Sign in to follow this  
skooljunkie

Pearl on Helena by The Morgan Group

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

RISE Lofts just a few blocks away is of a similar height, and it seems as though the developers are addressing any traffic flow/accessibility concerns, so I don’t see how any opposition to this will be remotely successful.

On a related note, is “pedestrian realm” a legitimate industry term, or is the developer trying to be “hip” and “cool” by pushing a new buzzword?

As one who works in architecture, this is used quite often. Academics use it, Architects use it, designers use it. Its also one of the few architectural terms that is also marketable and understandable to the average layman, and is therefore good for marketing purposes.

with that being said....it has definitely become a term to label a development as "hip" and "cool". Not all developers use it appropriately or work with it as it is defined.

What is encouraging with Morgan Groups use of the term is how it relates to Midtown TIRZ and the Midtown Authority. They are designing to their standards (which are some of the most comprehensive in this city to date).

9 hours ago, Angostura said:

Notwithstanding some neighborhood opposition, the setback variances were approved last week.

Why would anyone oppose the setback variances?

36 minutes ago, ADCS said:

Because they want something from the developer or just generally oppose the development and will use any means to stop it. 

31 minutes ago, jgriff said:

Because they want something from the developer or just generally oppose the development and will use any means to stop it. 

Sometimes. Sometimes its completely valid. Especially when buildings get tall. Then we are getting into things like sunlight, views, and a general feeling of people stacking themselves on top of one another. This is exactly why New York has setback requirements at certain stages of a building so light can pass through, etc... I'm also fine with opposition doing these for selfish reasons especially if its for the rational reasons stated previously (although all of them are quite subjective in nature). The only thing I'm not fine with is if its for completely irrational reasons.

Edited by Luminare

23 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Sometimes. Sometimes its completely valid. Especially when buildings get tall. Then we are getting into things like sunlight, views, and a general feeling of people stacking themselves on top of one another. This is exactly why New York has setback requirements at certain stages of a building so light can pass through, etc... I'm also fine with opposition doing these for selfish reasons especially if its for the rational reasons stated previously (although all of them are quite subjective in nature). The only thing I'm not fine with is if its for completely irrational reasons.

I agree. It’s not always used for selfish or corrupt reasons but it sure is a good setup for graft.

Edited by jgriff

15 hours ago, ADCS said:

Couple different reasons. 

For some, it's, "I oppose this project, so hopefully if the variance is rejected the project will go away."

For others it's too much density, so setbacks will reduce the number of units/amount of parking/effect on traffic.

Other people are just angry at either developers in general or this develop in particular, and oppose anything the developer supports.

Other people don't understand the relationship between setbacks and walkability, and just want more "green space," even though empty green space, like front yards, is dumb and useless.

• Like 1

Facade testing is up:

vXDnpRr.jpg

I just moved around the corner, so can make frequent updates on this one. Had no idea it was gonna be so big. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think the facade testing has been up for months, if my memory serves me correctly.  This one is taking a loooong time to get going.

Doesn't look like any recent activity is taking place, just didn't remember seeing this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I think the facade testing has been up for months, if my memory serves me correctly.  This one is taking a loooong time to get going.

This Google streetview shows that it's been there since at least December 2018:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2704+Helena+St,+Houston,+TX+77006/@29.7486156,-95.3816991,3a,75y,313.3h,92.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0e75-MkQnNphV50ysomjJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x8640bf6823968773:0x28b21434453a8ad7!8m2!3d29.7487271!4d-95.381911

• Like 2

I think if you look at what Pearl has done in Midtown, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get started on this bad boy until the Whole Foods is totally open and done. Not sure if they or whole foods are doing the work for the grocery store but it's full go in there right now INSIDE

• Like 1

Workers on site this morning

eAyvn5v.jpg

Looks like they are keeping some metal fencing inside, so maybe this corner is just a staging area for a different site? I think the trailer was empty. 

The fencing is not in the Google Street View image from above. I should have stopped and chatted with them. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Calling on @swtsig, @CREguy13

Morgan Group to Break Ground on 13-Story Tower in Houston

https://www.costar.com/article/2133413717/morgan-group-to-break-ground-on-13-story-tower-in-houston

Vacant lot at the corner of Dennis and Helena is going to get a 13-story tower called Pearl Rosemont (instead of Mont-rose, get it?), which will begin in December 2019 or 1Q 2020. Originally proposed in 2015. Will include 298 units on top of a parking podium and total 260,000 SF. Referred to as Pearl on Helena in planning documents with the city. Will have nicer finishes than Pearl Marketplace; they think the neighborhood is better here. Name could change again.

That's all the interesting stuff.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 5

On 9/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Urbannizer said:

With this now underway, and with no plans posted on here yet for some strange reason, I'm going to pull images from this post made by urbannizer last year. If there are any updates in plan or renders please update.

SR9c0Bf.png

cswKfkC.png

iYOnmQj.png

ic6cNlp.png

• Like 8

Daaaaaaamn. Alright, I guess this is happening again. 

Excited to see this one go up. Kind of wish there was some a ground floor coffee shop or tiny takeaway restaurant planned. 

• Like 3

That sliver of Midtown (or Montrose or the Fourth Ward or whatever it’s called) is certainly a great place to live, very walkable and convenient to a lot but closed off enough that it doesn’t get much vehicular traffic.

Was this part of the Fourth Ward Redevelopment Authority land?

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, wilcal said:

Some movement on site this morning. Looks like they were tearing down the old facade wall from the other site?

6voUIs5.jpg

Appears the facade mock up is different but still up, but looks different. I wish I had taken a pic. Appears the first resident has already moved in.

afjkPMK.jpg

NBGfV9i.jpg

• Like 5