Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://zieglercooper.com/morgan-pearl-rosemont/            

Looks like this one is going up 🥳       Full List:

Ask and you shall receive:   Morgan Group to Break Ground on 13-Story Tower in Houston Exclusive: Developer to Start Construction on Project That has Been on Hold The developer beh

Posted Images

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

 

RISE Lofts just a few blocks away is of a similar height, and it seems as though the developers are addressing any traffic flow/accessibility concerns, so I don’t see how any opposition to this will be remotely successful.

 

On a related note, is “pedestrian realm” a legitimate industry term, or is the developer trying to be “hip” and “cool” by pushing a new buzzword?

 

As one who works in architecture, this is used quite often. Academics use it, Architects use it, designers use it. Its also one of the few architectural terms that is also marketable and understandable to the average layman, and is therefore good for marketing purposes.

 

with that being said....it has definitely become a term to label a development as "hip" and "cool". Not all developers use it appropriately or work with it as it is defined.

 

What is encouraging with Morgan Groups use of the term is how it relates to Midtown TIRZ and the Midtown Authority. They are designing to their standards (which are some of the most comprehensive in this city to date).

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jgriff said:

 

Because they want something from the developer or just generally oppose the development and will use any means to stop it. 

 

Sometimes. Sometimes its completely valid. Especially when buildings get tall. Then we are getting into things like sunlight, views, and a general feeling of people stacking themselves on top of one another. This is exactly why New York has setback requirements at certain stages of a building so light can pass through, etc... I'm also fine with opposition doing these for selfish reasons especially if its for the rational reasons stated previously (although all of them are quite subjective in nature). The only thing I'm not fine with is if its for completely irrational reasons.

Edited by Luminare
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

Sometimes. Sometimes its completely valid. Especially when buildings get tall. Then we are getting into things like sunlight, views, and a general feeling of people stacking themselves on top of one another. This is exactly why New York has setback requirements at certain stages of a building so light can pass through, etc... I'm also fine with opposition doing these for selfish reasons especially if its for the rational reasons stated previously (although all of them are quite subjective in nature). The only thing I'm not fine with is if its for completely irrational reasons.

I agree. It’s not always used for selfish or corrupt reasons but it sure is a good setup for graft.

Edited by jgriff
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ADCS said:

 

Why would anyone oppose the setback variances?

 

Couple different reasons. 

 

For some, it's, "I oppose this project, so hopefully if the variance is rejected the project will go away."

 

For others it's too much density, so setbacks will reduce the number of units/amount of parking/effect on traffic.

 

Other people are just angry at either developers in general or this develop in particular, and oppose anything the developer supports.

 

Other people don't understand the relationship between setbacks and walkability, and just want more "green space," even though empty green space, like front yards, is dumb and useless.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...
6 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think the facade testing has been up for months, if my memory serves me correctly.  This one is taking a loooong time to get going.

 

Doesn't look like any recent activity is taking place, just didn't remember seeing this. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think the facade testing has been up for months, if my memory serves me correctly.  This one is taking a loooong time to get going.

 

This Google streetview shows that it's been there since at least December 2018:

 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2704+Helena+St,+Houston,+TX+77006/@29.7486156,-95.3816991,3a,75y,313.3h,92.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0e75-MkQnNphV50ysomjJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640bf6823968773:0x28b21434453a8ad7!8m2!3d29.7487271!4d-95.381911

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Calling on @swtsig, @CREguy13

 

Morgan Group to Break Ground on 13-Story Tower in Houston

 

https://www.costar.com/article/2133413717/morgan-group-to-break-ground-on-13-story-tower-in-houston

 

Vacant lot at the corner of Dennis and Helena is going to get a 13-story tower called Pearl Rosemont (instead of Mont-rose, get it?), which will begin in December 2019 or 1Q 2020. Originally proposed in 2015. Will include 298 units on top of a parking podium and total 260,000 SF. Referred to as Pearl on Helena in planning documents with the city. Will have nicer finishes than Pearl Marketplace; they think the neighborhood is better here. Name could change again.

 

That's all the interesting stuff.

 

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Urbannizer said:

 

With this now underway, and with no plans posted on here yet for some strange reason, I'm going to pull images from this post made by urbannizer last year. If there are any updates in plan or renders please update.

 

SR9c0Bf.png

 

cswKfkC.png

 

iYOnmQj.png

 

ic6cNlp.png

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

That sliver of Midtown (or Montrose or the Fourth Ward or whatever it’s called) is certainly a great place to live, very walkable and convenient to a lot but closed off enough that it doesn’t get much vehicular traffic.

 

Was this part of the Fourth Ward Redevelopment Authority land?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, wilcal said:

Some movement on site this morning. Looks like they were tearing down the old facade wall from the other site?

 

6voUIs5.jpg

Appears the facade mock up is different but still up, but looks different. I wish I had taken a pic. Appears the first resident has already moved in.

afjkPMK.jpg

NBGfV9i.jpg

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really going to try to leverage the construction of this to keep my rent the same next year 😂

 

Excited to see it go up, though. Was showing this dev to a former NYC planner and they were blown away that such a thing is possible "in the middle of a neighborhood". 

 

I still think that a small coffee shop open to the public would do really well here, but I know that it would likely cause tremendous issues with parking and having a public lot. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it wouldn't need parking. It might be interesting if the developer could implement time limits on street parking around the block - that would provide plenty of parking that would really only be useful for someone stopping to get coffee.

 

But generally speaking - this neighborhood is dense enough that a coffee shop (of all places) could do just fine without dedicated parking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Really going to try to leverage the construction of this to keep my rent the same next year 😂

 

Excited to see it go up, though. Was showing this dev to a former NYC planner and they were blown away that such a thing is possible "in the middle of a neighborhood". 

 

I still think that a small coffee shop open to the public would do really well here, but I know that it would likely cause tremendous issues with parking and having a public lot. 

 

Mention this to a few people. I fully expected my rent in Montrose to go up this year, but it didn't. More building equals more competition. If you want to keep rents "affordable" then one should be in favor of more development as it only provides more options which makes it a sellers market which drops the price.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well, it wouldn't need parking. It might be interesting if the developer could implement time limits on street parking around the block - that would provide plenty of parking that would really only be useful for someone stopping to get coffee.

 

But generally speaking - this neighborhood is dense enough that a coffee shop (of all places) could do just fine without dedicated parking.

 

This block is outside the market based parking area, so they would have to provide off-street parking.

 

14 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

Mention this to a few people. I fully expected my rent in Montrose to go up this year, but it didn't. More building equals more competition. If you want to keep rents "affordable" then one should be in favor of more development as it only provides more options which makes it a sellers market which drops the price.

 

The place I live is not competing with these new high rises😂 I get what you mean, though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, wilcal said:

 

This block is outside the market based parking area, so they would have to provide off-street parking.

 

I wonder if there is a case to increase market based parking at the boundary of the designated area?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BeerNut said:

 

I wonder if there is a case to increase market based parking at the boundary of the designated area?  

 

Absolutely. The Houston Resilient plan and the draft of the Climate Action Plan both call for widespread extension of market-based parking within the next decade (like within 610).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A small (emphasis on small) coffee shop wouldn't need much parking, even subject to the City's absurd requirements. Something like dedicated timed on-street parking *might* just pass muster with the Planning Commission.

 

That said, I of course agree with expanding the market based parking area. I'm still annoyed that SE midtown/inner/lower/west? 3rd ward got carved out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texasota said:

A small (emphasis on small) coffee shop wouldn't need much parking, even subject to the City's absurd requirements. Something like dedicated timed on-street parking *might* just pass muster with the Planning Commission.

 

That said, I of course agree with expanding the market based parking area. I'm still annoyed that SE midtown/inner/lower/west? 3rd ward got carved out.

 

I'm torn on the neighborhood supporting a measure like that, but something a la the 10 minute parking in front of Izakaya would have sufficed. Fluff bake bar just moved out from that block, and she said that the constant break-ins, and the lack of easily accessible parking kept her from fully succeeding. 

 

I go down Bagby every day, and there were repetitive offenders taking advantage of the 10 minute parking area (one was a bright yellow Datsun pickup truck. I mean, you don't exactly blend in). Hou Parking is rather lax in enforcing parking anywhere, much less there 😕

 

For people not too familiar with the area, I marked the block we are talking about with the star. The striped marked area is the original market-based parking area. The non-striped additions were added 3Q19 and don't require parking in any form for residential or commercial.

 

zDMNJtt.png

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It's only 1 block from city place, and everywhere around it is either 3 or 4 stories, so it won't look too crazy, but 13 floors is definitely a big step up from 5 floor Texas donuts and 3 story townhouses

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I live real close to this one, so looking forward to making lots of posts about it!

There are a surprising number of town homes in the complex to the right of this photo for sale (across Drew) and I think they were wanting to sell before construction. 

 

Really wish that there was a small amount of retail in this for a little coffee shop or something, but oh well. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...