Winn-Dixie Grocery Stores

IronTiger

I'm a bit surprised that of all the defunct Houston grocery stores that are discussed (Albertsons, Safeway, AppleTree, Food Lion), I've never seen Winn-Dixie on that list. Maybe it was because it was a reliably "southern" store and never entered Houston's market because it was too crowded (it entered Dallas-Fort Worth, Bryan-College Station, and Waco, and some of those stores lasted until 2002). Perhaps it entered the suburbs, but I've never seen anything in Chron articles to indicate so...

Anyone know whether they did or didn't, and if not, why not?

I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge Winn-Dixie never made it to Houston, I certainly do not remember ever seeing one. There was one large Southern chain that did come to Houston can't remember the name right now that didn't last over about six months or a year. About the time they built some stores here there was a big problem with some tainted meat or something of that nature at some of their stores in the deep South. The publicity from that killed the stores here and they were soon gone. For some reason Food Lion keeps popping up in my mind but I can't be for sure. We had some Piggly Wiggly stores in Houston at one time but they have been long gone. Piggly Wiggly is very entrenched in the south.

I can't find a date, but sometime in the '70s, Winn Dixie bought out the Buddies chain that operated in Tarrant & Dallas (possibly other areas) counties. I lived in Dallas, '71 to '78, and Buddies had TV slogan "the beef people at Buddies". In '78 moved to Atlanta GA & heard/saw same slogan for Winn Dixie. Also same store brands.

Yeah, there were definitely W-D stores in Dallas, and also in Waco (former AppleTrees, interestingly), and Bryan-College Station, and points east (Louisiana, and probably Beaumont), but nothing in Houston except for possibly some in the southeastern suburbs.

• The title was changed to Winn-Dixie Grocery Stores

Archived