interesting if the developer could implement time limits on street parking around the block - that would provide plenty of parking that would really only be useful for someone stopping to get coffee.

But generally speaking - this neighborhood is dense enough that a coffee shop (of all places) could do just fine without dedicated parking.

This block is outside the market based parking area, so they would have to provide off-street parking.

14 hours ago, Luminare said:

Mention this to a few people. I fully expected my rent in Montrose to go up this year, but it didn't. More building equals more competition. If you want to keep rents "affordable" then one should be in favor of more development as it only provides more options which makes it a sellers market which drops the price.

The place I live is not competing with these new high rises😂 I get what you mean, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BeerNut said:

I wonder if there is a case to increase market based parking at the boundary of the designated area?  

Absolutely. The Houston Resilient plan and the draft of the Climate Action Plan both call for widespread extension of market-based parking within the next decade (like within 610).

• Like 3

A small (emphasis on small) coffee shop wouldn't need much parking, even subject to the City's absurd requirements. Something like dedicated timed on-street parking *might* just pass muster with the Planning Commission.

That said, I of course agree with expanding the market based parking area. I'm still annoyed that SE midtown/inner/lower/west? 3rd ward got carved out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

A small (emphasis on small) coffee shop wouldn't need much parking, even subject to the City's absurd requirements. Something like dedicated timed on-street parking *might* just pass muster with the Planning Commission.

That said, I of course agree with expanding the market based parking area. I'm still annoyed that SE midtown/inner/lower/west? 3rd ward got carved out.

I'm torn on the neighborhood supporting a measure like that, but something a la the 10 minute parking in front of Izakaya would have sufficed. Fluff bake bar just moved out from that block, and she said that the constant break-ins, and the lack of easily accessible parking kept her from fully succeeding. 

I go down Bagby every day, and there were repetitive offenders taking advantage of the 10 minute parking area (one was a bright yellow Datsun pickup truck. I mean, you don't exactly blend in). Hou Parking is rather lax in enforcing parking anywhere, much less there 😕

For people not too familiar with the area, I marked the block we are talking about with the star. The striped marked area is the original market-based parking area. The non-striped additions were added 3Q19 and don't require parking in any form for residential or commercial.

zDMNJtt.png

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...